Cross GUI request for comments

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Cross GUI request for comments

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#1]
The idea of Cross Gui is that it should look and behave the same in all three OS's

Check out the code sample, it aims to be OO friendly and event driven in a similar way to delphi OnEvent callbacks

What do you think of its easy of use?

I'm thinking of adding an extra parameter to the gui creation functions so you can specify the event callback function there as well...

There are one or two issues that I'm not happy with in regards to callback widget pointers, but I have a few ideas and theres still a fair bit to implement anyhow.

It also happens to side step some Nvidia issues that have made the Linux version of max basically unusable...

Its working on win32 and linux as we speak and I'm just waiting on my Mac Wizard to come back to me, but earlier versions have been working on the mac too! (those intel mac mini duo's do look tempting...)

here's a simpler version with just a window an single gl widget

<rant>and before some of you start whining at how horrible fltk2 looks its skinable, and I cant do everthing at once, mind you I never heard anyone say thunder bird looks horrid and its gui looks very similar to fltk2</rant>

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#2]
changed when to triggered

edit1.triggered(WHEN_CHANGED)

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#3]

N(Posted 2006) [#4]
Would Mac users really want an ugly GUI hovering around their pretty Aqua stuff?

Edit: The point to be made here is that if Mac users saw something like this, they'd think "Oh wow, it's not even like my Mac, it must suck" (mainly because the vast majority of Mac users are vain).

Scott Shaver(Posted 2006) [#5]
Programs aren't always geared toward end users (non-developers), this can still be useful.

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#6]
From the look at the drawCallBack for the glBox I have to say that this looks really intresting.
Really how you managed this?

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#7]
@scott, I've been sussed it is developer geared!

@Haramanai its a 2 stage wrapper theres the C level that binds fltk2 to max, and a thin layer that wraps all the widgets in one common max type

@noel re-*read* the rant tag its there for people like you

N(Posted 2006) [#8]
I'm not talking about how ugly it is to me, I'm talking about its marketability across all platforms. Nice try at avoiding the issue, but it didn't work.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#9]
ROFL - hook, line and sinker - you just cant help yourself

theres no avoiding going on, it will have its own custom skin eventually, just at the moment there are for more important things to implement...

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#10]
I'm definitely liking how the commands are laid out. Something I can definitely use. Realllly liking the event handling. I like the opengl stuff too. Nice set up! Gimme gimme gimme!

Fetze(Posted 2006) [#11]
The idea sounds really nice, but I think it would be a waste of potential, if there were no custom styles. So please, include a custom style feature ^^

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#12]
*you* can make fltk2 look however you like you just need to do a bit of research...

REDi(Posted 2006) [#13]
Sweeeet, I'm looking forward to this one chris.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#14]