Adding a registration key?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Adding a registration key?

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#1]
Greetings,

I'm looking for information on adding a registration/serial key to a BlitzMax program which would unlock a trial version, allowing access to the full product. I've done several searches and found very little information. I've never added anything like this to a program, so I need information covering the entire implementation process. Perhaps someone can point to online articles, sample code, commercial modules, etc?

Thanks folks!

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#2]
There is an entry for a key generator program in the code archives somewhere.

If you do implement a system such as this, keep in mind that it will never be fool proof. The only way to make sure people can't crack your demo version and unlock the full one, is to not have the 'extra' content included in your demo version in the first place. The convenience of being able to unlock the extra content will be offset by the possibility that people can crack it.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#3]
@Tachyon,

If you are thinking of using this for you upcoming game then I suggest purchasing a product such as Software Passport Pro. You can fully integrate into BMax, it's an industry standard and it has not been hacked yet! You will also note that all the big ecommerce players have key generation applications for this wrapper, meaning your customer gets a new valid key at point of transaction. You can also embed stolen keys, thus rendering the key invalid for all future installs of your application.

Don't be put off by the $400 price tag, if your game is good you'll make that back in the first week!

Tachyon(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks for the info, guys. I've started leaning more towards the idea of having a completely seperate download for the full version rather than having it "locked" in the trial.

@Indiepath: Thank you very much for the info. I will investigate that product right away. I'm still not sure how I want to proceed, but at least I have some options. Thanks again.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#5]
Obviously at Cloverleaf we wrap the games for our clients.