Best XML library?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Best XML library?

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#1]
What's the best xml library in your opinon? I've seen countless ones but never paid much attention at the time (Never had a need until now )

I'm looking for something that's easy to use but also flexible enough to fully exploit any siturations xml may require.

I only need xml reading, not writing.

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
I'd go with JohnJ's. MaXML I think is what it's called.

AntonyWells(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah using it now, works well.

OgreMax now offically supports scene loader files with event callbacks just like you get in the c++ version.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#4]
The problem with the current *2* implementations of XML modules is that they don't handle much in the way of complex xml, and they are both extremely slow in relation to "proper" xml parsers.

For examples, maXML and Noel's XML module takes 25 seconds to load a 15meg test xml file, whereas the libxml module loads it 0.8 seconds.
That and they neither support namespaces, DTDs, text nodes, and all that other stuff that comes with XML...

But for general usage, they are useful in their own ways.

:-)

John J.(Posted 2006) [#5]
For examples, maXML and Noel's XML module takes 25 seconds to load a 15meg test xml file

That's strange.. I don't know about cower.xml (since it seems to crash no matter what XML file I try it with), but MaXML 2 should be able to load a 15 MB file in less than 3 seconds (at least on my computer). Maybe you're forgetting to turn debug mode off?

N(Posted 2006) [#6]
That's strange.. I don't know about cower.xml (since it seems to crash no matter what XML file I try it with), but MaXML 2 should be able to load a 15 MB file in less than 3 seconds (at least on my computer). Maybe you're forgetting to turn debug mode off?

You're probably forgetting in the differences in speed between your computer and others' computers.

However.. what the heck are you doing with a 15mb Xml file? If the data is that large you would probably want to consider using a binary format, or at least compile the Xml data to a binary format.