MDI???

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MDI???

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there a way to add in a MDI function or something?? I thought I saw something about it, but I don't see any post on it anymore, can someone please provide me with more info??

ozak(Posted 2005) [#2]
Can't we just let MDI die in peace? ;)

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#3]
NO!!!!!!, must have MDI :P

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#4]
what is MDI?

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'm guessing he means http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface (windows inside windows, essentially)

REDi(Posted 2005) [#6]
I think its basically a gadget that can contain one or more child windows. (think photoshop/paintshop)

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yes excately thats what it is :P

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#8]
oh.. die mdi die!

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#9]
We need mdi. Along with native gdi etc win drawing for fx that can't be done on a gl canvas.

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#10]
why not uses a tabber like the max gui does - or am I missing somthing doesnt that interface have multiple documents?....

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#11]
It's not just for documents, also for little floating menus, like indeed photosoup, and countless other things..

I dunno for sure, but I can even imagine making popupmenus, pulldownmenus and other overlaying gadgets with MDI.. (is this right? :P)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#12]
popupmenus don't need MDI.

Even M$ are moving away from MDI (separate windows per doc in Word & Excel by default, although you can revert to MDI).

MDI is evil. It should die.

But most of all, I don't think it's cross-platform - maybe Mac, but I don't recall seeing any Linux based MDI apps. And if it can't be cross-platform, I don't think you'll ever see it in an official core module.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#13]
How could you code a pulldownmenu/listbox and other things that 'overlay' your app without creating a real new window? (I mean: custom GUI, not using the built-in) Or think of some catchy MDI window which can be expanded with some kinda subwindow:

(down in the middle is one window with a dark strip at the side which can be pulled-out for more options)

I'm not talking about resizing the window, as I'm talking non-square 'expanding' here..

I'd figured that each expansion is a new MDI window.. so that it moves along when you drag the mainwindow around + it overlays the stuff in the back.

KamaShin(Posted 2005) [#14]
and why on earth would you use BlitzMax to make an app that would need this kind of stuff??? BMax is intended for making app revovling around graphics/game... if you want to make anything else you d better use something like VB or VC++ or whatever developpment environnment you like better suited for this...
Things as I see them are like that: BMax needs a GUI so that we can put a Gl context declared with Graphics(Widht,Height,Colors,Hertz) attached in a canvas, in a window, with buttons next to it, and maybe other windows with fields and buttons and such just to make things like map editor or tools for games...
the game itself shouldn't even need the gui...
and if you need complicated stuff for making apps like the one you re showing in your screencap, as I said before, use another environnment...
(oh by the way, hope my post didn't look too offensive, I was just giving my opinion :) and I don't speack english too well)

KamaShin(Posted 2005) [#15]
and by the way, MDI has NEVER been part of the Mac env and was never missed on this platform, nor has it been on linux... And as Mark Tiffany said, it wouldn't be compatible so forget it and try to figure out another way of doing what you want without MDI :)
cheers, it's the challenge that's appealing to the coders... Easy coding is just plain boring :)

skn3(Posted 2005) [#16]
Kamashin you are wrong, blitzmax is aimed at a general market. Not just games orientated applications.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#17]
I want to try that with bmax because I don't think I like VB much, and c++ is not really an option. Blitzplus is quite the right tool for me.. now max + gui means I've B+ with OO and some other stuff. For the time being I'd like to stick to the Blitz familly.

Regardless of that, I'd say "don't limit a language to games-only", regardless of what seems logical/illogical, I like to do apps with Blitz!

KamaShin(Posted 2005) [#18]
well ok, but as I said then, try doing your things without relying on MDI then :)
(not that personnaly I really care about wether MDI is supported or not, lol, I just said all that for my love for arguing :) )
if you don't like VB but like BMax, you might want to look at RealBasic then (not willing to advert in anyway, it s just that I come to love BlitzMax cause I found it was ressembling RealBasic except for the fact that graphisms were 5 times faster... but for making other kind off apps than graphics oriented one I still think RealBasci rules in term of speed of developpment) :)

Kanati(Posted 2005) [#19]
MDI is still prevalent in windows and it's something that should be supported by a language that utilizes the windows UI. BMax is a generalized language and as such it should support the full gui set of the operating system. Otherwise it will wind up like purebasic and <shudder> blitz+ and just be considered another half-baked product. Purebasic at one point didn't even have scroll bars. Though Fred has done an admirable job in adding more controls over the last couple years.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#20]
and why on earth would you use BlitzMax to make an app that would need this kind of stuff??? BMax is intended for making app revovling around graphics/game...

Hammer uses MDI windows. To be taken seriously, BMAX should support everything. I can't show it to VB users I know yet, because I know the first thing they would say is "well, it doesn't support this".

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#21]
WOW,

I have open a can lol... anyways Im looking for MDI for use in my editors for my games, I like to have one main window with all its own commands and file menus, but on the other hand I would like to have a few windows for other content with in the parent window without it being free floating around the OS and not locked within the orignal window.. I have tried making a MDI gadget out of panels it works good, but testing on Linux it works, but shows to be a bit buggy also :(, I would like to see what Mark could produce in the ways of MDI.. ALso I don't see how MDI couldn't be supported with MAC OS, because mac uses photoshop which im sure has a inbedded window of some sort with in a main app window.

ANyways I looking for something where I can contain all my windows and content into one solid app, not something where you have to break it apart and have serval @#!* windows wondering around.. if you get what I mean.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#22]
indeed! agree!

MDI might not come in handy for every app out there, SDI also might not, and TDI also might not. There's a suitable xDI for every app..

I also tend to use TDI without visual tabs, just complete fullscreen panels that cycle upon a keypress..

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#23]
What would MDI help for half the things mentioned here?

MDI gives you a window INSIDE the main window ... you can't move it outside the window like Photoshop does for example, it would just be clipped at the border, nor can you do half the other stuff mentioned here which is a different kind of gadget as well.

For most of this stuff, creating multiple windows is the way to go.

ozak(Posted 2005) [#24]
Tabbed windows is far superior. MDI is old and dying. May it rest in peace :)