Structs Within Structs?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Structs Within Structs?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've got the hang of receiving Structs from a DLL, I think, but the more advanced Structs have Structs within them. Now I'm not entirely sure how to handle these.

Here's how they're defined ( Example )

typedef struct CAR {
	/* general module information */
		CHAR*       name;      /* name of the car */
		CHAR*       mfrname;   /* name of mfr */
		UWORD       flags;     /* Car Info */
		UWORD       numwheels; /* number of wheels */
                struct  WHEEL* wheels; /* all wheels */

Exactly what should I expect to find where? I get as far as numwheels in my static bank containing the car struct, and then I'm not sure what I can expect. Am I expecting to find a series of wheel structs in this block of memory? Am I expecting to find a pointer to a series of wheel structs? Am I expecting to find a pointer to an array of pointers to individual wheel structs?

All I do know is that the first int after the number of wheels comes back zero, which I find odd, so is there some kind of header?

Like I say, really not sure what I'm seeing here.

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
wheels will be a pointer to a block of memory numwheels*sizeof(WHEEL) bytes big (or as you call it a series).

Given your zero result, you are treating UWORD as shorts which is giving you a correct sounding numwheels yes?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks, I thought that's what it would be, but it wasn't working. Now that I know my theory is right, I'll go back over the code for errors.

Yes, I'm treating UWORDS as shorts, and I have verified that the number of wheels is correct.