Looking for a small, reliable and free database

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Looking for a small, reliable and free database

semar(Posted 2006) [#1]
All,

I need a small and reliable database to use from within a BMAX application.

The storage data requirement is quite small, so I don't need database like MSSQL,SQLbase, and such.

In other terms, it should be a small (and free), file-based and easy to deploy database.

I've though about MS Access, but I don't want the users have to install MDAC and other jet updates.

I've take a look at Postgres, but it is client/server based, and not so easy to install for the final user.

Are there any other solutions ? Perhaps should I look at XML-based database file ? Or go back to DB3 - if still exists ?

Any suggestion is more than welcome.

Sergio.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#2]
mysql?

semar(Posted 2006) [#3]
sadly mysql is not free...

;-)

[EDIT] oh I see, the MySql Community Edition seems interesting.

Anyway, is client/server... so a server should always be started on the user's pc, while MS Access, for example, does not need any server.

Humm...

PGF(Posted 2006) [#4]
Firebird.

In particular the embedded Firebird module. Full featured and free DBMS in ~1.5Mb. The DLL and a couple of related files (.conf, .msg) can simply be copied along with your application.

I don't know if anybody has yet created a BlitzMax module to support it but search the forums.

semar(Posted 2006) [#5]
@PGF,
what do you mean with the 'embedded Firebird module' ? From the Firebird home page I don't see it. Could you please add some detail ?

[EDITED]Ok I've found the 'embedded server' version - downloading now...[/EDITED]

And also, do you use it ? As far as I guess, it's also client/server based, isn't it ? So I guess that installation it's not a trivial task for the final user...

assari(Posted 2006) [#6]
Try Teamonkey's BlitzMax SQLite Module.

Other database modules can be seen at the resource link.

semar(Posted 2006) [#7]
Thank you assari, downloading now.

Oh, and congratulations for your useful tutorials - please keep on !

:)

Sergio.

PGF(Posted 2006) [#8]
And also, do you use it ?

Yes but not yet with BlitzMax.

As far as I guess, it's also client/server based, isn't it ? So I guess that installation it's not a trivial task for the final user...

You can install and run Firebird as a server on the same or different machine - So yes it can be client/server but does not have to be run this way.

The embedded version does not need to be installed as a separate package. Just distribute the embedded version files along with your application. It runs on a self contained database file (.FDB) that you specify and is completely transparent to the end user. So it is trivial from the perspective of the end user.

Gavin Beard(Posted 2006) [#9]
semar, u still need a mysql db?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#10]
SQLite (as mentioned) is superb.

semar(Posted 2006) [#11]
[EDITED]
Thanks for the kind answers so far. I'm playing with the Teamonkeys SQLite module, seems to work rather good !

Many thanks,
Sergio.

P.S.
Thank you Teamonkey for that nice SQLite module !

N(Posted 2006) [#12]
The module provided by Noel Cower does not come even with an example on how to use it.

That's because it's SQLite. If you need an example of it, you should go to their site.

semar(Posted 2006) [#13]
Thank you Noel - oh, and thanks for your module.

Sergio.

semar(Posted 2006) [#14]
Another question, is there any graphic tool that I can use to create table and query on a SQLite database ?

Something like MS Access...

Sergio.

N(Posted 2006) [#15]
Nope. Would have to write your own.

Difference(Posted 2006) [#16]
is there any graphic tool that I can use to create table and query on a SQLite database

Yes, do: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=SQLite+gui&btnG=Search

and find
http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/index.html
http://www.visualsqlite.com/
etc.

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#17]
Or SQLYOG! Its free, just a nagware screen at start and end:

http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/download_sqlyogfree.html

Its pretty cool..... of course youd have to have installed and configured a database server either on your local machine or on a remote webserver. :)

semar(Posted 2006) [#18]
Thank you.. this community is awesome !

[EDITED]
database incompatibility issue solved - everything ok.
[/EDITED]
Sergio.