Linux version?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Linux version?

ozak(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi. I'm not the greatest linux user, so I was wondering.
Is the linux executable format crossplatform? Say, could I run Linux on my Apple iBook (Ubuntu) and run the Linux version of BlitzMax? Cause if not, I won't wipe my OS X install :)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
No, it is not. OSX has its own executable format. And each second OSX version is slightly different as well

ozak(Posted 2006) [#3]
I know that. But I was thinking about running Linux on my iBook, so I just want to know if the executables for BlitzMax will run on it :)

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#4]
I think it assumes PC byte order (Indianness) for Linux so that may cause problems, would be an interesting experiment!

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#5]
AFAIK (which ain't far at all <g>), it looks like "BlitzMax Linux" compiles are limited to "32-bit PC Linux." But I'll be interested in learning if otherwise.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#6]
I think it assumes PC byte order
It also assumes a CPU able to execute Intel op-codes.

AFAIK (which ain't far at all <g>), it looks like "BlitzMax Linux" compiles are limited to "32-bit PC Linux." But I'll be interested in learning if otherwise.
Well any processor that can execute i386 instructions I would imagine.

Supposedly an Intel Mac would do just fine. AFAIK there aren't any Intel iBooks tho'.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#7]
Sure, if you get Linux running on an intel mac ... thats the other problem ;-)
And not only the EFI is the problem but the fact that Linux is a slow ass OS, so it will take its time until it works with CoreDuo ;-)