blide-0-6-1

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/blide-0-6-1

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#1]
There's a new BLIde update with this changlog:

Start-up bug in some windows distros was causing a BLIde crash on 0.6.0.

Render editor window in some windows distros was not showing the code on 0.6.0

CHANGES INTRODUCED IN 0.6.0:

Improved intelisense to handle Arrays and Functions retourning classes

Learning modules keywords cache system tol speed up loading time

Some extra folding functions (while, loop, etc.)

Fixed focus bug on search and replace dialog

Fixed file handling for large projects that was causing BLIde to have a general performance slow down.

Improved Auto-list type recognition

BLIde now makes a deep monitoring of start-up time

Navigate to now integrated in the IDE browser

New feature: Refresh module's caché on next start-up

Improved first-time configuration wizard to enable the selection of the BLIde skin

New Feature:Windows console

General memory swaps reduced to increase speed

New UFP parser much faster

General menu organization, more conceptual

Local tree shortcuts is now generated in a scondary thread, to improve performance

Application loading time has been reduced drastically

Some improvements to the general look and feel of the interfice

Better handling of big applications

Support for derived classes or arrays in intelisense

The two bugs where releated to a language windows dll, and now both of theme are fixed.

Please upgrade to this version even if your current 0.6.0 version is working fine for you, as this bugs may appear randomly on version 0.6.0

sorry for the inconvenience.

You can download this version at http://www.blide.org

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#2]
Please, report feedback if you have any problem running this new version.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#3]
Works great, thank you :-)

Might I suggest a further enhancement to the intellisense?
It should parse in the .i files for modules that are not available in source form and learn their commands and constants as well. Eliza3D is one of these modules for example ... I assume that more modules are following when BM has grown out of its child problems it actually has ...

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yes, it's a good idea. I'll see how to implement this for further versions

TeaVirus(Posted 2006) [#5]
Manel, same problem here with the new version. During the learning keywords process it stops at "Module Area:tmp" and reports the exception:

Ok, figured out what was happening. I keeps my mods in a Subversion repository so the folders were littered with ".svn" folders containing all kinds of stuff. The command parser was choking on something in one of those folders. Simply exporting a clean copy of my mods repository fixed the problem. Maybe in the next version you could have Blide simply skip all folders named ".svn" and "CVS" (just in case) to get around this.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#6]
In your description you say "This is the last version"

Surely, you mean "latest version?" as last would imply the final, and no more..

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#7]
Nice as always, works great :)

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks Manel, I'll try it out tomorrow after work. Your work on this is highly appreciated.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#9]
@Matt McFarland: I meant 'This is the latest version', you're correct. Thanks for your correction. English is not my strong point.

@TeaVirus: It can be a parser problem regarding folders with extensions. The use of this kind of nomenclature is not very usual, that's the reason why nobody else have found this bug before. Anyway, I'll fix it for next release.

Glad to see the compatibility bug is finally solved.

ozak(Posted 2006) [#10]
Isn't it called intellisense? It annoys my eye on each startup :)
Or is it a Microsoft trademark? ;)
Great editor btw :)

Sin of Nature(Posted 2006) [#11]
Damn fine editor. Good work.

Sin

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#12]
Woohoo, thanks to a pointer from Manel that the later versions require the MS Script Control, I was finally able to get blide 0.6.1 working!

For whatever reason the control was not registered by my system -- it was resolved by running the following: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msscript.ocx

(As a side-note: In the process of my various installs/uninstalls/system restores/etc, I managed to completed mess up my install of the .NET Framework.
I couldn't re-install *or* uninstall the framework until I followed a ridiculously elaborate set of instructions hidden away somewhere on the microsoft site to wipe out all traces by hand first. May your framework never blow up..)

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#13]
There is ONE thing preventing me to code with Blide rather than with the default IDE. Right now the default TAB is 4 spaces. And I am use to TAB of 2 spaces! So how can I change this option in Blide?? I didn't see any option, did I miss something?... That would be nice to add that to Blide!!
Keep up the good work!

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#14]
The most annoying BLIde bug revealed:

1) Open a BLIde application that holds more than 1 bmx file.

2) Put your cursor into a function (preferabbly inside a TYPE)

3) Go ahead and put some bogus code in the function, say print "bogus code"

4) Now go ahead and tab into another bmx file and pick any like and hit ENTER.

BAM! "End Function" appears out of nowhere and you have to delete it.

I think that's how it works.. you might not even have to put code in another function, but just have to create a new function and then make it and then tab into another file and BAM End function.. either way, sometimes I get End Function to appear out of nowhere. I'll try to track it down further if you can't recreate the problem.

I was hoping this would be fixed in 0.6 but its not just yet! Hope to see it gone in 0.7 or sooner.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#15]
@Matt: I'm working on this bug. Thanks for reporting. :D

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#16]
Another Bug or issue i've already posted, is this:

Everytime I try to enter something like Print "MyVab: " then
the autocompletion starts and I always have to delete the not belonging letters. So please disable autocompletion between "".
I hope this will make it in the next release.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2006) [#17]
Ziggy, what about my (easy) feature request (3 posts above)? Thank you.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#18]
@RepeatUntil: I'm not sure if I can do it without changing some parts of the BLEditorControl (wich is the most 'delicated' part of BLIde). I'm taking a look at that, but I can't answer your request untill I see what it implies. It seems to be easy, but you know, sometimes the easiest thing is the most complicated one.

GameScrubs(Posted 2006) [#19]
It would be cool if you press Ctrl + Space bar to get the intellisense to popup with a list of functions. I hate looking through the help files

Snader(Posted 2006) [#20]
Can't start Blide. Says : The applications has generated an exception that could not be handled....

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#21]
@Snader: I had the exact same problem -- the later versions of Blide require the MS Script Control, which apparently isn't registered with the system on all computers for some reason.
Most likely it will work for you after typing the following in a command prompt window:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msscript.ocx

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#22]
Klepto, you can turn auto completion off yourself! I think there's a checkbox in the lower right corner (off memory here, at work!) or something that turns off "auto learn" and I think that removes the auto completion.

Klepto, if that doesntr work, whenever the auto completion thingy opens up just hit ESC :)

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#23]
I know that you could turn autocompletion off, but that isn't what I want to do. And the thing with ESC I also already know,
but it is a bit disturbing if you write to fast and pressed the space key unfortunatly after a typing ':' or '.'.

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#24]
I agree w/ klepto and i would also like to see that when you do use autocomplete it should stay up when you press backspace because i'm always not looking at what i'm typeing and misspress a letter, press backspace and the list goes.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#25]
@Klepto2: This has been solved for next release

@RepeatUntil: The 'tab' size will be configurable on the next version.

@Diablo: It's a good idea, but not easy to do. I'll see what to do with your suggestion.

@GameScurbs: Good Idea, what wich list of functions exactly? Do you mean a 'self defined' set of funtions?

Diablo(Posted 2006) [#26]
i just removed a include from my code and then refreshed dependencies to remove it from the list. Now it let me click on includes of the root file however when i click on includes of the sub-root it throws this error:

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#27]
Wow, Ziggy that sounds great.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#28]
ziggy: I think gamescurbs means an intellisense like list as in visual studio IDE and similar (so all known functions, variables etc which which only shows the possible completitions which meet the already entered starting part)

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#29]
@Dreamora: This is very complicated to do, It will force me to parse all the used functions, variables, etc and store them, sort them alphabeticaly... and everything at real time, while higlighting and learning all type's structures, etc etc.
It can be done, but It's a little complicated by now.

GameScrubs(Posted 2006) [#30]
Right now the intellisense activates when you start typing a letter. Can't you just make it activate when you press the CTRL + Spacebar?

I don't remember if you have the Max functions in the intellisense or not, but what I was thinking is that when you go to Help then click on the Index link you get a list of all the functions within Max.

If you could do that, it would be great since I don't really memorize the spelling of all the functions.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#31]
I think I could do something, but I'm not sure if it'll work... I'll take a look...

d-bug(Posted 2006) [#32]
@ziggy:
Very good work so far, but the request i've startet for version 0.5.4 still isn't in the this release :( .

there are still two or three things holding me back from using BLide...
1. The File-Popup when you start BLide
2. Why doesn't BLide opens the last opened Files again ?

It's still holding me back...

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#33]
d:bug I'll make this changes, soon, I promise!!

Snader(Posted 2006) [#34]
@xlsior : Thanx mate! That did the job!

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#35]
@Diablo: The 'refresh dependencies' bug has been fixed for next release. It was a problem of object freeing, now it has been trapped and in next version it will work as spected. If you're getting this error, just save and load again your application instead of using the refresh dependencies button (until release of 0.6.2)

@RepeatUntil: The TabSize issue has been made configurable for next version 0.6.2, and works great :D

@d:bug: The start-up will be configurable on next version (welcome page or open the last opened application)

d-bug(Posted 2006) [#36]
thx, ziggy sounds great