BlitzMax Help Files in CHM format

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax Help Files in CHM format

assari(Posted 2006) [#1]
**Latest version (updated Mar 18 2007) of HelpFile for v1.24. Download here

For those of us who wants to have an indexed and searchable help file, pls head to here and download the chm file.

[edit]For Mac and Linux users you can try viewing chm file using xchm or KchmViewer. I have no experience with this but apparently some BlitzMax users have had some success. See forum thread here.

It is based on the latest 1.16 docs

gman(Posted 2006) [#2]
totally cool assari. good job and thx!

N(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks, this is very nice. If you want me to mirror it, let me know, as it's probably the most I can do in return.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#4]
This is very cool. thanks! I can now add help to my bmax ultraedit configuration :))

assari(Posted 2006) [#5]
Noel,
Thanks for your offer to mirror. You already has done more than most to this community so there's no need to do anything for this. Just keep those modules coming :)

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hm.... It doesn't appear to work for me... (WinXP SP2)

When I open the file, I see the tabs, the contents, index and all, but the right pane shows the standard IE error:

Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later

Clicking on any other items in the left pane after that just result in a blank screen in the right pane, no matter what I try.

I have a bunch of other .CHM files on my computer that do work properly... Oddly enough, yours gives a pop-up message when trying to launch:

Open File - Security Warning
Do you want to open this file?

Publisher: Unknown Publisher
Type: Compiled HTML Help file

[X] Always ask before opening this file
[!] While files from the internet can be useful, this file type can potentially harm your computer. If you do not trust the source, do not open this file.

[Open] [Cancel]

None of the other .chm files I have give me this pop-up, which I find rather odd.... I tried renaming yours, but still the same popup and the same non-functional right pane

N(Posted 2006) [#7]
Try going into its file properties and seeing if there's an 'unblock' button.

Panno(Posted 2006) [#8]
thx

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#9]
What do you know -- "This file came from another computer and has been blocked to protect your computer". Never seen that one before...

I would still have expected the "Open anyway" to just show me the file, though... But 'unblocking' it did the trick. Thanks!

assari(Posted 2006) [#10]
A new version 116b has been uploaded. There were functions missing from the original helpfile due to a bug in my parser.

Pls download from here. For those with XP SP2 don't forget to unblock

Apologies for any inconvenienced caused.

gman(Posted 2006) [#11]
this is the best thing since sliced bread assari!

in my parser

not to be incredibly curious but you wrote something to create this then? i would be really interested in creating CHM format files to go along with several of my mods. if i could build them out of the docmod stuff then i would only need to document once. would you be interested in providing that service?

assari(Posted 2006) [#12]
I'm using the free Microsoft HTML Help SDK to compile from html to chm.

The workflow is as follows:-
1) Create the required html files from the html files in the blitzmax doc and mod folders into a new folder
2) Create the content and index files (hhk and hhc) from this folder
3) compile the html using the microsoft html compiler.

If you want I can send you my source. Has not been written for public consumption though so I will not be releasing it to the general public.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#13]
As a sidenote: I don't know what font you are using for the article text on your site, but it's almost illegible on my computer (WinXP SP2). See here for a screenshot:

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#14]
Thanks for this very useful addition to our development toolset.

VERY Much appreciated.

I hate BMax docs with avengance, the Wiki is worse - in fact I think if someone were to write a proper intoduction to BMax book - it would go down a storm.

IPete2.

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#15]
Assari, fantastic stuff. Maybe there should be a list of 'community' developed tools which should be (but aren't) shipped with Bmax.
This and FrameWork Assistance would be in for certain.

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2006) [#16]
Nice one, thanks Assari :)

gman(Posted 2006) [#17]
that would be much appreciated assari :) if there is anything i can do in return please ask. please email and we can discuss.

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#18]
wow.....this is the first help file I've ever seen that's actually helpful....thanks.

assari(Posted 2006) [#19]
@gman,
Pls check your email. You do not owe me anything. If you do manage to turn this into something shareable, pls share with this community.

@xlsior, thanks for the comment. Just the push I needed to change the website theme :)

@others, thanks for the nice comments. Just doing my bit to the community

gman(Posted 2006) [#20]
wow! thx for taking the time throwing that together. if i come up with anything more streamlined i will be sure to shared. thx again :)

Sashnil(Posted 2006) [#21]
This is going to speedup my dev x folds!

I live in my helpfiles!

amonite(Posted 2006) [#22]
nice idea assari, i might do the same with my translation of the BlitzMax documentation into french. But why asking BRL for the permission as i thought the blitzMax help could be freely distributed and copied under the Creative Commons license ?
Or maybe i got something wrong ?

assari(Posted 2006) [#23]
You may be right. I was just making sure

assari(Posted 2006) [#24]
Anyone seen any changes in the docs for 1.18? Is it worthwhile to update the chm file?
Skid mentioned something about a new DefaultGraphicsFlags() function. I could not see this anywhere

ozak(Posted 2006) [#25]
Works on OS X too: http://chmox.sourceforge.net/

And Linux: http://xchm.sourceforge.net/

So CHM's are readable across all BlitzMax platforms :)

semar(Posted 2006) [#26]
@assari,
many thanks for this *GREAT* contribution to the community with your Bmax help file.

All the best,
Sergio.

assari(Posted 2006) [#27]
Latest version of HelpFile for v1.18. Download here

assari(Posted 2006) [#28]
Latest version of HelpFile for v1.20. Download here

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#29]
Thanks for updating this useful resource!

gman(Posted 2006) [#30]
again, thx :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2006) [#31]
Would be nice if the MaxIDE has a search feature too, although in a way it does - hit F1 twice.

assari(Posted 2006) [#32]
AngelDaniel,
Apparently you can view compiled help files (chm) on MacOS and Linux via xCHM. I've never tried this. Let me know if it works.

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#33]
assari, thanks very much for the chm update.

amonite(Posted 2006) [#34]
Wicked ! :)

Ziltch(Posted 2006) [#35]
Thank you.
The searching is VERY handy!