Side Scrolling Car Physics

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Side Scrolling Car Physics

daaan(Posted 2006) [#1]
What is the easiest way to get basic car physics from a side perspective. I want the car to be able to drive off of ramps and go down stairs etc, etc, etc. I have no idea where to start.

Thanks

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#2]
If you've no idea where to start maybe it's a bit beyond your ability?

daaan(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well... perhaps. I have many of my own ideas of going about this and doing it... but none of them are easy. I was hoping that someone would have a magical easy solution.

? :) ?

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#4]
Do a search (here and elsewhere) on verlet physics. I would have been more specific, but I'm at work and don't have time to filter through the (many) results to find what exactly I was looking for, but a lil while ago there were verlet physics examples that included a jeepy-type thing whizzing along left-to-right in a 2D sorta way.

Sounds like your sorta thing.

There were also a couple of demos on the old BlitzCoder site featuring similar things - Google should be able to help you find those. And if worse comes to worst, I believe I have some of those demos (including source code) at home and I can dig them up if you can't find anything in the meantime.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#5]
I have that particular demo right here as a matter of fact. I don't want to post it without the original author's permission though. (Andreas Blixt)

Since it was released to the public though I can email it to you privately if you cannot find it otherwise.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#6]
Really? Given he'd posted it to the BlitzCoder showcase, and supplied the source code to it, I was working on the principle he didn't mind people having it. Fair enough though.

Btw, are you the Pongo that did the cover artwork for Krylar's 2D game programming book (amongst others)? I was wondering. :o)

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#7]
It's not that he doesn't mind people having it, I just don't post other people's code without their permission. That's why I said I can email it directly, I just don't want to post it, clear?

And yes, I did that cover and the artwork for the examples on the CD.

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#8]
About Verlet check out the port of Flade and the great article in the GamaSutra Advanced Character Physics.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#9]
Fair enough though.

Clear.

daaan(Posted 2006) [#10]
@Pongo - That would be great if you would email me the source.

@Haramanai - wow! the car demo in that is perfect! thanks!

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#11]
Email sent,... if you liked that car demo, you will really love what I just sent you!

drnmr(Posted 2006) [#12]
Could you send me what you sent daniel?

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#13]
sent.

If anyone else wishes to have it, feel free to email me directly with a clear subject "verlet stuff" or something that I will know is not spam.

Better yet, does anyone know if Andreas is still around at all? Perhaps that code could be placed somewhere here for future reference.

ragtag(Posted 2006) [#14]
Do you know what license it's published under, Pongo?

I checked out the Flade port earlier and though that was very cool, but unfortunately it's GPL; which means, as far as I can tell, that any game that uses it must also be released under GPL.

Ragnar

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#15]
as far as I know it is completely free for use. It was posted publicly on the Blitzcoder showcase, and there is no readme or additional info with it.