.Ogg Loading

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/.Ogg Loading

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#1]
Ok, I have a problem, if I load and unload lots of .ogg files in the middle of a game, it 'really' swamps Windows' virtual ram. When I quit back to windows, I have 2 or 3 minutes of super harddrive churning whilst my swapfile reorders it self and Windows is just uncontrollable.

Is there are way around this problem?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#2]
I don't think there is currently a way around the long OGG load times, or their effects on virtual ram in BlitzMax until streaming support is added (PlayMusic).

I ended up having to write a background program in Blitz+ to stream the ogg music for my game, this helped remove the 15 second initial load time and other issues. Not the prettiest solution, but it works.

* edit *
Make sure you're setting the ogg handles to null and try manual garbage collection

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yes, I'm doing that all that, can't get rid of the problem though. If I try this in old skool Blitz I don't seem to get this problem.

You say that in Blitz it's not streaming anymore? Well no wonder it's a hardrive killer.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#4]
Is streaming support planned at all?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#5]
Is there are way around this problem?
Don't use Windows 98.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#6]
OGG Streaming seems not to be in the BMax future plans, and BMax's own sound driver have issues with Win98.

I'm trying to utilize portaudio for such task, however the first thing to I'm trying is utilizing minifmod to work with this...

I just want a simple sound engine can support xm and ogg streaming, for those want a advanced one http://audiere.sourceforge.net/ audiere may do the job(and it includes many libs and formats)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#7]
> Don't use Windows 98.

This happens in XP! Natch ;)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#8]
Try this:-

Copy about 10-20 oggs into the same dir (3-4 mins each), now write a program in BMax.

Load one into memory, Free it, and garbage collect it.
Do this for all 19 ogg files in succession, now end your program and observe.

WINDOWS XP HAS DIED!

VP(Posted 2006) [#9]
Aren't there DLL's to handle music stuff, outside of the scope of bmx's usual audio oojimaflip?