Can I make 3d games with Blitzmax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Can I make 3d games with Blitzmax?

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi there!

I have a general question on Blitzmax programming.

Can I make a 3d game with Blitzmax with collisions at the moment, that is cross-platform, without programming raw OpenGL stuff?

E.g, is Irrlicht complete and crossplatform, are there other options a.t.m?

Thank you.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#2]
Dunno about Irrlicht / 3Impact, but with standard modules, the answer is no.

Shagwana(Posted 2005) [#3]
I beg to differ, if you know you stuff with opengl then the answer would be yes!

Sean Doherty(Posted 2005) [#4]
Actually, the question was without programming raw OpenGL stuff? You cannot write a 3D game in BlitzMax within the confines of the language. However, the BlitzMax languages does expose other API's such as OpenGL.

I would wait for the 3D Module...

Shagwana(Posted 2005) [#5]
That will teach me to do selective reading of the question!. Mind you you can still make a 3d game if you know your stuff about 3d games (maths) using simple lines and filled polygons! :o). Of course it wont be any good compared to todays modern games!

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#6]
3Impact is Windows only. Not sure about Irrlicht's Mac port. Early days, I guess.

Will(Posted 2005) [#7]
I hope max3d comes out soon.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#8]
Sigh. I'll have to be patient then. I seriously doubt that the 3d module will be out within 6 months, I guess this is quite a complex module to write, especially for three platforms.

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'm seriously hoping that Max's 3D module release will be inside of six months! The ETA six months ago was six months. :) Mark has since said that it'll be after this end of this year, but it'd be really nice if it were in the first quarter of next year. That'd put it four months after the GUI release, which is what it was estimated at six months ago.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#10]
I seriously doubt it, but hey, I hope it'll be there soon too! Nice projects coming up, clients love crossplatform products!

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#11]
Don't give up guys, this year still is not over.

Maybe Mark can offer us a nice xmas present?!? :)

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#12]
I think you should wait for the Max3D module, which should wrap up collisions (via ODE), model import/export and other minutae so you can get on with programming the game, not the underpinnings of the game.

regardless of when Max3D comes out there is alot you can do in preparation:

1. design your project on paper. create a game design document

2. create your art assets (meshes, textures, music, etc)

3. really work out (via flow charts, UML, crayons on napkins...whatever) the unique concept your game will possess.

designing a good 'pipeline' is good, too.

what 3d format will you use. what modeller?
will you create a model in milkshape, texture it in Unwrap3d and animate it in 3DSMAX?

what is a "level" in your game? will your game even have "levels"? will you need to create a game editor for your project (answer:probably)

by the time MAX3D is out, you could be the first kid on your block with a finished project

here is my best advice:

Think small.

a finished pac-man clone is better than an unfinished "Half-life 2" beater. remember that it took several years, millions of dollars and 10+ PROFESSIONAL, PAID Programmers to make the AAA titles that are out now, so be realistic and have fun!

puki(Posted 2005) [#13]
Maybe Mark can offer us a nice xmas present?!? :)

Mmm, I might wrap-up my boxed version of Blitz3D and leave it under the Christmas tree - might do a spot of 3D stuff on Christmas day.

I'll be having it Large with B3D, whilst you lot enjoy 'the turkey'.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#14]
Can I make 3d games with Blitzmax?

Well... I sure can't, but technically BlitzMax can if you do stuff directly in OpenGL... Most people would wait for the official 3D module to be released though, since that 'should' be a lot easier than trying to invent the wheel yourself in OpenGL.

Me, I'll just stick with plain ol' 2D.

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#15]
I was messing about with OpenGL but I've decided to just wait for the Max3D module also. It takes as long as it takes.

My only concern is I seriously hope that when you parent an object to the camera and you move more than 10,000 units from 0 that the parented object doesn't start shaking. If it does I'm probably gonna have an aneurism and throw the towel in. But from what I've read this shouldn't be the case. It seems in OpenGL that the camera never moves from 0,0,0 and everything else is tranformed instead. Hope I have that right.

In my flight sim, 1 unit = 1 meter. And since 10 miles = roughly 16000 meters (16000 units)...it's no fun if you can only fly in a 5 mile radius. Plus, when you're in a jet fighter flying 500mph+ then you'd be in a constant turn hehe.