My First Module

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/My First Module

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi Everyone,

I've finished my first BlitzMax module!!! Quite simply, it allows you to extract song information (using ID3v2 tags) from multiple MP3 files using Object-Orientated commands etc, which you can display in your game.

Features:

>>Ability to read text tags (E.g. song title, artist, track no.)
>>Ability to read image tags (E.g. album cover are extracted as Pixmap which you can use in your app).
>>Ability to use OO commands and the older BASIC commands.

Here is the link to the latest version:
ID3 Tagz Module v1.00 - For BlitzMax 1.20 (Currently Windows Only)

I've written a full documentation describing the module and its licence in the module's doc folder (or it can be viewed by clicking the link in the Command Reference [MaxIDE]).

I will do my absolute best to release a recompiled copy of the module each time BRL release a new version of MAX to ensure it remains compatible with code.

Please let me know what you think. I've tested it and it works with Windows XP SP2 - BlitzMax v1.18 and Windows 2000 - BlitzMax v1.18. I'm trying to get Linux set-up on my XP computer so I can cross-compile - once I am up and running, I'll post an update.

Cheers

Seb

P.S. To install, extract the contents of the zip file into the BlitzMax\mod directory. I.e. the file structure on Windows should look like:

C:\Program Files\BlitzMax\mod\seb.mod\id3tagz.mod\

Xerra(Posted 2006) [#2]
This looks like exactly what I'm looking for as I'm having problems recycling old blitz code examples to get mp3 information with BlitzMax and I'm trying to write an mp3 player that will also upload playlists to my mp3 device.

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#3]
Brilliant - great to hear someone's using it. :P

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#4]
way to go Seb! its always nice to see people contributing back to the community...

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#5]
By the way, it's a very useful module. do you know if is there any module to play mp3 files?

SebHoll(Posted 2006) [#6]
ziggy: I think there were some licensing problems regarding the playback of MP3 files in MAX. Ages ago, I remember reading a post that suggested writing a BlitzPlus program that would play them - you could then operate the playback using networking messages. (This is hardly ideal, but just a thought.) I don't know if it has been discussed more recently and whether or not there's a better way to do it... :) When I get some free time, I'll have a look around to see what I can come up with.

Let me know how you get on

Seb