Universal Binaries

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Universal Binaries

CoderLaureate(Posted 2006) [#1]
Will there be Universal Binary versions of BMax available for the Mac?

ozak(Posted 2006) [#2]
I fiddled a bit with this on the PowerPC mac, and it seems the developer tools can create binaries for both platforms.
So it should be possible to add to Max.
Dunno if anything is planned though :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#3]
That would be nice - if it could guarantee that ALL you need is one actual computer and that it definitely will run correctly and exactly the same on the other platforms. Obviously if it were to market itself that way, people would not be buying it on the offchance that it might possible work on the other platform but could have some issues.

overmeeren(Posted 2006) [#4]
As I understand current version of BMax can produce universal binaries. I think the compiler itself and the ide are still PPC. I've done a rebuild on all modules, but cant seem to compile the IDE as universal, either an error in stdc.c or it comes up with error: Can't find interface for module 'brl.win32maxgui' (brrr win32, that scares me :) )

Sofar all the samples I've tried compile without any problem on intel mac and are all very fast. BMax is very usable right now on intel mac.

overmeeren(Posted 2006) [#5]
Just checked, the compiler is a PPC binary, but runs fine, maybe it would compile faster as a native application, but it's certainly not slow.

Code compiled with it shows up as intel binaries in the activity monitor under processes, these binaries run very fast.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#6]
It would be nice if the PPC platform could build both binary types and vice versa. I don't want to maintain both an PPC and Intel macs. (They are just too damn expensive still ;)

CoderLaureate(Posted 2006) [#7]
I agree with you ozak.

A universal binary version of the bmax ide and compiler for the mac would be ideal. Kind of a "one size fits all" situation.

pls(Posted 2006) [#8]
This is something I really need.

Fingers crossed on BRL getting it right.

PLS