Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place

Difference(Posted 2006) [#1]
I love BlitzMax and have moved all blitz related development to Bmax.

Some of this involves simple 3D viewers, and using OpenGL it's been possible to make what was needed.

Here's the catch: My old Blitz3D / DX7 based viewers would run on almost any kind of GFX card, including the many cheap ones built into motherboards.

Many of the same cards/office machines won't run OpenGL based 3D. Many are missing basic features such as Texture support, and some drivers seem simply be flawed or missing.

So basicly, I dream of the Blitz3D engine for Bmax.

Every night.

Most of the day too.

HELP!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#2]
And with DX7 support :D

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#3]
I've kindof reverted to Blitz3D cos it lets me do what I need, but I do yearn for BlitzMax syntax sometimes.

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#4]
if you only need a viewer, why cant you just use blitz3d?

Difference(Posted 2006) [#5]
As it says above, because I've put too much work into the BlitzMax codebase to go back. The 3D is somewhat simple, the data objects behind are not. There is a lot of updating, changing properties, loading, deleting etc. going on, all based on BlitzMax objects and their methods. Also I need to use native Windows controls.

I'm looking to do the next version of the programs with BlitzMax GUI, As it is now, I've been using native Win32 GUI, but I'd like to switch.

I need a dX7 (DX8 maybe?) 3D engine, that will run in a Blitzmax canvas or simmilar and that is as compatible and stable as the wonderfull Blitz3D "engine".

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
Irrlicht should be viable. It has a DX8 renderer, and I think it either has a DX7 renderer or a software renderer ( as well as OpenGL ) and should run in a BMax canvas.

Leiden(Posted 2006) [#7]
The Irrlicht software renderer is crap, there has been a better one added to the latest Irrlicht release which looks a whole lot better than the default one. Until GMan updates his Irrlicht wrapper then DX8 is probably the only option but its probably not going to run on all the hardware a DX7 based Renderer would.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#8]
Well my stats show about 95% coverage with DX8, which is still pretty darn impressive, and with OpenGL as a possible alternative for the other 5%, it should certainly be an improvement over just plain OpenGL and no alternative.

I don't have the Irrlicht wrapper, so I didn't know the new software renderer wasn't available in Bmax. Apologies if I misled.

Difference(Posted 2006) [#9]
Thanks guys. Irrlicht does seem to be a candidate. There's a sample (nr 14) that puts Irrlicht in a BlitzMax Panel, just what I need.

I'm also looking into controlling Blitz3D from Blizmax.

gman(Posted 2006) [#10]

Until GMan updates his Irrlicht wrapper

the Irrlicht mods have been updated to the latest version of Irrlicht since 2005/12/04 which does contain the new software renderer. is there something im missing? they are available from my forum area instead of the worklogs nowadays.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#11]
I'm also looking into controlling Blitz3D from Blizmax.

Interesting. Do let us know how that goes. That would be an interesting way to go.

Leiden(Posted 2006) [#12]
the Irrlicht mods have been updated to the latest version of Irrlicht since 2005/12/04 which does contain the new software renderer. is there something im missing? they are available from my forum area instead of the worklogs nowadays.

Ahh, I was going on what you had in the worklogs not what was on your site. My bad...

Well my stats show about 95% coverage with DX8, which is still pretty darn impressive, and with OpenGL as a possible alternative for the other 5%, it should certainly be an improvement over just plain OpenGL and no alternative.

Thats a good point, you can be pretty sure somethings bound to run on their configuration.

gman(Posted 2006) [#13]
@Leiden - thx for the update. just wanted to make sure there wasnt a second source out there that i didnt know about.