HotDocs incompatible with BlIde?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/HotDocs incompatible with BlIde?

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#1]
It appears that when you install HotDocs, the F1 help for keywords in BLIde is broken. Without HotDocs installed, you can place your cursor on or in front of a keyword and F1 will display help for it. With HotDocs installed, doing the same thing will only generate the message "No topic found in BlitzMax documentation for the keyword: xxxxx" in BLIde.

Do others see the same problem? I don't see anything about the issue in the BLIde forums. I tried to look at the HotDocs forum, but it doesn't seem to exist at the address linked from the HotDocs website.

Mark.

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#2]
hm... Hotdocs create command-list at the same way - the only difference is that here are no #anchors at the end - this anchors are needed to jump directly to a docs-position. but that is only useful, if you have many commands in 1 file...

but i look for this...

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#3]
www.blitzbase.de/_hotdocs/test.zip

demo compiled - with few modifications... copy template to styled.template

test it

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ok, I installed that and see that now commands.txt has in it anchors that say each is at the top of the page.
BLIde still has the same problem with HotDocs. I've done a little bit more in-depth testing...

When I replace the commands.txt with the original (_commands.txt), BLIde F1 help works fine.

It's easy to see this problem; simply open BLIde (I'm using 0.5.3) with the original commands.txt in place (not the HotDocs version) and open digesteroids.bmx. Put the cursor in a keyword, examples
Const
Import
DrawText
SetBlend
KeyDown

and push F1 with the cursor in the keyword.
The file that opens --
Const - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/doc/commands.html#Const
Import - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/doc/commands.html#Import
DrawText - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/max2d.mod/doc/commands.html#DrawText
SetBlend - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/max2d.mod/doc/commands.html#SetBlend
KeyDown - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/polledinput.mod/doc/commands.html#KeyDown

Ok, now close BlIde, replace the original commands.txt with the one from HotDocs and repeat the above test.

Const - No topic found in BlitzMax documentation for the keyword: Const
Import - No topic found in BlitzMax documentation for the keyword: Import
DrawText - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/max2d.mod/doc/commands.html#DrawText
SetBlend - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/d3d7max2d.mod/doc/commands.html#SetBlend
KeyDown - BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/polledinput.mod/doc/commands.html#KeyDown

It appears that commands in blitz.mod are not being seen by BLIde when HotDocs is installed. Note that it is the original docs that are opened by BLIde and not the HotDocs docs, leading me to believe that commands.txt is parsed by BLIde for only the blitz.mod.
I expanded on the above test and added a few keywords that are in other mods, and as long as the keywords aren't in blitz.mod they seem to be picked up fine by BLIde when HotDocs is installed.

Ok, then I did a further test.

I experimented with the commands.txt entries for a couple of the commands in blitz.mod
EachIn
Catch
With the HotDocs commands.txt in place, the error occurred in BLIde.

Original commands.txt -
EachIn|/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/doc/commands.html#EachIn
Catch|/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/doc/commands.html#Catch

HotDocs commands.txt -
I modified the lines so they had the same anchors -
EachIn|/hotdocs/brl.blitz/eachin.htm#EachIn
Catch|/hotdocs/brl.blitz/catch.htm#Catch

Results - these commands now gave help in BLIde, and the help was the HotDocs version.
It looks like (guessing here) BLIde only uses commands.txt for those commands that are in blitz.mod, and it expects those to have anchors that are the same as the commands themselves. Since HotDocs doesn't provide anchors that are the same as the command names, BLIde doesn't find them.

After doing that testing I went ahead and reverted back to the hotdocs_demo_v120.exe and hotdocs_full_v120.exe.

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi!
BLIde hasn't been tested on non-official commands.txt I would appreciate a lot if you could send me your commands.txt (modified) to solve this parsing bug with BLIde. A new BLIde version is about to be released this week, with some changes in the debug engine (now binary compatibility restored to work with BlitzMax 1.14), a little expression evaluator, and some little bug fixing. I would like to solve this parsing bug in that version also.

Here you have my email: supermanel*at*menta*dot*net

Thanks in advance,

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#6]
ziggy - just download demo-version of hotdocs - it create all files (but 50% "empty")

i think this is more a problem with blide. I have not installed NET, so that i cant use blide...

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#7]
I sent Manel the commands.txt from the registered version of hotdocs. Hopefully that's not a problem?

Changing commands.txt for the blitz.mod entries also gives an immediate response in BLIde (you don't have to close and reload), so it's reading the commands.txt after you push F1.

Mark.

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Yes, it's read when you push F1, there's no need to have all this information allocated in memory. This information is very fast to be read.
Does this problem happen with BLIde 0.5.4?

NoBoDo(Posted 2005) [#9]
The .5.4 update corrects the problem. On top of that, it now pulls the hotdocs help, which is really great.

Thanks to both of you for the quick response and fix; that is terrific customer support!

I recommend to others to try this combo out; BLIde with Hotdocs. Both are excellent; now they really complement each other as well.

Mark.