Exe in Browser

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Exe in Browser

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#1]
Anyone know how to get a blitzmax exe to play 'live' in a browser?? I'll be going live with Gellyware.com on May 1st, 2006 and I want to have a "Play Now" feature that will pop up a window with a playable game demo. How is this done?

I've seen indiepath's igloader, but I'm trying to keep a level of control in-house without relying on someone else's licensing/updates/features/etc.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#2]
I've seen indiepath's igloader, but I'm trying to keep a level of control in-house without relying on someone else's licensing/updates/features/etc.
Then you'll have to write it yourself. Obviously.

If it was me, I'd go with igLoader and be done with it.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#3]
Obviously.

What I am asking is how is this typically done?

popcade(Posted 2006) [#4]
I think this is relative to igLoader, you can contact IndiePath, with paying some $$ you can use it.

Or, wait for GrassHopper, I think it will be done later.

gellyware(Posted 2006) [#5]
I'm not sure what part of what I am asking here is not clear.

I DO NOT want to use igLoader unless I have to.

I DO NOT like the idea of someone else having control of a system run on my site that must apply for any and every game hosted there.

To buy an outright unlimited license for igLoader is $10,000 USD... or the $60 per title isn't bad, but once gellyware.com relies on this system, Indiepath has control over how much to sell licenses for, quit selling the license all together, or many other possible scenarios.

I'm not anti-igloader or anything, I just do not want to have to rely on someone elses program/license for a very integral part of the gellyware site!!!!

What I am asking is how does something like igLoader work? What scripting language or language is it written in? How difficult is this to replicate? Etc....

popcade(Posted 2006) [#6]
I think you have to write your own control, if there's such solution, igLoader and Ancientsoft's Loader won't exist.

Or like M$, letting user to download a small exe-stub, and download needed thing when rquired.

Another way I saw is via a javaVM, which is even more annoying.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yup. Use an activeX control to startup your app. There are other ways but usually involves unholy magic of the type that makes God cry ;)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#8]
I DO NOT like the idea of someone else having control of a system run on my site that must apply for any and every game hosted there.
Welcome to the world of software licensing.

igLoader is written in c++. The actual operation of the dll is quite simple, in terms of what it does, it's the implementation that's the killer.

I'd offer a custom build but the issue for you is that I would still need to lock it down. I can't risk the reputation of my software or company due to someone using it to deliver some software nasties. I'd rather lose the orders than take that risk. Security should be the primary concern.

You could use Grasshopper, it's free but not open source, it works but it's not as flexible, I'm not sure if it can pull remote files yet and I don't think you can brand it.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#9]
PS. If it was easy everyone would be doing it!

PPS. ActiveX is IE only, igLoader works on everything and very soon it'll be working 100% on the Mac.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#10]
What I am asking is how is this typically done?

Typically it's done by licensing one of the hand full of plugins like IGLoader, re-inventing the wheel and write one yourself, or by creating the game in either flash or java in the first place.

I'm not aware of any free plugins that will do what you want.

(Many of these plugins only work properly in Internet Exploder, while igloader also supports other browsers.)

ckob(Posted 2006) [#11]
isnt that what this is?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=7206&log=595

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#12]
dont force other peoples wares onto devs, he said he DIDNT want to use loader etc, its not that hard a task to have exes in browsers.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#13]
its not that hard a task to have exes in browsers.
That's somewhat of an understatement.

Besides which, it doesn't really matter whether it's hard or not. It matters whether you can do it for less than what indiepath is asking in licenses. In the immortal words of Fred Brooks, "The cheapest way to develop software is to buy it off the shelf".

I realise developer types have a tendancy to code everything themselves, come hell or high water. More often than not, this is simply not an cost effective way to work.

VP(Posted 2006) [#14]
@FD: It would entirely depend on what you have more of; time or money.

From memory, Indie had a whole heap of fun tracking down bugs and browser idiosynchratic behaviour when developing igLoader. I don't think I'd like to try my hand at reacreating it.

@gellyware: exe-in-a-browser is a very attractive thing, but aas you can see it's also a not-so-easy thing (to do the way you want to). You've either got to bite the bullet and try developing your own loader, or you design your site around the problem and just offer standard downloads.

Personally, I'd like to see you go for making your own loader. Market could do with some competition ;)