Win98 issues

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Win98 issues

*(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have released TileCascade on the net (coded in Max) but I have had reports that there are sound issues under windows 98. Is there any way to sort this out or is it a BlitzMax problem?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
Perhaps thats bound to the fact that Win98 is no longer supported by drivers and Microsoft.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#3]
Don't know if it's a DSound issue, you can try to use FMOD wrapper and set sound output in DSound Driver.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#4]
Perhaps thats bound to the fact that Win98 is no longer supported by drivers and Microsoft.

Actually... Win98 is currently still supported by Microsoft. Very close to its end-of-life, but not quite there yet:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.

Leiden(Posted 2006) [#5]
Windows 98 is gay, I dont know why anyone would use it ever.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#6]
Actually Win98 support the newer style WDM drivers too so it should be possible for your users to upgrade.

I have some compability experience as I've developed commercial games under Win9x/2K so if you could state which soundcards the problem occurs on, maybe I can remember something about these issues.
There where for instance problems with Soundcards getting the same IRQ as other devices in Win9x. Something that's gone on Win2k/XP.
Also some early SBLive cards would shutter and sometimes freeze the machine when a certain number of samples played at the same time. (This was a driver issue mind you. Lots of stuff can be fixed with a driver upgrade (or broken))

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#7]
Win98 is not supported anymore. Win98 SE is still supported. But even then: Win98 and ME don't get actual drivers anymore.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#8]
What does 'sound issues' mean exactly?

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#9]
Win98 is not supported anymore. Win98 SE is still supported.

That's what I thought too, but the Microsoft link above seems to hint that 98 first edition is still covered as well:

"July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy."

But even then: Win98 and ME don't get actual drivers anymore.

Given that the bulk of the drivers is written by third party hardware manufacturers, I don't think that's entirely true... Many still make drivers for Win9x for their products, since there's still customers using them. Not many, but it's still around.

I have an XP, a 2000 and an old 98 machine around myself, simply because the oldest box doesn't have enough horsepower & memory to run anyhting else. Just does some toddler games, so no need to upgrade it.

*(Posted 2006) [#10]
Sound issues mean stuttering sound etc.

Even though Win98 isnt supported SE is as everyone says, and as a shareware developer we should be aiming to develop for this too. I agree its nearing the end of its life but it isnt dead yet and even when it is there will still be a massive user base of potential customers that will still be using it, are we gonna alienate them because of sound issues? Blitz3d and plus still work on 98SE so why not Max?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#11]
BMAX has always been broken on Win98 with both GFX and SFX. I've posted fixes for GFX in the past but I've no idea how to deal with the sound issues. I suppose you could do what others are doing and create a "Sound Player" in B3D or BlitzPlus and run that alongside BMAX.

popcade(Posted 2006) [#12]
It's right the Win9x issue... as there's no DX sound driver for BMax, and the WinMM in 9x have problem playing more than one sound once.

You can use FMod ans alternative sound solution, and $100(per title) is pretty fair for such function,and extras like OGG/MP3/WMA streaming, module playing and so on.

However I prefer a lib that can statically linked, cross platform, and can switch DX/WinMM around, OpenAL or PortAudio "may" do this.... digging into the source then.

*(Posted 2006) [#13]
Indiepath: you mean use a Blitz+ app as a sort of wrapper for the game so it can play the sound in the background, this to me isnt a 100% solution to the idea. BMax should have this fixed TBH as it is a bug.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#14]
Perhaps the same holds for Win98 / ME as it holds for OSX 10.2.8: They are not supported anymore by BM.

*(Posted 2006) [#15]
Dreamora: that makes writing shareware with Max a problem as there are quite a few people out there that still use the old OS's, they may be for years to come.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#16]
> Windows 98 is gay, I dont know why anyone would use it ever.

Windows XP is gayer than an actual gay!