When BMax 3d module?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/When BMax 3d module?

orgos(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello people,

Happy new year to avery body.

When the 3d module for BMax come out?

I talk about the official 3d module.

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#2]
When the 3d module for BMax come out?
Before Christmas.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#3]
Before Christmas

Will(Posted 2006) [#4]
But more seriously, the answer is that none of us have any possible way to know if its coming out at all. The last time we heard anything about it was months ago, the poor thing is possibly tied up in someone's basement suffering the slow death of obsoletion.

But, if you are the type to have faith despite this, here is the legend passed down to me by my great, great grandfather:

There is an entity known as BRL, it established this land. From the ancient engravings, we know of one named Mark. The scientists and mathematicians tell us he died long ago, indeed nobody has heard from him in millennia. The priests, however, tell us Mark lives on in the hearts of the optimistic. A few crackpots field wilde theories that Mark survives today, hidden below the eroding edifices of the ancient BRL, perhaps carving a new land beneath them in utter secrecy. As the children's tale goes, Mark once nourished the people of this land with tales of his works to come, but heretics had him burned and flamed, and now his spirit lives on in bitterness avowed never again to raise the people's spirits with his miraculous stories of things to come.

If you want the 3D module, don't let the silence consume you. I'd love to think its coming out in a few months, but I thought that THIS TIME LAST YEAR. You could use a solution like the Irrlicht module, although that doesn't support macs and has no mac support time-lined for the future - so that rules it out for some of us. The time has come to decide how patient you are. Can you wait indefinitely, not knowing how long (even in years) you might be waiting? If not, check out unity (otee.dk) I don't have it, but its cross platform, runs on the web, has a powerful 3D engine and a nice workflow to it.

Me? Im waiting indefinitely. I don't want to work out another solution only to find out Max3D comes out in 2 months - likewise I don't want to wait on that fear for ANOTHER year and let all the things I want to make in 3D be made by other people. So I'll keep waiting until I can't anymore, and then I'll feel terrible (maybe worse) and be behind 2 years. I justified buying BlitzMax because of the 3D module (which at the time was forecast by most in months) - I would buy it and learn the language so that when the 3D module came out I'd be able to jump in right away. Now after a year of learning if I jump ship and head to Unity I've blown allot more than $80, I've blown a year of my life.

I feel like a hostage now. I hope BRL didn't know how much it actually hurts me not to have even monthly progress reports, or anything to help keep my chin up - because I like to think the best of people.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2006) [#5]
Will, by the end of that post I could actually visualize you crying behind your keyboard.

I can't say I feel your pain yet, though. I've only been
Blitzing for 5 months. (Therefore, waiting for the 3d module
for 5 months)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#6]
Will, by the end of that post I could actually visualize you crying behind your keyboard

I was crying the moment I saw the thread title.

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#7]
I looked at Unity and at a ridiculous price of $999.00 they can keep it. I'll wait for Max3D.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#8]
I justified buying BlitzMax because of the 3D module (which at the time was forecast by most in months) - I would buy it and learn the language so that when the 3D module came out I'd be able to jump in right away.

Thou art not alone, fellow traveller. Perhaps it was unwise, and doubtless many would inform us of our folly without being asked, but I also followed in that path...

Panno(Posted 2006) [#9]
42 !

CoderLaureate(Posted 2006) [#10]
Yes that's the answer, but what is the question? Oh, too bad the Vogons blew up the earth before Max 3D could be released.

Berbank(Posted 2006) [#11]
It would be nice to have more updates without asking. I know Mark is busy, but just a short, non commital post on progress twice a month would be good. Is that asking too much? My 3D work has also been stalled for several months as I wait for news.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2006) [#12]
I would be willing to wait more than 8 more months if we were given intermittent progress reports. Anything to keep
the hope alive!

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#13]
:o Mark's giving up smoking!, lets hope he doesnt go beserk, get jailed and we never get a 3d module!

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#14]
This is What Happened...

Mark Sibly recently gave up smoking. A good thing to do and a wise choice. Mark has always been a rather slender man but the act of quitting the nicotine habit has a tendency to force one to indulge in other worldly pleasures to fill the void. Since December 18th, 2005 Mark has been on a non-stop binge- eating everything in site. One New Zealander swears he saw Mark eat a Hobbit but that has not been confirmed (or denied). Mark has gained over 125 lbs (2000 Euros) Making it difficult for him to reach his tiny Mac Keyboard.

seriously folks. Let's put this into perspective.

Max has been out for a little over a year. MaxGUI has been out for a few months. By all accounts Blitzmax is a superior product to all previous incarnations of Blitz products and it's open nature allows far more flexibility on the part of the programmer. One of the things that keeps me working with blitz is its speed and stability. Stability is not something taht comes easy to cutting edge graphics programming, every fancy feature opens up major holes that bugs can crawl through.

With Max3D (or whatever it'll be called) I would rather wait for a Stable, Well designed Module from the get-go than a half-arsed mess that has been released 100 times by other companies in their Zeal to capitalize on their idea.

besides, anyone who has ever programmed a 3d game or app knows that the up-front design can take many months (regardless of the language it is eventually coded in) so get out your Milkshapes, Photoshops and Audacitys and get that stuff out of the way so when the 3D mod gets here you can hit the ground running.

deps(Posted 2006) [#15]
Well said Bill.

But some progress reports on the module now and then wouldn't hurt.

bradford6(Posted 2006) [#16]
agreed.

Will(Posted 2006) [#17]
Does anyone who has been here longer than me (longer than 1 year) know why BRL don't ever tell us anything, or even confirm that there is anything to tell?

N(Posted 2006) [#18]
Does anyone who has been here longer than me (longer than 1 year) know why BRL don't ever tell us anything, or even confirm that there is anything to tell?

Been here about 2-3 years. They've been quiet the whole time. I'd assume they just don't like dealing with their users.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#19]
Honestly thinking about it, Mark must be one busy man! Although Id appreciate a news update every month.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#20]
I think it was a mistake for BRL to ever mention that BlitzMax would have a Next-Gen cross-platform 3d module. It is obviously a mammoth task that has thrown up an awful lot of problems and from the lack of news or recent demos one can assume that it still very far from completion. They could have touted BlitzMax as 2d only - a sort of next version BLitz+ (as it is currently) - and then worked on the 3d module in secret.
Announcing it in such grand terms as Next-Gen 3d and THEN going underground is a bit unfair.
I'm sure it will be worth the wait in the end - just don't put off any current 3d development expecting the 3d module to appear any time soon. It would be better to find an alternative solution and maybe do as has been suggested i.e. work on the art content.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2006) [#21]
As much as I hate it, I agree with you, Smiff.

degac(Posted 2006) [#22]
Instead of complain on the missing of the 3d module, I think it could be a better solution say to BRL what we would like to see in their next 3d mod, dont' you?
I think many of Bmax user are ex/current blitz3d users so some ideas of what is good and what is bad is pretty clear.
Obviously this is only my opinion...

orgos(Posted 2006) [#23]
I think that is good idea "degac".

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#24]

Once upon a time, Mark was very forthcoming. His little black worklog would get updated every few weeks (or more often, even). But the problem with doing that, is that you tend to say things that are on your mind at the time. Usually things you've just thought of, or are experimenting with, or even simply hypothesising. A lot of the time these sorts of things just don't eventuate. Then people continously start new 'when is MaxGUI coming out' threads more than twice a week for 6 months before its release, or 'you -PROMISED- us DX8 support for B3D!' etc ad nauseam and the whole process probably becomes quite upsetting.

I'd assume they just don't like dealing with their users.

I'd tend to agree - and I can't find fault with it either...