Windows Service?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Windows Service?

orgos(Posted 2006) [#1]
Any way to create BMax application like a Service in windows??.

Thanks.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#2]
presumably you can start it by putting an entry into the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

DStastny(Posted 2006) [#3]
There are some difference between a straight EXE and a true Service. Windows will allow you to run an EXE as a service using a helper SVCHOST.exe if you dont impelment a native service. Google SVCHOST and you should be able to find information.

Now a service can interact with Desktop...ie have a GUI but I dont know if SVCHOST can do it or not. I have only written native services in Delphi and C++.

Currently BMAX startup code will not run as native service as there is a different sequence that needs to be done.

Without threading a good responsive serivce will be next to impossible to write.

What are you trying to do?

Doug Stastny

orgos(Posted 2006) [#4]
I triying to make a on-line game, but i no have much experience on c++, and delphi.

I know that c++ is the best to make a game server.

Delphi is really good to make game server? Any one have experience developing Server application in Delphi? Using what component? or native way?

Is really compatible use GNet and Game Server maked in Delphi or C++?

Any aditional experience in concurrency and high amount of users connected to server, making a lots of operations?.

DStastny(Posted 2006) [#5]
For an online game you really dont need a service just regular application will do. Easier to startup and shut down.

Delphi can write excellent servers just like C++ and with the latest version of Delphi compiler just as fast, but these types of things require understanding of networking and how to multitier application and effecitvely utilize threading. Dont let any body kid you and tell you you can write this stuff without threads, if they say you can ask them to show you cause they are just yappin.

There is no magic components here. Well you can buy a commerical engine for million dollars or so...

With GNET you are pretty stuck with BMAX only, unless you want to port GNET. No offense to Mark or BRL. It works but its not that great. It does what it was designed to do.

My suggestion is to build something small to get feeling for networking and networking protocals. Write a small game using raw UDP. More issues to solve there before trying to scale to high volume stuff. Too often people look for a magic network layer.. You will always make comprimises unless you know how to do it yourself. If you write the UDP code and develope the protocal then you can port to whatever language you like.

Without know more about what kind of game and size and scope thats best advice I can give.

Doug Stastny