Icon - Exe creator

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Icon - Exe creator

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi!
The first blide Add-on is out.It enables the integration of one ICO file to a EXE file, when you compile your application. Now, BlitzMax application can have the icon of your choice.

you can find the application here: http://www.blide.org/nueva/addons.htm

This is not a free application, but all the benefits will be used to support all BLIde related stuff development.

Hope you find it usefull.

[EDIT]

To clarify:

BLIde is a free IDE for BlitzMax, It's free and it'll be free for ever and ever. You don't have to pay anything to use it. Then' there's BLIde Professional Publisher. This application, in combination with BLIde, the BlitzMax compiler and the MinGW, enables the integration of icons in your blitzMax application. they're different applications. So on application is free (BLIde) , the other one isn't (BLIde Professional Publisher).

BLIde: Integrated devolpment environment for BlitzMax (FREE APPLICATION) http://www.blide.org

BLIde Professional Publisher: This application enables the addition of icons to your BlitzMax games or applications. This application is not free. why it isn't not free? Becouse of the amount of time I've dedicated to it, and becouse I'm thinking of adding it very interesting features that will not let me work in my regular work (and I have a life, and I have to pay a house, eat every day, etc.) :D http://www.blide.org/nueva/addons.htm

MadMax(Posted 2005) [#2]
A free application you have to buy, hmm Maybe this flu is eating my brain cells. At least that would explain the huge amount of handkies I've used up.

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#3]
Double post.

Qweeg(Posted 2005) [#4]
Manel - is this still going to be free to people who donated €20 for BLIde?

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yes, of course!! if you're a donator, just email me to get a free license!!

And, please, don't see this as as 'BLIde becoming a pay application' you can continue using and updating BLIde for free, and this won't change.

Just this absolutely optional Add-on is a pay-application

MadMax(Posted 2005) [#6]
OK, Thanks for clarifying. Nice work.

popcade(Posted 2005) [#7]
I add ICONs to BMax exe with ResHacker, seems to work.
Don't know if there's any difference with BLide Plugin?

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2005) [#8]
Yeah, I don't really see why this would've taken so much work as to justify charging for it? It's pretty easy to do manually, once you know the right tools.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yeah, I don't really see why this would've taken so much work as to justify charging for it?
Don't want it, don't buy it. Just keep using BLIde for free.

It's pretty easy to do manually, once you know the right tools.
What's the problem then?

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#10]
@denzilquixode:

The release pack (not the current one) will include:

-Compression for the EXE file (the file will be itself a EXE of a smaller size, decompressed 'on the fly' (10 megs per second at start-up on a old Pentium 133 Mhz computer) Optional and configurable.

-A library with lots of icons free to use (composed ICO of 16, 32 and 48 pixels of size to ensure good preview on all windows sizes)

-A Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro plug-in that will let you save as ICO file, preserving alpha channel.

This are the additions I'm working on now, and this are the additions that are making me spend a lot of time with this. they're not in the previous alpha release, but will be on next release.

There will be also a demo version

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#11]

Yeah, I don't really see why this would've taken so much work as to justify charging for it? It's pretty easy to do manually, once you know the right tools.

You shouldn't think of this tiny Add-on, which work was so hard to do , but maybe think about the time Ziggy has needed to make this great IDE. As soon as I have time (next week or so) I will buy this add-on, not because I didn't know other ways to do it, just to honor the work Ziggy has done so far.

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2005) [#12]
What's the problem then?

No problem, I was just confused as to why such a thing would be so much work. Anyway, ziggy's filled me in. Sounds pretty good.

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#13]
@voxola:
ResHacker modifies the EXE file generatedf by the compiler while BLide Professional Publisher compiles the ICO file to a binary resource and links it in the EXE creation process, as any other professional compiler does. The final result may be the same, but the process done by ResHacker may damage the executable, if it's not propperly done.

popcade(Posted 2005) [#14]
ResHacker didn't damage any of my Executable yet, I made many test and it's OK.

I don't care how "professional" ResHacker is, it's a "WORKING" methos for me.

Furthermore I have MoleBox Pro which works with BMax exe (and other exes), it also works with ResHacker.

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#15]
I just say that the process made by ResHacker can damage the EXE files if it's not well done. In the other hand. I'm sure ResHacker does its process well

Sveinung(Posted 2005) [#16]
Check out www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53505

Look at the post from d:bug
Works like a charm...

Sveinung

d-bug(Posted 2005) [#17]
Glad to see that you liked it ;)

Sean Doherty(Posted 2005) [#18]
Good Job ziggy,

Just a though: As you write add-ins, you may want to think about incorporating them into a Professional version of Blide. You could charge for the Professional Version of and give away the version without add-ins?

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#19]
The thing is:
1) BLIde always free
2) Add-ins (or Add-ons??? which is correct) every one of them will be free or not depending if there's a 'maintenace' needed or not. If anyone of them deoesn't use copyrighted algorithms, it will be open source.

I'm working in a front-end description file, that will let any EXE act as a add-on for BLIde, it will be like a calling convention. so anyone will be able to make his or her own add-ons. But this will be on Blide 0.6.0

9572AD(Posted 2006) [#20]
A Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro plug-in that will let you save as ICO file, preserving alpha channel.

I'd buy that.

ziggy(Posted 2006) [#21]
Well, the first version with the photoshop and pain shop pro plugin is out. check it at http://www.blide.org/nueva/addons.htm