Blitzmax advice

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitzmax advice

Chevron(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,
I am considering purchasing Bmax and wondered what benifits it offers over B3D.
Also what is the projected timescale for the 3D module.

How easy is it to transfer to from programming in B3D?

Cheers

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
BMax offers speed increases, OOP and a general good fuzzy feeling inside.

The 3D module will be out when it's done.

Transferring from B3D can be confusing for some at first, but it is most definitely worth it. I have a great deal of trouble going back to B3D (I have done to post code samples for people).

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#3]
BlitzMax seems to be a more structured and organized.

I have no clue on the current status of the 3d module, but I would hope it would be out before 2007. I can't see it taking any longer.

Makepool(Posted 2006) [#4]
Don't want to put you off BlitzMAX but initially you'll hate the documentation and it'll drastically increase the time required to learn the language. Eventually you'll get used to it but it still hurts when I think back to how good the Blitz Basic and Blitz 3D documentation was.... oh well.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2006) [#5]
I really do hope BRL are planning on improving the documentation.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#6]
I think they are.
As the wiki is evolving they will hopefully spend some time in it to gather their documentation in some ways from there.

I wouldn't plan with the official 3D module for this year. Perhaps it will come out but I don't think that it will (and I know that it is still 1.1.2006 for quite some places) so if you are planing to use 3D, you should consider the Irrlicht BM (if crossplattform) or Elize 3D if windows only

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#7]
BlitzMax is the best choice for the long run, but if you just want to make a project and get it out, BlitzMax isn't the choice right now.

Is that a good response?

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#8]
I really do hope BRL are planning on improving the documentation.
They did for Blitz3D.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#9]
Instead of a punch in the face, it's more like a punch in the gut now.