Port Audio on Mac

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Port Audio on Mac

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#1]
It compiles and works fine on win32 and linux however, one person has reported problems compiling port audio on the Mac and getting my examples to run.

There will soon (hopefully) be a mod tracker module released using this library for its sound output.

As I dont have a Mac its up to some kind Mac user out there to compile a library archive ( .a file) and verify that it works okay.

I had problems in Linux running it with brl's gui module, but then I have an nvidia chipset and most things I try with the gui module in linux fail...

Other than that its running *really* well on both platforms and make real time sample mixing real easy...

So step up Mac owners!

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
Not wanting to sound grumpy, but why rar???

It took me 5 minutes to find a rar program for Mac and then it just complains about CRC errors on the file which I have tried downloading twice....

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#3]
hmmm, doesnt seem a problem for 2 other mac users I know and come out of the box in linux

I prefer rar as it gives smaller sizes than zip

If its a problem and I get feedback from mac users I can switch, what none zip decent compression tools are
"native" to mac?

theres some windows sources with a unix build file you might find useful http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/unrar.htm

Which is handy if you're a habitual Msys user...

Just out of interest is there a similar build enviroment like msys for the mac that doesnt use apples frameworks?

Good luck with Port Audio

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#4]
This is the one I use.... http://unrarx.sourceforge.net/

Be warned tho... some people seem not to rar the folder but rather its contents... which generally means you need to first create a folder for the stuff to unrar into....

And another word of warning. This is the first time in 2 years that I've managed to Freeze / Crash my Mac.
The actual port audio tests ran without any major issues (some errors about buffers), but plugging it into Max turned out to be a very nasty experience indeed.

Bzip2 is a nice compression format iirc.
And there's always tar.gz ... which is standard on *nix platforms.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#5]
What? OS X unpacks rar just fine with a default install :)

REDi(Posted 2006) [#6]
So how about it Macsters? if one of you can compile a working .a file of portaudio, theres a * free * crossplatform * thread free * mod player for everyone :)

Up for it?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#7]
Found it... in patest.bmx mycallback's framesPerBuffer was declared as a long not an int crashing the Mac and possibly confusing the PC somewhat also.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#8]
neat thanks, that could be the problem with user data too!

nice spot thx for heads up

- edit rats found that a while ago, have you manged to work out what going on with that userdata pointer?

REDi(Posted 2006) [#9]
AH CR#P, got me all excited then :)

@Skidracer does that mean you have a working .a for the Mac then? :D
any chance we could pinch a copy off you for the mod player? PRETTY PLEASE!!!

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#10]
I didn't manage to get a mac module uploaded (but did get both of Chris's test progs working fine on the Mac) so if you

syncmods -u user -p pass axe.portaudio

on a pc, copy the module across manually to your mac and a buildmodules should have it up and running. Will hopefully have some more time to spend on it tomorrow.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#11]
thanks skid, I'll have a look at linux at some point, we're cracking on well with mod player module and should be near a release soon!

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2006) [#12]
The free version of stuffit will unzip rars

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#13]
StuffitExpander crashes upon unraring. Instead I unrared with the command line rar.Ok did as follows all on the ibook:

./syncmods -u xxxx -p xxxx axe.portaudio
Synchronizing: axe.portaudio
Connecting to server: www.blitzbasic.com/modserver116
Did this actually connect and get the mod?

2. Build modules

Building patest
Compiling:patest.bmx
Linking:patest.debug
ld: archive: /Users/danny/Desktop/libportaudio.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
Build Error: Failed to link /Users/danny/Desktop/patest.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/patest.debug
Process complete

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#14]
Same error here as with the mpeg code Chris :(

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#15]
I'd upgrade to v1.18 for a start and I suspect there may be a problem with your development enviroment, but skidracer would know better than me

Is there no one else with a mac who can help out?

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#16]
It's quite possible it may be my Developer Tools installation, I'll verify this.