BlitzMax is CRAP

Archives Forums/General Discussion/BlitzMax is CRAP

maverick(Posted 2006) [#1]
Simple as that ,, convoluted arse C no better than C ,, stick max where the sun don`t shine !!!!!!!!!!

Documentation=non existant or gobbledygoop at best
shame on you silby

website=3 hour Dl times on a 10Mbit connection
Get a decent server 30second waits for page searches is unaceptable

RiK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Gee, you sure know how to win friends and influence people don't you!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#3]
Give it a chance - my programs these days dont look any more complicated than my BB ones - the difference is that you can get at the 'under the hood' stuff if - and only if - you want.

The docs DO stink.

I've never waited more than a few minutes for downloads.

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#4]
Only used the BMax demo here, but I gotta agree on the docs if they're still like that in the latest version, I dont see what was wrong with B3d/B+'s docs as they have a superior setup imo in design & layout.

From what I can recall, the server doesnt index the pages for fast searches, so it does the slow approach and searces the entire database instead, I just use Google instead with the "site:http://www.blizbasic.com" tag included.

As for Bmax itself, I quite liked my trial with the demo, but like others I'm waiting for the 3d module to become released before making the purchase.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#5]
@maverick - That's a very eloquent and well informed review...Well done!

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#6]
Shouldnt this be in the General Discussion forum? I've seen many other posts like this moved there. I'm literally pwning with bmax, yep, I can learn anything in bmax thanks to everyone here and my determination. Atleast when I get frustrated with it I dont post like maverick. hahaha, you need anger managament lessons? or are you just having a fun go? perhaps you only let your anger out in text? ;)

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#7]
@Maverick

I think BlitzMAX is great. Sure the documentation isn't as good as it could be, but it's not horrible. Plus the community here is great, I get all my silly newbie questions answered very fast. I came here with only a week or two's experience in coding PHP, and I'm already flying with blitzmax. That should tell you something I think? Maybe that you're an impatient little brat?

And the website works fine for me, except the searches, where I use google instead.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#8]
All languages are only as good as the person using them. In that case you must be ....!!!

Seriously the documentation is appalling - what is required is an old fashioned introduction, lots of examples of simple things. What we need is a definative introduction to the language and numerous helpful examples.

IPete2.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#9]
The problem with the documentation is that it really isn't a manual, it's a command reference.... Which doesn't help you a whole lot unless you already know what you're doing.

Kanati(Posted 2006) [#10]
only think I will agree with is that the documentation is crud. Other than that, Mav is a freakin loon.

N(Posted 2006) [#11]
No comment.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#12]
Don';t listen to these guys Maverick. They're just trying to stifle you. Make more threads like this one and get yourself noticed.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#13]
BlitzMax has many problems, but you will probably need to be a bit more insightful in your judgements if you're going to get yourself noticed. Except in the sense that Amon means ;)

Idiot(Posted 2006) [#14]
gosh I guess I'll stop using it thanks for this valuable information and I look forward to your future contributions to the community

sswift(Posted 2006) [#15]
Blitzmax is in no way as convoluted as C. It's as convoluted as C++!

But seriously, it's not. You've never coded in C if you think that. Also, it hides a lot of stupid DirectX and OpenGL crap from you, and gets you set up so you can get right into making 2D games.

Is it perfect? Hell no. Are the docs perfect? Ha!

It's still way better than coding in C though, even with the warts.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#16]
If you know what you're doing you can get one hello stuff done with Max

I find it move quicker making 3d apps with Max than with C
and thats before the 3d module!

I doubt anyone thinks Max is at its final version and update are free

Sure there are some rough edges, but it all takes time...

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#17]
BMax isn't for newbies. It is a great language, extremely well optimized, very close to C++ in speed, and it is pretty stable. The GUI mod is great.

I wish it had a "software driver" like B+ so it would not have to depend on DX, or OGL. That would truly make it an all-purpose language and perfect for general apps. That is my ONLY complaint with BMax and the sole reason I do not use it.

However, I do agree that Stevie Wonder could have done a better job on the DOCs.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#18]
Simple as that ,, convoluted arse C no better than C ,, stick max where the sun don`t shine !!!!!!!!!!
Well you're wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion. Out of curiousity, what does C have to do with it?

Except in the sense that Amon means ;)
Yeah. I'd be a bit careful taking advice from someone whose been banned like 6 times... :o>

Kanati(Posted 2006) [#19]
what does C have to do with it?

Well obviously he has no idea how to use C, and has no idea how to use blitzmax... So blitzmax == C. :)

Warren(Posted 2006) [#20]
He's right about the documentation. Absolutely worthless.

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#21]
I think he's just frustrated...
Hang in there Maverick; you'll get the hang of it..

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#22]
Right about the docs,
wrong about everything else... :)

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#23]
manual: yeah, it's as hot as 30 Kelvin

IDE: too minimalistic

language: great! Ppl who complain haven't really looked into it I'd say. Most ppl - I think - are confused by events vs polling, assumingly they never used B+ before. I must say, I needed a few days but other than that, the transition to bmax(gui) went quite smoothly!

Other than that: you don't *have* to use it.. first try the demo, then buy it or drop it..

jhague(Posted 2006) [#24]
The language has two "problems." One is that it's a big shift from the old Bliz way of doing things, so it's confusing some people. The other is that OOP is designed for larger projects, so in toy test apps it can feel like overkill. You need faith that it will pay off eventually.

And, yes, I agree that the docs are lousy. It's easier to learn from sample programs than from the docs.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#25]
re docs: somewhere there is an AWESOME intro to BMax that somebody wrote. Great intro to BM & OOP.

N(Posted 2006) [#26]
I didn't learn from docs or samples, I just looked at the module source code. Why's it so hard for everyone else to do that? ;)

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#27]
'cause they are tards?

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#28]
Bmax is hard for a beginner with little knowledge of programming. And since blitz products are mostly known as introductory level languages for beginners and hobbyists I can see why some may be disappointed if they are new to programming and hoping to learn with Bmax.

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#29]
The beginners guide to BlitzMax can be found here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42519

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#30]
I can't hear the 'docs are bad' anymore. It is right, that the docs could be better, but with a bit of searching, reading and trying, I always got what I want. I have also learned alot by reading the source (ok, this isn't an option for the demo users) and searching the forums. But in the last time I found a lot of repeating topics. Is it that hard to make a forum search?

Sorry, but that was a must.

Btw. : Bmax isn't crap, if you understand what to do

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#31]
a begginer may be diapointed, but to compare bmax to C
would suggest a little experience in both. For some reason
i doubt he has any real experience of either of these
languages.. bmax is what you make of it..., as for C being
convoluted, perhaps - but its still a very powerful and useful
language..

BlitzMax has some weird additions, and its not as easy to
learn as the original blitz - however the language seems
to produce tighter code, its cross platform, modular, supports
both static and dynamic libs....the only real fault is the
documentation...
Max2D could have been better, but you do have the option to modify it or develop your own system..

Your entitled to your opinion, but why would you post
your opinion here?.....

ckob(Posted 2006) [#32]
what docs....

Anyway I think bmax has really improved my coding abilities and also taught me OOP, or atleast how it works.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#33]
Bmax is hard for a beginner with little knowledge of programming.

I came here with only a week or two's experience in coding PHP, and I'm already flying with blitzmax.

Challenging perhaps, but clearly not insurmountable.

N(Posted 2006) [#34]
I started off as a Blitz3D fanboy, moved to being a C zealot (and I still am one, actually, considering I still use it for a lot of work where speed is crucial and ASM isn't neccessary [and it typically never is]), and now I use BlitzMax and C side by side. Now as far as maverick's original statement about BMax being more convoluted than C, I can safely say that he knows nothing about C, or at the very least has zero experience using it.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#35]
Bummer of an opening statement for a post, Maverick. Oh well. If you wanna learn, post your questions! The people here are really cool. Good luck!

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2006) [#36]
I'm feeling a little rundown and frustrated today because ive been porting my MaxGUI app from Mac to PC. There are so many inconsistencies and bugs you have to work around to get the same behavior on both systems. An not little things either. I can't get a context menu at all on the mac!

Oh.. well, i guess thats what you get when you try and do cross platform stuff.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#37]
There are so many inconsistencies and bugs you have to work around to get the same behavior on both systems.
Post them in the bug reports section. If memory serves one of the goals of MaxGUI was consistent behavior across multiple platforms, thus any deviation from this should be considered a bug. Ask Brucey.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2006) [#38]
I must admit to being a little dissapointed with the syntax of Max... I was hoping for a more Pascal-ish syntax. I find its the clearest language to visualise code in.

IMHO.

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#39]
BlitzMax is CRAP
C - Creative
R - Robust
A - Amazing
P - Powerful

:)

N(Posted 2006) [#40]
I was hoping for a more Pascal-ish syntax.

Pascal is evil, end of story.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#41]
I'm not really sure why some people say that bmax is hard for newbie programmers.. I'm a newbie programmer and its easy for me. I guess I'm an odd case though.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#42]
I like Max :-)

Sad things about Max :
* The documentation is missing (as good as, in many cases), thus initial learning curve can be steep in some areas.
* MaxGUI really needed beta testing before release
* OO could do with enhancements

Happy things about Max:
* It's cross-platform (Yay!)
* Once you get the hang of the basics you can churn out lots of code really quickly.
* It's extremely open, allowing the community to help improve it. (Yay for the community!)
* It is OO if you want it to be. (Biggest Yay!)

;-)

Kanati(Posted 2006) [#43]
Pascal is evil, end of story.

Noel and I agree once again! :)

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#44]
Pascal is not evil. Just extremely old ;-)

Pascal -> Modulo -> Modulo 2 -> Delphi and Oberon

N(Posted 2006) [#45]
Evil. Pure evil!

It must be roped and beaten!

ozak(Posted 2006) [#46]
With regards to download speed Maverick, you might want to uninstall all your spyware :)

Seriously. I have many years of experience as a professional game programmer and I find BlitzMax great. If the docs don't cut it, the nice people here in the forums are usually up for helping you out.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2006) [#47]
BlitzMax docs need some serious work. Perhaps we could get some community thing going? I know there is the wiki etc, but perhaps we need something a bit more definite. Something more like a real book.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#48]
What we need is simply 2 or more minimalistic examples about every command in every module, in superstrictmode and as local/modular as possible. So, the examples should show what a command does, and nothing else, everything additional creates noise in the perception of the reader.

N(Posted 2006) [#49]
Perhaps we could get some community thing going?

Nope, this is BRL's job. I'm not doing it for them.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#50]
Something more like a real book.
Get 'Thinking in Java' Yes it's about Java, but it's free, professionally authored, and by far most of the topics covered (in the first half of the book anyway) apply equally well to BlitzMAX.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2006) [#51]
Whenever you discover something you didn't know or couldn't find in the Docs you should add a page to the Wiki.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#52]
We should do a lot.
But as its all community driven I would like to see a more "we support our community" support from BRL first.
Blitz products only exist because the community extended it that much and still we are kept like unimportant kiddies.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#53]
But as its all community driven I would like to see a more "we support our community" support from BRL first.
A valid point.

Blitz products only exist because the community extended it that much and still we are kept like unimportant kiddies.
Blitz is a product oriented company, not a solution oriented one.

N(Posted 2006) [#54]
I think maverick has gone into hiding after being shamed.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#55]
Not really.
If it would be a product oriented company the product would be thought to its end and done to the end, not stopped in the middle (half hearted OO implementation, documentations that are extremely bad structured and in many sections totally insufficient. the event and hook parts as worst case example with function names and thats it).

Blitz3D already is an example for not product oriented. Who the heck would let a language like Blitz3D stay without DXTC support although it is needed, many times requested and industrial standard for years??
Not really product oriented but mood controlled ... *Have no interest in doing it so I don't do it, no mather how much it would help my product*

I won't know how many users are tempted to other game languages just because of missing DX7 features in Blitz3D. Toms Render to Texture DLL shows 2 important features DX7 supports but Mark did not implement although the hardware is capable of doing it without much impact on performance since quite some time now.

puki(Posted 2006) [#56]
Blitz 3D rules - The king of languages.

I need say no more - everybody loves it - even the Germans - they set up websites and everything - even named some sausage after it. Might be something to do with it being called Blitz - but there you go.

Woof-it till it hurts.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#57]
If it would be a product oriented company the product would be thought to its end and done to the end,
How do you mean? They have!

(half hearted OO implementation, documentations that are extremely bad structured and in many sections totally insufficient. the event and hook parts as worst case example with function names and thats it).
First of all, BlitzMAX was never meant to have a full blown OO implementation, and second of all, BRL hasn't yet released a product that some people haven't thought was poorly documented. The fact that it (appearently) doesn't live up to your expectations and/or specifications is exactly why BRL is a product oriented company. If they where a solutions company you would have a hotline you could call to get specific changes made on a day-to-day basis. Like IBM, Sun Micrososystems and Oracle.

Blitz3D already is an example for not product oriented. Who the heck would let a language like Blitz3D stay without DXTC support although it is needed, many times requested and industrial standard for years??
Product oriented companies. Like Microsoft for example.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#58]

Product oriented companies. Like Microsoft for example.

I loved that response, FlameDuck :D

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#59]
Bah.. you bunch of babies! :)

I say if you have an issue, email BRL. email them often. Then you wont have to put up with the BRL fanboys who will defend them regardless of how valid your points are.

However you should be a bit more intellegent with your email, than the first post in this topic. :)

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#60]
That's a good idea RifRaf, but they never respond.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#61]
The fact that BRL doesnt have good documentation only hurts BRL's sales. It doesnt hurt the fan-boys, nor does it hurt me :) I learned BMAX without the documentation because of this wonderful community, but BRL shouldnt think people will all learn the same way I did. Oh well, they are the ones losing, not us.

Only thing worse are Blitz3D Fan-boys!!! Take your linear progression and shove it where the sun dont shine ;)

kronholm(Posted 2006) [#62]
Matt: Sure BRL loses, but in the end, we, the customers, will lose out. I not enough products are sold, the product/company will die thus depraving us of an excellent product. So in some twisted way it's in our best interest to keep the product selling; ie. helping new people out here, etc.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#63]
Is there a way to change the doc without it being overwritten next docmods/syncmods?

Takuan(Posted 2006) [#64]
Can we get an official 3D Engine wrap now?

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#65]
No
I don't think you will see it in 06 at all, so if you are forced to use 3D, consider irrlicht

N(Posted 2006) [#66]
Or my engine, which is coming along quite nicely. Of course, the problem with licensing my engine is that it's made for me. So that'd require private negotiation of various things that I would rather not go over in a 'BlitzMax is CRAP' thread.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#67]
He does have a point on the web site! It really could use an overhaul and I know I dread the seach feature.

RiK(Posted 2006) [#68]
The documentation issue does seem to be one of the single biggest gripes with a lot of users and one can only hope that in the fullness of time BRL will be able to address it.

Working for myself I can appreciate the time constaints on Mark and Simon though - especially when it comes to the docs.

In my last job I was responsible for a 700+ page technical reference manual and that alone took probably 50% of my time for the best part of 18 months to*. With only the two of them working full time on Blitz it's amazing that they manage to produce the work they do that we all know and love :)

(* I do also take a little smug satisfaction in the fact that since I left they've not actually updated it as nobody else could get their heads around Framemaker!)

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#69]
The Docs are not perfect but name one language where they are?

The Docs at present are more of a syntax guide and module reference.

'Docs' seem to be a catch-all phrase that includes language introduction for beginners and advanced language behaviours.

The complaints i am reading about the Docs are more of the 'how to program a computer in general'. I am in full agreement that a BRL- beginner's guide to BlitzMAX would be a great addition. less a language reference and more of a 'how to program in general and btw, you might as well use BlitzMAX!" kind of thing.

Wave did a great job in this regard already.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#70]
Wave and Assari have both done great jobs.
However, even referring to the docs as a syntax guide is overcooking IMO.
Check, for example, addhook and ask yourself whether you would ahve any idea how to use it if you were new to programming.
What flags can you set with FormatTextAreaText?
Most people look at the doc with some BB or programming background but what if you're new to programming?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#71]
Check, for example, addhook and ask yourself whether you would ahve any idea how to use it if you were new to programming.
To be fair though hooks and callback mechanisms aren't exactly beginner topics.

Most people look at the doc with some BB or programming background but what if you're new to programming?
The old saying about learning to walk before trying to run, applies equally well to programming. The notion that because BlitzMAX is an 'simple' programming language, the concepts it addresses must also be simple is somewhat flawed at best.

Complex tasks are not complex because of job security, they are complex because of inherent complexity, and no manner of abstraction will create a simple and at the same time functional way to achieve something complex.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#72]

To be fair though hooks and callback mechanisms aren't exactly beginner topics.

Possibly true but doesn't that mean they should have even better documentation behind them?

The old saying about learning to walk before trying to run,

Again true, but once you get to a canter the documentation should help rather than need a forum, wiki etc.
<edit>
P.S. Just to say I don't expect a mickey mouse guide but something that explains what each parm is and does would be nice.

Takuan(Posted 2006) [#73]
@Noel
"private negotiation of various things" sounds scary:D

As for maverick going nuts:
What did BRL expect?
BRL's reputation is based on B3D.
Main target group are people which are in need of a solution to compensate lack of knowledge or lack of menpower.
With B3D you have a high level language to get stuff done in incredible short time. Even with missing features like DXTC, B3D is quiet convincing (enough, now bow to the mighty shader leage..B3D Fanboys).
It was nice for beginners and handy for the advanced who wanted to make money with.

But what is the target group for BMax?
Realy feels like BRL has lost focus here.
What BRL missed?
To put in all the high level commands which would make BMax a real time saver if it comes to create decent 2D Games in 2006(!).
Remember, BMax is sold as "2D Game programming language".
If i have to hack in my own col. lib, have to wrap ODE or have to take care about single surface stuff, wheres the time saving moment?
Why not use C++ and buy a 2D Engine where i know the company will add commands to make my 2D life easier?

What will be added next in Max?
Printer support?
A submarine low band transmission relais?

Anyway, if you take factor time away, BMax is genious.
I see tons of customer made modules added in the next two or three years, if people arent p... off by things like lack of communication.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#74]

I see tons of customer made modules added in the next two or three years, if people arent p... off by things like lack of communication.

How can you have a lack of something that doesn't exist? I'm in for the printer support.:)

Takuan(Posted 2006) [#75]
Jeah, maybe i should think about a printer game..Printer Pong.....BEAT THAT IDEA;)

neilo(Posted 2006) [#76]

The old saying about learning to walk before trying to run,

Again true, but once you get to a canter the documentation should help rather than need a forum, wiki etc.

I've been using BlitzMax seriously for a little over a month now, rewriting a multimedia authoring / playback application that I originally wrote in C# last year.

The docs aren't that bad, you know... especially coming from Visual Studio 2003. C# has plenty of documentation online, and it can be quite difficult to wade through to find exactly what I wanted to do (mostly Managed DirectX stuff; the rest of the syntax was close enough to Java/QT to be manageable).

Considering the wealth of information in the online stuff, I still needed to buy several books to get started on Managed DirectX, and even then I needed to Google a bit to find the last nitty-gritty bits and pieces.

The BlitzMAX docs are reasonable straight foward, in my opinion. Berevity IS an asset. There's generally a command to do what you need to do, and these forums do have a search facility. Heck, you can even ask a question, and so long as it isn't something along the lines of: "where is the RunMyReallyCoolGameWithoutMeDoingAnything() command" type of thing, you even get answers!

Go have a look at Dark Basic Pro to find some docs that really don't live up to the product.

As for @Tauken's comment that BlitzMAX is a 2D game creator... we all knew what we were putting out money down for, didn't we? I've been a BRL (nee Acid Software) customer since Blitz Basic 2 on the Amiga, and I'm yet to be dissapointed by what these guys deliver. It might not be timely, but it's generally solid. Have a look at the squarking that TrollTech is generating with their move to QT4, as a point of comparison.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#77]
Here is a small example of how communications can be improved:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57259

Mark, answered the question., but his signature doesn't say anything about Blitz. When I bought Blitz, I didn't have a clue that Mark was part of Blitz. Moreover, I still don't know anyone else that plays a role in support. It seems like a small thing but it is important that your signature identify you as Blitz Moderator or Support.

Just a thought...

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#78]
Moreover, I still don't know anyone else that plays a role in support.
Oh, come on. his username is BlitzSupport for cryging out loud!

When I bought Blitz, I didn't have a clue that Mark was part of Blitz.
Click 'Credits' on the main BlitzMAX page.

Besides which, I really don't see how being able to uniquely identify people who work for BRL would improve communication. I don't even see why you would think you're entitled to communication in the first place. This @#!* never happens for Adobe or Microsoft.

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#79]
i dont get why usefull posts are removed all the time and posts like this stay tbh...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#80]
LOL @ Devious... ahhhh, i've tried to avoid this long winded waste of time... but D makes a good point...

--Mike

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#81]
I don't get why people can't be a little more specific so I have a clue what they are talking about.

boomboommax(Posted 2006) [#82]
you still havent removed this post? and skid try not to give attitude to paying customers who are asking real questions, its not good for brl.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#83]
What is the harm in asking people to be more specific. It is repeatedly called for in bug reports and features requests, I don't see why it can't be applied to criticism of BRL operations also.

N(Posted 2006) [#84]
I don't get why people can't be a little more specific so I have a clue what they are talking about.

What is there to encourage the behavior you want to see?

Sean Doherty(Posted 2006) [#85]
@Flameduck,

I have spoken to Microsoft Technical support on many occasions. Also, I have the Cell phone number for my Microsoft account representative.

Sure I can track down the creators of Blitz by reading the help about. My comment was targeted at the fact that there presence is very unnoticeable.

I have never noticed the BLITZ SUPPORT user answer a questions. I'm don't really care if you believe that or not but that is the case.

Your point about not expecting communication would apply if this was Open Source.

Lastly, I not saying the product is bad. However, I think website and communication need an update.

Bye

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#86]
Heheh, I guess the n00bs just can't handle the fact Blitzmax is just too complex for them to use.

> What is there to encourage the behavior you want to see?

Hmm, gaylords like you perhaps. :)

skyfire1(Posted 2006) [#87]
i'd love to get blitzmax but i rather save my cash for the (edit: ps3.)

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#88]
*Whistles*

skyfire1(Posted 2006) [#89]
i meant ps3. my brain was playing tricks on me because when i was making my post, i was thinking of mgs4.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#90]
website=3 hour Dl times on a 10Mbit connection

Remove the malware from your PC before accusing others of skimping. Bmax downloaded for me at 110kb/sec in just over 1 minute.

I'm not quite so negative towards BMax as yourself but I do agree - there's a few elitists who take the view that if you cannot learn BMax your just a noob, Enay 3 posts up for one, but I take the view that if i'm going to work in a lower level language I may aswell use C++ and not something proprietry, BMax is a lower level language, it's just not a BASIC, and I use BASIC languages for a very good reason - and it's not because i'm too stupid to learn C++.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#91]
They'd be better off getting some investors and hiring more employees. It doesn't matter how great your product is, if you just sit in your garage coding, it will never get noticed.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#92]
Well said, Becky.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#93]
How come I missed this rant? Has it only just been moved to General Discussion from Max Heaven?

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#94]
Its about time they moved this to general discussion.. tsk tsk was in bmax forum for dayzzzz :-@

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#95]
I'm surprised it isn't locked. These slag off Blitz threads crop up quite often and then get locked before long.

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#96]
BlitzMax is CRAP

So's your mother.

These slag off Blitz threads crop up quite often and then get locked before long.

They can't do that unless ppl start slagging off each other. Because it's on topic. Which is stupid. Everyone is stupid. Rargh.

Sashnil(Posted 2006) [#97]
So you don't like it... fine.. just go away then and be done with it!

I hear c++ calling you! shoo! lol

Rambus(Posted 2006) [#98]
If you have any real experience in C you will rejoice at how easy coding in blitzmax is. If you wrote one hello world app, then you would come to this forum and cry like a little child. On that note, if you had experience with C you would have probably notice that blitzmax is actually an object oriented language and then have made fun of it by calling it "convoluted arse C++ no better than C++" as it shares many c++ stl style classes and is not a procedural language like C.

But I don't know anything... don't listen to me.

N(Posted 2006) [#99]
it shares many c++ stl style classes

No, it doesn't.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#100]
I have spoken to Microsoft Technical support on many occasions. Also, I have the Cell phone number for my Microsoft account representative.
And how much are you paying for this premium service, and how much detailed information can you get from him? A Vista release date?

Your point about not expecting communication would apply if this was Open Source.
No it wouldn't. First of all, it has nothing to do with whether your product is open-source or not, and second of all, most open source projects are the ones who do the most communicating. Know what's going to be in Office 12? Nope, nobody does, but you can look up what OpenOffice.org are currently adding to their products. Know what's going to be in the next version of Photoshop? Neither do I, but I can look up what's going to be in the next version of GIMP.

Companies simply do not communicate such things. They are into adding real value to software - communication does not provide real value.

Perfect example: Windows Vista, slated for release before Christmas, and supposedly 'feature complete' yet nobody seems to know what these features are, except for a notch up on the Fisher Price interface guidelines.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#101]
..well..I can see now where this conversation going, so before its too late..nuke them alll...:))

markcw(Posted 2006) [#102]
haha, maverick got shunted to the general discussion forum.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#103]
yeah... i agree NA... D was right... why it's been allowed to continue is beyond me...

we should really stop feeding this dog...

--Mike

Qube(Posted 2006) [#104]
This thread has probably been allowed to run so all the usually hate monger, flame bait, arguement causing members can be banned in one quick swipe :)

It's quite amusing in a way. Some people complain from day one wanting a more flexible language with more power. You get one and then start to complain again.

To be more sensible about the whole thing I'd say we're all agreed that the BlitMax Documentation could be a lot better. Instead of complaining though, why don't those who have a good knowledge of BlitzMax get a bit of community spirit going and set about fixing that problem.

markcw(Posted 2006) [#105]

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#106]
Instead of complaining though, why don't those who have a good knowledge of BlitzMax get a bit of community spirit going and set about fixing that problem.
While this is perfectly reasonable, aside from BlitzWiki and the tutorials section, how is it practical?

markcw(Posted 2006) [#107]

Qube(Posted 2006) [#108]
While this is perfectly reasonable, aside from BlitzWiki and the tutorials section, how is it practical?

Because if it were done properly then BRL could distribute that documentation with BlitzMax. I'm not talking about an online version only, but fixing the current docs.

Most people prefer to have the docs at hand and the ability to press F1 on any command, get a clear explaination plus a well written example of how to use that command.

What wouldn't be pratical if a few BM guru's got together and sorted the docs out?

Rambus(Posted 2006) [#109]
@Noel, Lets pick a example: String
A string is not a C style String (character array) and must be included from the stl...

BlitzMax has easy to work with string class as well.
(I hope you can understand my deduction)

Though that comment on my part wasn't as well thought out as it should have been, snapping back with "No" doesn't really show your mastery over all things digital nor does it help me to see why my statement was so absurdly false.

markcw(Posted 2006) [#110]

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#111]
..haha..muk, nuke them man..nuke them.. :))

markcw(Posted 2006) [#112]

N(Posted 2006) [#113]
Could muk's insane posting spree be construed as a DoS attack? ;)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#114]
um, nope, jeest sum tequila, welll, lots i guess! :)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#115]

markcw(Posted 2006) [#116]

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#117]
die muk, die.

At least as far as posting that phrase goes. Your Blitz links thread is still very nice. Ta for that.

But apart from that, please STFU. :o)

Takuan(Posted 2006) [#118]
Its not my fault, it was Flame Ducks last comment and now i write:D

Companies have to communicate in a way poeple expect. If they dont, they lose real value $.
I dont expect BRL to communicate to their customers like Adobe or an other multi billion company.
Its a small company with products for indie's or hobby coders. BRL is in the leage of 3DGS or DBPro not M$.
Why i think so? BRL's homepage communicates this.

What happened?
Weeks of silence?
Only official statements if more then 30 poeple are upset?
No future feature list?
Google to have a Forum search (thats a running gag for more then 2 years)?
Hire the FBI to find some statements about future plans (again Google for Worklogs)?
They behave like big player's and need the community for a proper manual?

I watch this Forum over years and other reasons for such behaviour comes to my mind.
Much has done by not much men, and with quality.
Does the customer new to BRL products know this?
Should i care?
I do, because i have spend much time and efford in BRL products and i have seen enough companies going down when changing their product philosophy.
BB always stands for complex things made easy even for a bloody noob.
Now it is complex thing's made easer.
Remember B3D will go down more sooner then later and BRL will then stand for BMax.
So i write this, that they know I am not very happy with BRL (i am quiet happy with BMax and MaxGUI).
And if you think thats pointles, then you are possibly one of the guys which made SOE great:D

All i want to say is:
Mr.S dont forget your mojo and your roots;)
I know its getting harder every year..hehe

To be more constructive, at this descricption i always have a good laugh:

Function SortList( list:TList,ascending=True )
Description Sort a list.

The face of the guy first time using linked lists? Priceless..

So, enough whining around for the next months.
BMax rocks.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#119]
..muk, nuke them all man..what you waiting for?? :)) more tequila?? :))

Amon(Posted 2006) [#120]
If anything BlitzMax will help you to become a more disciplined coder.

I will be writing a letter to Mavericks mother informing her on how naughty he has been. :)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#121]
CC your own mother in on that letter too. :)

Braincell(Posted 2006) [#122]
I'm also waiting for the 3d module and i'll be getting bmax when its out. It looks like a great language in the demo.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#123]
I think what we have here are some B3D and BB fan-boys that want BMAX to follow suit. Then you have some peeps that cant stand OOP. Then you have some newbies that are frustrated with the BMAX documentation.

I'm frustrated with the BMAX documentation myself, but I already took note that complaining here doesnt get me new documentation! xD

So I have decided to just ask questions in the BMAX Forums whenever I'm confused, and then, get the answer. Nobody can say "RTFM" here, so I guess asking questions works out the best for the question-asker-non-manual-reader type.

So quit whining and moaning will ya, MAKE A GAME DANGIT.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#124]
I think what we have here are some B3D and BB fan-boys that want BMAX to follow suit.

You say that like it's a negative thing. In my own personal fan-girl opinion B3D had it right, i'm not sure what market BMax is aimed at. Mark Silby said as much himself when he was writing it "Why do people program in Blitz?" in his worklogs...

The problem is his answer to that question didn't reflect the reason why I use it. The only thing wrong with B3D is lack of some modern features, the product itself is great. BMax isn't comparable to B3D as it's something else, it's closer to C++ than it is to B3D - and given the choice i'd use C++. Except i'd rather use B3D.

There's no saying i've not done anything in BMax or can't cope with it because I have already released a simple game with it and i've experimented more with it besides what I finished and released. I've given it a lot of patience and played with it, and made my conclusions from experiencing the product.

If you want to use BMax that's fine and i'm not trying to convert you. I just wont pretend to understand why you aren't using C++ instead, it's more portable and versatile and you can already get numerous 3D engines for it... Development time/hassle is about the same. C++ has far more tutorials and better documentation out there too.

I do wonder "why?" when I think of BMax, but clearly it appeals to some people so he hasn't got it all wrong. It just doesnt appeal to me.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#125]
It's not really a negative thing but at the same time it has absolutely no relevence to me or anyone else who has arrived to the "blitz-scene" BECAUSE of bmax.

So yeah.. Out with the old, in with the new, as they say. stepaside bb / b3d fanboys _kthxbye_.

heheheh.. ok, I'm just messin around. In all seriousness, fix the documentation and you're cool. But I wouldnt worry about pleasing the established community as much as I would worry about making a stellar product. I think bmax is awesome, and I dislike linear progression so I dont like b3d, and I dont like bb. I only like bmax because of OOP, and there's a lot of newcomers that will arrive to the blitz-scene that are OOP fan-boys like me.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#126]
http://www.blitzwiki.org
You want better docs?
Go make better docs.

That site already does it quite well anyway.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#127]
pffft wiki this.. xD

ROFL I'm having too much fun today..

Ok, just trying to break this over-serious vibe I'm picking up on the forums today. At any-rate. I heart bmax is that enough?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#128]
You want better docs?
Go make better docs.
So, we (BRL customers) are not only expected to provide free technical support (via these forums), but also we're to write our own docs for BRL products!? Great. :/

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#129]
LOL big10p we're also supposed to be making the 3d module.. get to work!! xD

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2006) [#130]
Maverick I salute you - I've been round these forums at least a couple of years, and I've never started a thread thats gone to 50 posts.

N(Posted 2006) [#131]
50 responses is weak. Try 300.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#132]
So, we (BRL customers) are not only expected to provide free technical support (via these forums), but also we're to write are own docs for BRL products!? Great. :/

At this point, why don't we just write our own language and cut out the middle man?

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#133]
You're lacking in documentation..

DO YOU:

a) Publically complain
b) Find a work around
c) Both A and B
d) Try something with documentation
e) all of the above.
f) Both a and d, but not b

N(Posted 2006) [#134]
e) All of the above.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#135]
I've been round these forums at least a couple of years, and I've never started a thread thats gone to 50 posts

I could give you some tips if you want? I can guarantee that you'll get a lot of responses. :D

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#136]
I dont understand the way you phrased your question Mark, could you document it for me please?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#137]
The truth is, it's mostly noobs and people who never do any 'real' coding that are complaining about all this.

And to be perfectly honest, your opinions mean nothing anyway.
Hehehe :)

If I were Blitz Research I'd ignore you too. Actually no I wouldn't do that, I'd be banning you instead to keep down my bandwidth costs down.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#138]
Sing along, everyone...

"BRL and ENAY sitting in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G!"

:P

Amon(Posted 2006) [#139]
ENAY thinks he is in a supreme position to judge others and tell them what to do. I've never seen anything remotely interesting coming from him apart from him making posts telling everyone how pathetic they are. Maybe not using the word pathetic but he might aswell do.

Your posts are getting boring ENAY. Infact, IMO, you need a slap in the face, big time.

aab(Posted 2006) [#140]
Well...regardless of documentation the community here is perfect for getting anything that you want done.
And if a command regerence (ie not so much a manual) isnt good enough for someone they arenmt trying hard enough.
The modules are being worked on..Docs being neglected.
Theres only so much time.
I dont see being patience as a virtue at all but when you have no choice complaining isnt the way around.
Just state that the docs could be better...(even if alot).Then maybe something would be done about it in time...

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#141]
[scouse accent]
Calm down ! Calm down!"
[/scouse accent]

BlitzMax is not crap - it's a tremendous language - the documentation will mature as does the language.
Yes - it's different to Blitz3d and not as intuitive and accesible but has more potential - and speed.
The OOP features are there for those that want to use them in the same way that some Blitz3d users don't use Types.
It would really be nice though if development of Blitz3d was to continue as really it appeals to a very different market to BlitxMax.
Although it's not going to happen - A DirectX9 version of Blitz3d would sell like hot-cakes.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#142]
It would really be nice though if development of Blitz3d was to continue as really it appeals to a very different market to BlitxMax.
I agree, it would be great. And I don't simply mean the ocassional bug-fix update, either. Blitz3D is a fantastic language and it sadens me to see it usurped entirely by BlitzMax. :(

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#143]
I'm not fussed with BlitzMAX at the moment.

I've tried to learn a few languages (Java, C#, VB... To be honest... who hasnt :) ) and Blitz and C++ are the only ones I've grasped. I've played with the BMAX demo, and there's nothing I need in there.

I find using C++ and B+ together works perfectly fine for me, so, the concept of learning the mechanics of another language sort of puts me off!

I'm also shunting quite nicely along with DirectX (Well, 2D game programming with Direct3D), and it's starting to sink in...

I've already ordered 'Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX® 9.0', which includes the very basics of 3D programming from 3D maths theory through to terrains, meshes, shaders etc etc

So even if BlitzMAX does include 3D, for me, it may be to late!

Now, the chump that started this thread, seems to me, is all P*SS and S&IT, because he's had 216 posts in this forum, and not ONE 'code archive' entry. Which seems strange to me, because if I make something in Blitz that people might like/find useful, it automatically gets banged in there!

I've only had 318 posts, and still managed to share 6 half decent archives, as well as popping in the beginners section now and again to give people a hand.

And how he can compare BM to C is just laughable! :D

Dabz

N(Posted 2006) [#144]
Which seems strange to me, because if I make something in Blitz that people might like/find useful, it automatically gets banged in there!

For all the rambling, ranting, etc. I do, I do try to do that. Right now I have 27 entries and about 20 other libraries I haven't released in the code archives (mainly because I have to include some other stuff that isn't public domain or something similar). The more stuff that's out there the more people can learn from it, and the more people learn the better we all are.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#145]
Oh yeah that's a good point actually, when Blitzmax3D is finished there will be little documentation for that too.

Yes, so that's so what everyone will be complaining about next. I struggled for about 2 months with Blitzmax, but after a lot of practice and determination I'm more than comfortable with it now.

Shame the whine brigade can't do the same. I suppose on the positive side it does give me something to read and laugh about.

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#146]
What makes you better than me is not the tools you use Enay, it's your membership to the Biscuit Appreciation Society.

The language you chose to develop in has nothing to do with it - in programming it's results that count and the end result is as good as the team that makes it. The tool allows the team to express their skills - that is all. Chose the tool that grants you the features you want.

If you want to make simple little 2D retro games using modern OOP techniques then go with BMax, it's brilliant.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#147]

At this point, why don't we just write our own language and cut out the middle man?

Decided to stop moaning and do just that - so I've only got myself to blame for the shortcomings or questionable priorities.

I'm now a happy - but sometimes rather confused coder. ;-)

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#148]
Retro!??!?! RETRO!?!?!? Becky how dare you..

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#149]
Hi all,

We concern about the uncertainty of BlitzMax.
Is it worth spending time to learn BlitzMax? Will it save our development time and get high speed finally?

Old saying:Time is money. Blitzbasic loss some execution speed, but cut down the development time substantially!

We could prove it with evidence. To be fair, we could compare the time to program on same topics using 3 languages: BlitzBasic, BlitzMax and C++, then check which one take shorter time and higher execution speed, instead of guessing the results?

If a language shorten the development time and get very high execution speed, I think we should learn it.

Thanks in advance.
Sammy

Happy Sammy(Posted 2006) [#150]
Hi all,

How about "Blitzbasic & BlitzMax & c++ Tournament 2006" on same topics?

(Hoping this could remove all uncertainty about BlitzMax.)

Thanks
Sammy

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#151]
hmmm...this post is still here, how odd - maybe we should
spend more time programming and less time talking about
it :p ;)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#152]
I think even if you just made one game with Blitzmax and then moved on, that would be satisfactory.

If everyone did that, then there could be as many as a thousand games written in max. How many are there so far?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#153]
ENAY, I think people are too uncertain of BlitzMax at the moment - no 3d module, terrible documentation and questionable priority.

BlitzMax should always have been about taking the excellent Blitz3d to the next level but still keep the hobby programmer vibe - rather than a C++ compromise.

For all the positives, BlitzMax is a complete mess and Mark should realise he has got it wrong - either write a graphics engine for C++ or produce a language for hobbyist programmers - not a compromise between the two - it simply doesn't work.

I feel I have to put in the hard work to do the job myself when, on previous form I was relying on Mark to produce something great. Very disappointing.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#154]
You want better docs?
Go make better docs.

Maybe the reason they're asking is that they DONT KNOW? How can they make better docs themselves? Geez...

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#155]
ENAY, I think people are too uncertain of BlitzMax at the moment - no 3d module, terrible documentation and questionable priority.
It's an ego thing. Armchair commandos sitting at home pointing out all the mistakes they percieve BRL are making. What they don't realize ofcourse is that they don't have the 411, nor do they have any experience running a company. Never the less they know better than people who have been doing this for ages?

Perhaps some of the people who keep comparing BlitzMAX to C++ culd explain the similarities to me? Because I really don't get it. BlitzMAX is nothing like C++ at all. They have different philosophies, different syntax and different audiences. C++ is a 3rd generation language, BlitzMAX is a 4th.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#156]
..they prolly think that OOP always equals C++ ..

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#157]
Maverick is just trolling anyway, you've only got to read his first post again to see how childish it is. Max is crap because it has a lack of documentation, max is crap because it takes 3 hours to download it, max is crap because the website takes 30 seconds to refresh to load. I mean, it's just feeble isn't it?

Max has been out now for what, about 7-8 months by now? And some of the people who moan here have been around from the beginning. (I've seen them posting in the BMax exclusive forums that you can only post in when you've bought the program)

This issue is more to do with procastination really.
Blitz Research could have taken the Cobra route, don't release it until everything is totally finished and working with lots of documentation, or get it released earlier and have problems and bugs to fix.

I mean, either way you're gonna get butt raped by the moan brigade, and it shows. And it's always from the same people . It's funny because it's true, just ban all the moaners I say.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2006) [#158]
I don't expect BRL to write better docs. They are no Microsoft. What I'd like to see is some centralized and organized community thing. The stronger the community the better it is for all of us.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#159]
What I'd like to see is some centralized and organized community thing.
Er, you mean, like these forums? :P

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#160]
BRL SHOULD have written better documentation - it's their product we paid for.

Official documentation is paramount with a sophisticated piece of software. Unlike Photoshop for example you can pop into any good bookstore and get an unofficial book that tells you more than the supplied manual - you can't do that with a less well known language like BlitzMax.

Clearly BlitzMax isn't crap, but personally I'm dissapointed with it (for several reasons) but I'll leave it at that.

Actually I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked - it's certainly run it's course anyway.

skyfire1(Posted 2006) [#161]
maverick, you're just a whiny noob that disturbs me. please leave.

N(Posted 2006) [#162]
Just lock this already.