ODE integration in DreiDe

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/ODE integration in DreiDe

Vertex(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi!
I need some ideas to include ODE Physics in DreiDe...

My first idea:
The type "TEntity" becomes the attributes "ODEBodyID" and "ODEGeomID" in addition.

So you have to call at any frame MyEntity.UpdateODE(). UpdateODE will take the in ODE computed position and orientation and set it to this entity.

But what is wih other things? MyEntity.SetPosition(...) or dBodySetPosition(MyEntity.GetODEBody(), ...) ?

Or does DreiDe realy need a directly implemantation of ODE? DreiDe is firstly a rendering engine, or what you think? So I only show you, how to use ODE with this rendering engine.

cu olli

Haramanai(Posted 2005) [#2]
If I am not wrong if you change the position or the rotation manually you are destroying the Physics simulation.
Never played with ODE.... (Just a little bit with Newton)
The update from 1.12 to 1.14 was to fast. Or am I missing something and ODE module it's out for 1.14.

I think the best think is to just impliment a collision system for Dreide like irrlicht. Something like AABB or Elipsoide (Something Fast). Let the user the freedom to turn on and set the collisions for the objects.(Then the demos will start coming out.)
And as the ODE module will be out again.
The implementation it's not hard as Dreide uses the standard OpenGL Matrixes.
I am saying that because to implement Newton was really easy.

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2005) [#3]
I agree with Haramanai and I like your First idea. But overall,
I am VERY glad you decided to continue working on this!

All that Driede needs is a camera that rotates (locally, and
using world coordinates) and we'll have ourselves a gem!

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#4]
be sure to take a look at toms very good and probably overlooked entity code on the opengl forum, now theres a gem...

Vertex(Posted 2005) [#5]
Haramanai: Hmmm mak.ode comes with 1.14 I think. I don't want to implement only a collisiondetection system. ODE Physics has a simple collision detection system integrated(with AABB and so on).

drew: Yes, DreiDe become a camerasystem, thats sure.

Chris C: Thats not the problem. The problem is, to link entitys with ODE.

cu olli

Haramanai(Posted 2005) [#6]
Nope just checked and Mak it's empty for Modserver 114.

The Mak.Ode still in ModServer112.

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#7]
ah well you can get the position directly from ode, to get the angles you have to get the matrix and grab the objects angles from that - another reason to look at toms code...