WinInet DECLS to Mod - But Wrong

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/WinInet DECLS to Mod - But Wrong

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

This works in B3d :

DECLS :

.lib "wininet.dll"

InternetOpen%(Agent$, AccessType%, ProxyName%, ProxyBypass%, Flags%):"InternetOpenA"

CODE :

H=InternetOpen("...",0,0,0,0)

But this doesn't work in BMax :

MOD:

Extern
	Function InternetOpenA:Int(lpszAgent:String,dwAccessType:Int,lpszProxyName:Int,lpszProxyBypass:Int,dwFlags:Int) = "InternetOpenA@20"

End Extern

CODE:

Local H:Int=InternetOpenA("...",0,0,0,0)

Now I have no idea why the B3D version works, because the MSDN says everything is supposed to be a pointer, but it does work just fine. Try it. The BMax version gives a value which changes constantly ( I have no idea why ) and then causes an unhandled memory exception error when the program finishes. Now possibly I'm going blind, but to me, it's the same damn code.

EDIT: To clarify, it works as long as you only touch the variable you put it in once. If you debuglog H over and over, that's when it goes wrong. If you do the same thing in B3d, it's fine.

EDIT 2: If you make H a Global instead of a Local, it stops changing value. WHY!? It still has the unhandled memory exception error though.

EDIT 3: If you change everything to what the MSDN asks for ( IE: Pointers to strings ) then it works without any errors. EXCEPT that you then can't put it into a function, because if you do, it goes back to throwing an unhandled memory exception error. This is just ridiculous.

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Nevermind, it crashes too. I'll keep trying

Btw, are you trying to read a file off the net or something? I Might be able to help with other methods

Yan(Posted 2006) [#3]
Extern "Win32"
??

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#4]
shouldn't lpsz be a Byte Ptr?

Eikon(Posted 2006) [#5]
Here's how I tried it:
Import "-lwininet"
Extern 
	Function InternetOpen(sAgent:Byte Ptr, lAccessType, sProxyName:Byte Ptr, sProxyBypass:Byte Ptr, lFlags) = "InternetOpenA@20"

End Extern

Local hOpen = InternetOpen("test", 1, "", "", 0)
DebugLog hOpen
DebugLog hOpen
DebugLog hOpen
but this causes an odd crash:
Assertion failed: scopeStackTop>0, file C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/appstub.mod/debugger.stdio.c, line 487
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Unhandled Exception: Received Signal
	BlitzMax Console Debugger H=Help
Declare Function InternetOpen Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenA" (ByVal sAgent As String, ByVal lAccessType As Long, ByVal sProxyName As String, ByVal sProxyBypass As String, ByVal lFlags As Long) As Long

Yan(Posted 2006) [#6]
Wouldn't it be something like...
Import "-lwininet"

Extern "Win32"
    Function InternetOpen(sAgent$z, lAccessType, sProxyName$z, sProxyBypass$z, lFlags) = "InternetOpenA@20"
End Extern

Local hOpen = InternetOpen("test", 1, Null, Null, 0)
DebugLog Hex(hOpen)
DebugLog Hex(hOpen)
DebugLog Hex(hOpen)

DebugLog ""

test()

End

Function test()
    Local hOpen = InternetOpen("test1", 1, Null, Null, 0)
    DebugLog Hex(hOpen)
    DebugLog Hex(hOpen)
    DebugLog Hex(hOpen)
End Function
??

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#7]
shouldn't lpsz be a Byte Ptr?

I thought so, but as I said, doesn't work that way either. As soon as it goes in a function or in a local variable, that crashes too.

Extern "Win32"

Just a little hangover I had from trying everything I could think of. It was like that most of the time and it doesn't make any difference.

Yet going back now and making that change has it working just fine, lmao. And I know I tried that about five times without it working last night. I must be losing the plot.

Crikey Eikon, that's almost the same way I did it with Byte Ptr's and a new and weirder error. The only difference was that I used ToCString on the strings.

Melvin: Although just the Win32 bit seems to make it work now, that last way looks good as it saves the ToCString bit by using the $z. Is any cleanup needed with $z now that the garbage collector is automatic? EDIT: Having checked another question about ToCString's I had last night, I now know that the answer is no, Max cleans up after $z's.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#8]
No clean up needed with $z. :o)