"GCC .a Linking and BMax". about this post

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/"GCC .a Linking and BMax". about this post

splinux(Posted 2006) [#1]
I were reading the "GCC .a Linking and BMax" post, when i thinked a thing:
is possible throught bmk options to make a .a lib from a bmax source?
Otherwise, how could it be possible using gcc?
Maybe modifyig some bmax executables...

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
No. In fact, it's in violation of the terms and conditions of the Blitz Shared Source Code license.

splinux(Posted 2006) [#3]

splinux(Posted 2006) [#4]
Why?

PS: do you mean modifying bmax source code?

N(Posted 2006) [#5]
No. Read the license.

splinux(Posted 2006) [#6]
Ok.
However could it be done for personal usage only?

N(Posted 2006) [#7]
Nope. License. Read.

splinux(Posted 2006) [#8]
Oh, i've read.
I think the problem is that if you create a lib with all bmax functions and import it with c programmers could use bmax without paying it.

But i would need it for a robotic project. I'm programming a bmax module for robotics, but it could be better to me to have all the functions i create within a library, so to use it in a better way.

N(Posted 2006) [#9]
You'd still have to link the garbage collector into the static library (or the DLL) which makes it a violation of the license.

The only other option is to link the runtime module seperately, which would be rather messy.

As for your idea of haivng all the functions in a library, I don't see how that would help you with robotics.

N(Posted 2006) [#10]
Glancing over the license again, I was wrong. You can do this for personal use (e.g., distribution of the libraries built is a violation, but making them only for your use and never distributing them is legal).

Not sure why, but skidracer removed his reply:
Huh?

.a= static library archive NOT runtime dynamically linked library

Sp, modules themselves already use .a static library archive files and the per file .o object files (that could theoretically be added yourself to a .a lib) are maintained in the .bmx folder.

splinux(Posted 2006) [#11]
Ok. it's not in my plans to distribute them.
Thank you.
I'll see how to do that for personal usage.

splinux(Posted 2006) [#12]