Application hangs,

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Application hangs,

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#1]
hello. Im making an application in max 1.16. Its pretty simple. It talks with my server when it starts and gets rules for the computer. everything works great. It does exactly what i want it to do but when i leave it on for the night it has locked up at 100% proccessor usage in the morning.
Please do anyone have any ideas i can try?
I converted it to superstrict
I use Longs with millisecs() (does that make any sence?)
i use sockets, at first i used gnet but the bug was still there after i remade it with sockets.
I started with automatic garbage collection and I now changed it to manual.

Is there anything else one can think of?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#2]
Do a PollSystem (or whatever its called) every now and then. Also it could be the event queue overflowing if it's not being purged regularly.

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks! ill try that. I guess ill know the answer on monday :( hehe

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#4]
monday morning. it didnt work. the test computers were all locked up by the program running at 100% proccessor usage
:( Any more ideas anyone? im installing max118 now and see if there is any difference.
urg. i dont understand it. maybe ill just make an empty exe and see if it hangs as well

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#5]
Workaround: add delay(1) in the main loop.

Ahm, also: Do you use Debuglogging by now?

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#6]
Well. I already have a delay of 100 in the main loop.
and debuging is off.

I did add some flushstream to the socket commands though today and recompiled with max118. i guess i will see if there is any difference by the time i go home or tommorow.

thanks though! im thankfull for any hints!

Tibit(Posted 2006) [#7]
I have the same problem, my application just hangs the whole computer (something with sockets I suspect) did not happen before, it has nothing to do with the IDE, tried BLide, the default and the community's.

However my hangs the second I close the application :(

So it makes debugging impossible.

If you find a solution I would be happy to try it.

I'm going to try to revert the latest patch too, in case the error lies in there.

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#8]
Well im quite surprised now. Its dont think there is any worng with my programming at all. I made a really short example code. basicly an empty loop and it crashes just the same. after arround 5-6 hours.
I think ill bugreport this

Tibit(Posted 2006) [#9]
It works with 1.12 (so far) so I'll go with that :)

Maybe it is the same for you.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#10]
use the latest 1.18.

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#11]
hehe. well thats an option even though a boring one.
and i am using 1.18 now and it was no difference

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#12]
I'm still planning some kind of p2p whiteboard for company lans but if you can not leave a max application running in the background, then its not much use!... (this is what you are saying right?)

Space_guy(Posted 2006) [#13]
yep. thats what im saying.