Mac Compilation

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mac Compilation

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am somewhat innert when it comes to Apple Mac's, I havn't touched one since OSX was in Beta and even then I wasn't programming them. I've just taken delivery of an iMac and i'm trying to compile my game which works fine on the PC. I get the following in my output window:

Building SC5
Unable to create application directory
Process complete

I've tried putting the game folder on the desktop, on the hard disk route, and inside the BMax folder (within Applications) and all return this error.

I'm not sure what it is trying to tell me, does anyone know what this error means please?

EDIT: I think it's missing the developer tools install, which means i've wasted your time posting a newbie question ! :) sowwy...

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#2]
:( I don't appear to have OSX disk 3 with my iMac so I can't install the X-tools. *cry*

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
I believe you can download them from the apple site

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thank you for the lead, but it's to no avail. So much for the "easy" platform, this thing has more version incompatabilities than Windows with a dual install.

I can only download XCode 2.2 from the Apple site, they seem to have removed XCode 2.1. XCode 2.2 requires OSX 10.4, I have OSX 10.3.1 which means I need XCode 2.1 :(. As it is a ~600mb download nobody else [google search] hosts the file.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, I should post on forums more often, as soon as I do it I find what i've spent hours looking for...

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
might be a good idea to post your solution so that if anyone else has the same problem, they know how to solve it.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm going to be hours downloading the right version of XCode for my OS, only then will I know if I need to throw the iMac out of the window. I'll say one thing about these things, combining the monitor and the base unit into 1 device will make it much easier to drop kick.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'll say one thing about these things, combining the monitor and the base unit into 1 device will make it much easier to drop kick.
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window" - Steve Wozniak, inventor of the Apple personal computer.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#8]
I dont trust the one that I can. I just finished downloading XCode 2.1, and then found that required OSX 10.4 aswell. Thank you very much to the misleading web page I googled earlier, i'm now downloading XCode 1.5 after checking Apple's own documentation which says that version supports OSX 10.3. Now I just need to hope it works with the 10.3.1 I have and not 10.3.9 or something like that...

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#9]
10.3.9 is a free upgrade. you should see it in software update if you open it from the apple menu in the top left corner, along with any other updates you might need.

cheers
charlie

Valkilos(Posted 2005) [#10]
Any luck? I'm having the same problem with XCode 1.5 properly installed, and code that is confirmed to compile on a PC. Oddly enough, the samples included with BlitzMax compile fine, so I believe there may be something specific to my code that's going wrong.

Valkilos(Posted 2005) [#11]
Er... I found my problem. After copying the directory with my source files from the CD to the hard drive, the copied directory was marked as read-only (just like the original on the CD). Unmarking the directory, or a simple save-as in a different directory, will fix the problem.

Me = Mac Newbie

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#12]
I was just about to say that, sorry I missed the post at the time as I dont check her daily yet (i'm just an ocassional demo user atm at least until after xmas).

I found copying over network to the Mac also set the permissions up badly. In fact today I found copying another Mac users hard disk to a temporary folder on my system messed up all of my permissions on my route structure, for no reason at all, and I had to reinstall completely.

OSX is absolutely aweful and very definately the worst thing Apple ever did, it's trying too hard to be Windows now.

Do you realise that executables files you see are actually folders, the Mac .exe is in reality folder structure but it's hidden from you (you get "show package contents" from the gear icon in Finder).

The whole permissions thing is aweful because if any folder starts with a period symbol it's invisible to the OS, this effects BMax programs when you copy folders from PC to Mac so make sure you dont copy over your .bmax folder over from the PC because of course the permissions will not be set up correctly and it's a totally invisible folder, you wont be able to change the permissions because you cannot see and click on the folder to edit it, and consequently BMax wont compile (and sadly the error message is obscure).

The only solution when you make this error is to make a new folder and delete the original one you copied over, and dont use "select all" from the copy menu because I think that selects the invisible folder to copy, you want to drag select the visible contents to the new folder and compile from there. (dont forget to close and reopen the source code file in BMAX).

I think the "correct" PC-esque solution would be to open Darwin up (the Mac CLI [version of MS-DOS]) but as it's Unix based I havn't a clue of the commands.

Bloody aweful machine.

Lordfire(Posted 2005) [#13]
Hi Banshee,
I don't see how coping another users HD to your mac could muck things up. I've done that several times with several different versions of Mac OS X since the public beta way back in 99 and I've never had my root structure mucked up.

As for Mac OS X being to much like Windows I won't comment.

With Mac applications ".exe" being folders that has been known for a long time. In fact even in Mac OS System 1 - 9 applications were 2 parts, the resources and binary. They appeared to the user as a single file but were in reality 2. You could edit the resources but you had to use a special app such as ResEdit or Resourcer. I tend to think have all of my applications resources and frameworks in one folder which appears to end users as a single file is much better then having DLLs in 2 or 3 different places and having my other resources in open directorys were users can play with 'em. Makes it very easy to install or delete apps without worring about cruff hidden away in \windows\system or some such crap Windows does.

To help with losing folders, open up the terminal application and you will be able to access everything via that. You can change permissions/rename folders etc via the command line. Mac OS X is based on BSD unix. chmod will let you change permissions and I think from memory ren will let you rename items. The ls command = dir.

I'm sure if you don't like the computer someone would buy it from you on eBay.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#14]
The HD mucked up when I was doing a target disk mode transfer from a laptop, it set the folder as bootable, thus removing the boot permissions/flag or whatever it uses from the HD... Which was a rather poor show I thought.

I will be persevering with the Mac because of my job, but that doesn't mean I preffer working on them. I've got both side by side here and i'm typing on the PC...