MAXGui: Creating Columns

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MAXGui: Creating Columns

Ziltch(Posted 2005) [#1]
I love the new GUI commands , but can not figure out how to make a Gadget that can display columns.

Am I missing something or can it not be done?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#2]
Not possible I'm afraid. The current listbox only allows a simple list in a single column. This is the one gadget that is REALLY needed for MaxGui, as a lot of real GUI apps will need lists with columns.

Equally, a "grid" type control (like excel) with loads of control over formatting would be very handy too, although that would probably be a lot more work, and harder to implement in a platform independent way.

Ziltch(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks, for the info.
I am quite suprised! It is required in most of the progs I write.
I guess I will have to look into a Win API method. I can recall seeing how people have added extra gadgets to PureBasic. I will try and do the same in BlitzMax.

Nelvin(Posted 2005) [#4]
I used to write tools using wxPython but due to some performance limits in numbercrunching I'd like to switch the language for these but still keep it very easy portable - so MaxGui would be a good choice. Bought it on release but at the moment I can't us it without a flexible grid :-(

I'd be happy to pay another 25$ just for some advanced additional gadget types - a flexible grid would IMO be one of the more important ones. Richedit, Scintilla etc. - I think there's even room for a commercial 3rd party MaxGui extension.

The wxWidget controls would be a nice reference for future additions in genereal. Are there any official updates supporting additonal controls planned?

Tom(Posted 2005) [#5]
Everything in Max is across the board remember, so maybe this functionality isn't in libs that the Mac and/or Linux GUI uses?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#6]
A list with columns is standard stuff that all platforms will support. I can understand why it's not there - yet - but it does need to be added. I did consider having a rummage in the source to create a win32 version, but wouldn't know where to start on the linux / mac bits.

Ziltch(Posted 2005) [#7]
i have got Columns working!

Code in Mods section.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53343