Game to Browser

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Game to Browser

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#1]
I need to be able to do one of these things:
1) Minimize a full-screen game and automatically launch a web browser, with the ability to re-enter the game by clicking on it's docked tab.
or...
2) Automatically launch a web browser upon exiting a game.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
try saying please :-)

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#3]
Grey Alien: come on, man. If you've ever looked at any of my previous posts, you'd see that I generously dish out the "thank you"s and "you rock!" when someone takes the time to give me help.

But now, apparently I have to be treated like a child just to have someone point me to the information I need. This is wasting everyone's time.

So, PLEASE, could someone point me to the information I am looking for. I truly appreciate the generous support this community has shown, not just me but to anyone who is looking to make sense of this poorly documented application.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#4]
2) Automatically launch a web browser upon exiting a game.

This seems to do the job:
Input "Press Enter to quit and launch browser..."
OpenURL "http://blitzbasic.com"
End

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#5]
Have you tried to create a window with MaxGUI?
This makes your fullscrean to be minimized and make active the window you just created.
A fair easy way is to pause your game and then create the browser window.

Edit:OpenURL? This is so good.

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#6]
Wendell: yes, that was just what I was looking for. Thanks man.

Haramanai: thanks for taking time to respond!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#7]
Sorry you were offended, I just think a bit of politeness goes a long way. You've closed the brackets with a "thanks" why not open the brackets with a "please" and people like me will be more likely to respond (perhaps) :-)

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#8]
Don't worry 'bout it, Grey. I wasn't offended- I just needed the info and wasn't in the mood to be lectured. I agree with you...everyone on the internet can benefit from a bit of politeness.

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#9]
Wendel:
"Input "Press Enter to quit and launch browser..."
OpenURL "http://blitzbasic.com"
End"

That post was the ONLY thing keeping me from sending out my newest microgame! I send you great big forum hug!!

Miss Blitz

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#10]
Tut tut, grammar's been slipping on these forums lately.

http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~csk/its.html

Scaremonger(Posted 2008) [#11]
WendellM: I think your code should read:
Input "PLEASE Press Enter to quit and launch browser..."

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

:)

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#12]
1 year ago? It seems like just last week I was reading this. How time flies.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#13]
Ironically, I stopped using "OpenURL" because it is NOT cross-platform friendly under all circumstances. On my game you'll see that clicking "Help" from the launch window does open a HTML help page, but only on Mac and Windows. It fails on Linux (actually, the system locks hard so it was removed.) This was tested on several different platforms during beta testing.

Although small sample programs work fine using OpenURL under Linux, my game did not and I was never able to find the cause of the issue.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#14]
Under which circumstances does it not work? Beside on Linux where the whole Gui related part does not work due to a missing "UI Kit" standard on Linux itself