BLIde 0.6.2 released

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 0.6.2 released

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi to everybody.
for newcomers BLIde is a free .net IDE (Integrated development environment) for BlitzMax. It is absolutely free. for more information, check http://www.blide.org/

This is the changelog for the new version:

Block commenting / uncommenting

Block regioning / unregioning

NEW application information dialog, enabling you to associate your application with your personal information

Some organization changes in the dependencies tree (there will be some improvements in further versions)

Additional file's manager can now add several files from the 'Import existing file' dialog

FIXED: Refresh dependencies bug

Now the TAB SIZE of the editor is customizable

New the start-up mode of BLIde is customizable (welcome page, open last, or do nothing)

FIXED: BLIde was crashing when there where not-module oriented forldes in the Blitzmax mod folder

FIXED: Autocompletion disabled inside literals

New BLIde logo (I love the new BLIde LOGO)

New organization of the menus (much more logical)

NEW FEATURE: Console pops-up when a running program prints anything on it

New Feature: Fold all when a new application is loaded (customizable)

New: Several improvements to the 'BLIde configuration wizard'

Some little memory freeing bugs solved here and there...

BLIde debug stays opened after a running application causes an unhandled exception, enablig you to find the line of code that has caused the bug, see all the call stack releated information, debug variables, etc.

Support for TXT files directly in the IDE

Support for XML files directly in the IDE

FIXED: There where some incompatibilities reading some modules in the learning modules keywords dialog

Graphic preview now inform on mouse cords (very useful for 2D games)

Several improvements to the editor colors dialog

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#2]
ya!!!!!

That is a nice load screen

undomiel(Posted 2006) [#3]
To be honest I prefered the old loading logo and loading screen, it felt cleaner and these new cubes just feel more crayola. Too much dead space in them. Glad to have an update to BLIde though! Love the block commenting/uncommenting.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#4]
@undomiel: I know the new logo and splash screen was not to be better for everyone, but I really like it. It may change in the future, who knows... :D

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#5]
I forgoten to add a little file in the 0.6.2 version set-up. It's added now, please if you've downloaded the new version and you get a crash when you exit BLIde or even when trying to run an application. If this is happening to you, just close BLIde and download the 0.6.2 version again. It has been fixed. (sorry for the inconvenience)

It is safe to install 0.6.2 now

undomiel(Posted 2006) [#6]
I hadn't even noticed the crash yet since I almost never close BLIde. :) The updated version doesn't seem to want to install over the old version though. I also noticed that installing the previous 0.6.2 left two uninstall entries in my Add/Remove Programs.

undomiel(Posted 2006) [#7]
Every time I try to build & run a project BLIde crashes when it attempts to run the project. The executable is still created though and runs fine outside of BLIde.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#8]
@undomiel: This bug was happening due to a missing file in a previous set-up for BLIde 0.6.2. It has been fixed.
for more details:

@everybody: If anyone is getting any problem closing BLIde or executing an application, after installing BLIde-0-6-2, please download the set-up application from here:

http://www.blide.org/download1357908642wqeryuioiuysdfgyurB-3423-43-23/blide-0-6-2-fixed.zip

(it seems my server has a download caché and some users are getting a wrong set-up zip file)

undomiel(Posted 2006) [#9]
That seems to have fixed the problem. It works great now!

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#10]
All download links of the BLIde web site have been changed. feel free and safe to download BLIde 0.6.2 there's no need to uninstall any previous version.

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#11]
Thanks, looking forward to start using it.

R0B0T0(Posted 2006) [#12]
awesome, just installed it :)

ozak(Posted 2006) [#13]
I still get the crash problem with the 0.6.2 fixed.
Will try to remove blide an reinstall.

Edit: This is bad. Still gets the crash after reinstall.
My old projects doesn't work either.
Anyone have any suggestions?

When running apps I get a "Unhandled Exception: Unable to locate BlitzMax path".

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#14]
Try to rerun the config wizard.
Files-->Settings-->Rerun Configuration Wizard.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#15]
Looks pretty nice!

As far as the splash screen is concerned: the initial black background makes the new one look a bit depressing... The logo itself is OK, both the old and the new one have their strong and weak points. the old one arguably looks a little more professional, while the new one is warmer -- although the black background kills that effect again.

anyway, many thanks for creating and continueing to improve Blide!

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#16]
@ozak: delete a file called path.txt from your blitzmax installation folder, as it seems BLIde is looking for BlitzMax in a wrong folder (it may be some problem with your BLIde configuration). deleting this file, you will force the configuration wizard to show up, just when you start BLIde. If this doesn't fix your problem, please email me (supermanel*at*menta*dot*net) with all the crash information (all the details in the unhandled exception dialog).

@xlsior: the idea was to make a logo more 'game-oriented', anyway, I don't know if the splash screen backcolor will change in the future... hehehe

Qweeg(Posted 2006) [#17]
Excellent Stuff Manel - as always!

ozak(Posted 2006) [#18]
Ahh. It does work now after deleting path.txt
This is odd as I run the configuration wizard and checked path.txt was ok? Hmm. Never mind. Works now :)

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#19]
Cool!! We can now decide of the size of TAB!! Thank you very much, I guess BLIDE will be my next default IDE...

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#20]
Oh, one other request for the next version:

Would it be possible to customize the name of the Start Menu entry to associate with the program?

Right now it creates a submenu called 'TheFactory.ws', I'd much rather have it create one named 'Blide' instead... Easier to spot.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#21]
I tried it, and I have 2 (easy) requests:
- when I close Blide, I get the message "Do you want to save current files" or something like this, EVEN if I never touched to the file. It would be nice to check if the file was modified...
- There is no nice color scheme for me... It would be nice to add one or two similar to the color scheme of the standard IDE (I am used to it now) or to Blitz3D...

EDIT:
Actually, after trying it a few times, I have a third request. I HATE the fact that Blide is creating a lot of *.bak file in my directory. I like to have a clean directory. So would it be possible to have an option to disable backup files, or put them all in a blide.backup/ folder?

A question: how do we do auto-completion in blide (to have the list displayed)?

Anyway, thank you very much for this great tool!

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#22]
BLide refuses to load for me. On startup, the debug manager returns the following error

An exception 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' has occured in BLide.exe

Any ideas?

Sin of Nature(Posted 2006) [#23]
Oh, the addition of folding functions is sweet. 1 quite question though. I open up my BLIDE project which only ever opens the main file (1 file). It means I have to keep opening the other 5 by hand (quick open). Is there a way of setting BLIDE to automatically open ALL the previously opened files (not just one). Am I missing something?

Sin

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#24]
@RepeatUntil:
1.- The 'save' message before closing is displaying always there's an application loaded. I will make it only appear when the application has not been saved, but for securitry reasons, in current version displays always.

2.-You can customize your color scheme.

3.- .bak files: I will make this optional for next version. (by default it will be disabled)

@Eikon: It seems there's a problem with a COM object in your windows. Does this message appears before showing anything? please, ensure you have properly registered the MSScriptControl.ocx (wich is usualy registered by internet explorer). To ensure this, you can see some useful help at: http://www.blide.org/nueva/troubleshoting.html (see the crash at start-up documentation)

@Sin of nature:
Does your project generate more than one executable? I mean, the additional files, if they're included, or imported, they must load automaticaly with the main one automaticaly. I don't know what can be causing your files not to open automaticaly. How are them associated to your project?

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#25]
Here's issues I would like fixed:

End etc bug - "Endif, End Function, End Method" etc sometimes appears out of nowhere when you jump from one section of your code to another and press the ENTER/RETURN KEY.

Search Window Bug - When you Press FIND and you DONT have the FIND window parked (meaning you have it freely chillin' in the middle of your monitor) the window is CUT OFF (you need to fix the window size)

Search Bug - Searching correctly requires that you SCROLL UP to the TOP of the file and then click inside it to make sure your cursor is in there. Why not make a macro that does that for you when you search?

. or : bug - When you press . or : it brings up that mini-window with text and that's just annoying :-@ ONLY sometimes its annoying, sometimes its good. It needs to be auto-disabled when you're editing strings.

TAB bug - Tabbing, etc, doesnt copy paste correctly. If you copy your code and paste it in notepad, or in forums, your tabbing doesnt look right anymore. Makes it annoying to copy / paste from BLIDE.

did you fix these yet?

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#26]
@Matt McFarland:
"Endif, End Function, End Method" etc sometimes appear out of nowehere when you jump from one section of your code to another and press the END KEY."
Not 100% fixed, a new release is coming with this fixed

"search bug" _It's not a bug, I mean, that's the way to let the user choose the point he wants to start searching. I will add an option as 'Search from the begining' or something like that, if you think it may be helpful

"When you Press FIND and you DONT have the FIND window parked (meaning you have it freely chillin' in the middle of your monitor) the window is CUT OFF (you need to fix the window size)"

It is not fixed yet, it will be on next release (I didn't know this bug, but I've already fixed it)

"When you press . or : it sometiems brings up that mini-window with text and that's just annoying :-"

Do you mean the autolist with the list of functions types etc.? If that annoys you, you can disable it on the preferences window. Autolist are disabled automaticaly inside literals.

"TAB size" Tab sized is fixed by the typo in most editors. And their TAB size can fit the BLIde tab size, or not. And there's nothing to do about this. BLIde paste text as RTF, if you paste the text in a RTF compatible editor, the tab size will be more similar to the BLIde tab size (wich you can costumize in the preferences dialog)

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#27]
double post

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#28]
ziggy I updated my post.. added more bugs to the list..

autolist is GREAT but it needs to be more intuitive. I just press escape anymore and keep it because I like autolist sometimes. It shouldnt be running if the user is using quatation marks. If you can get the color of their text to change because they're editing a string, then why not disable autolist at that time?

PS: I love BLIDE, but you never fix bugs that I have probs with :-@ lol thanks anyways and I look forward to the enxt update :-))

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#29]
@Matt McFarland:
I appreciate A LOT the bugs you're reporting and you can be sure I'm working on all of them, I have a huge 'to do' list. Anyway, I hope I will have all this bugs solved for a next release, wich won't delay more than a week or so.

Thanks

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#30]
"TAB size" Tab sized is fixed by the typo in most editors, and tham can fit the BLIde tab size, or not. And there's nothing to do about this. BLIde paste text as RTF, if you paste the text in a RTF compatible editor, the tab size will be more similar to the BLIde tab size (wich you can costumize in the preferences dialog)

I dont have this tab size editor with MaxIDE or other IDE's so that is why I say its a BLIDE error.

For instance. In BLIDE things will looked 3 TABS over, but when I paste them into another IDE or something they'll be like 2 TABS over. Why?

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#31]
For the conversion from RTF to PLAIN TEXT. I will let the user choose the copy method (AS RTF or as PLAIN TEXT). this is very easy to do, and I think it will solve that copy/paste issue.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#32]
Hi Ziggy

'regsvr32 msscript.ocx' fixed the problem. Thanks a lot :)

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#33]
Hey Ziggy, search from beginning would be VERY helpful! Also, can you do a "search entire workbook" like excel? So it can search the entire list of dependencies (all the bmx files) for a certain string?

This is helpful when you change variables, or if you are looking for a certain line of code and cant remember where you put it.

It is hard because now I have to click on the .bmx file, tehn I have to click in the editor (why?) then I have to click at the top of the file (argh) and then I have to click find.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#34]
@Matt Mcfarland: Wow, you have to make lots of clicks! hehehe. sure I'll fix this for next release.

@Eikon: glad to see you've solved it!

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#35]
Ziggy,

I love Blide, but I'm not really found of all the functions and methods being collapsed when I open my project. If the settings were saved in the IDE this would be OK. I recommend that you leave them open at start-up?

Thanks

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#36]
You could change this behaviour by yourself. Just look at :
File-->Settings-->Preferences-->Editor and uncheck fold all at load time.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#37]
@klepto2, Will do! Thanks

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#38]
I get really bad performance when I try to run a completed project, which has about 42,000 lines in 100 files. Blide takes up anywhere from 50-95% of CPU time whenever the program is running, debug or no debug. However, on my new project which is just a few thousand lines so far, it stays down at around 5-15%. I'm running a 1.6ghz Pentium M with 512mb of memory.

Is there any way to make Blide sleep while it's running something?

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#39]
does your project performs well when BLIde is not running? BLIde is suposed to use onle FREE processor time when an application is running. If you check an application as firepaint (in the BlitzMax samples) you'll see BLIde is using 98% of CPU, and the performance is perfect, if you start 'frepainting' the CPU used by BLIde will decrease as long as it's needed by the running application without any performace cost. CPU usage for BLIde is adaptative. Maybe you have a memory problem, as having more than 100 docs, hilighted, parsed, and a large application running can force windows to make a little swaping of memory pages. when alocationg memory at runtime. Try you application from outside BLIde, and if the performance grows, this can be due a memory problem. the best way to solve this is increasing your computer ram. I will see if there's a way to reduce the swaping of memory pages from within BLIde, but I can't ensure anything

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#40]
After 10 of hours using Blide this week-end, here are further comments/feature requests:
- Triple clic = selection of the entire line. This is so practical, how can you live without this??
- When I copy a region and put it in another section of the code, the indentation is changed. I have always to indent again.
- When looking at the blitzmax documentation, when I want to click on the name of a function in the framework window, nothing happens, I can not go to the documentation of the function. I have to revert to the classic IDE to do that!
<EDIT> Ho, I see. In fact I have to use the "help" window, and then I am able to click on the functions. OK, I see. No feature request here ;-)
- There is no quick access to the list of functions of method. You have to click on Type, then the type, then navigate through all the constants, variables, etc, before being able to find the list of the functions. Functions are much more important than variables, so they should be more accessible (like in the default IDE).

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#41]
Functions are much more important than variables
Functions are nothing without variables :P

I do agree tho, mabey you could node the functions, constants, globals, fields and such like in a similar way that its done in the root node.

i.e.
+ types
-+ myType
-- + Constants
-- + Functions
-- + Globals
-- + Fields
-- + Such like

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2006) [#42]
does your project performs well when BLIde is not running? BLIde is suposed to use onle FREE processor time when an application is running. If you check an application as firepaint (in the BlitzMax samples) you'll see BLIde is using 98% of CPU, and the performance is perfect, if you start 'frepainting' the CPU used by BLIde will decrease as long as it's needed by the running application without any performace cost. CPU usage for BLIde is adaptative. Maybe you have a memory problem, as having more than 100 docs, hilighted, parsed, and a large application running can force windows to make a little swaping of memory pages. when alocationg memory at runtime. Try you application from outside BLIde, and if the performance grows, this can be due a memory problem. the best way to solve this is increasing your computer ram. I will see if there's a way to reduce the swaping of memory pages from within BLIde, but I can't ensure anything

Yes, the performance is night and day. The thing was designed to work on ancient machines, runs at hundreds of FPS normally on this machine. I figured it was a memory problem, there's probably a lot of stuff stored from parsing 40k lines, but while the application is running in release mode does blide do anything special? When I run the application externally while blide is running, I still get decent performance.

I'm building a new computer soon (not a laptop so I can get something decent), so hopefully this will be useable for large projects with that. It's a great IDE, just totally not usable for me with the current large code base.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#43]
While the application is in release or in debug mode, blide just outputs the text printed. In debug mode, BLIde does nothing spetial until debug mode is started (debugstop).

ozak(Posted 2006) [#44]
I found the issue with selecting a word and jumping to the documentation. Just place the cursor over a word and press F1. If you doubleclick to select the entire word and press F1 it says it can't find any help for the keyword.

It works, but not in the way you would expect :)

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#45]
argh, can you please support @

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#46]
@Diablo: What do you mean support for @ ?

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#47]
@Michael Reitzenstein:
I'm making some little changes to BLIde, to make BLIde give some extra priority to the system thread that is running the compiled application/game. The same engine can also decrease the thread priority for BLIde while the application is running, this can help a lot for building enormous applications, on computers with not much available RAM.
An update with this changes, is about to be released this week, with some little bug fixing, and a verfy interesting set of new features. I will post it here when it is done.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#48]
@ I belive to be short hand for byte:
SuperStrict

Local a@ = 255
Print a
Local b@ = 256
Print b
Local c@, d%
d = 1024
c = d
Print d
Print c

I could be mistacken, but thats what i use it for.

Currently when I have a variable called: byte1@
and i use the list box to select it, it includes @ in the name.

e.g.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#49]
@Diablo: Ah ok, I'll arange this. I alwais use :Long or :Int or whatever instead of this symbols. hehe That's why I didn't notice that was happening. This will be arranged in next update

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#50]
An update with this changes, is about to be released this week, with some little bug fixing, and a verfy interesting set of new features. I will post it here when it is done.

WOW, this week, awsome ;D

I really like the new menu system so i hope you dont mess with that too much.

VP(Posted 2006) [#51]
Thank-you for your continued development of BLIde. I really appreciate all the work you've put in. I have sent a small donation your way (all I can afford right now!).