Minimum Game Specification Issue

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Minimum Game Specification Issue

Sean Doherty(Posted 2005) [#1]
One of my test users has a machine with the following specifications:

W2K
P3 800
512 meg ram
Trident 16meg video card

This machine seems like something that I need to support, however, this machine is 12 FPS on the lastest build. In the latest release I added a fair amount of graphics enhancements. Although, previously this machine was only getting 24 FPS.

It is important to note that the machine is a laptop running Windows 2000. So my question is the following:

Is there anything in the profile of this machine that one could argue should not be supported? If so what?

Thanks

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#2]
The video card sounds poopy probably non "proper" 3D, just with some basic 3D support.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#3]
I test our games on an old P3-600 with 128Mb and a 32MB Matrox G400, the motherboard allows me to clock down to 300Mhz so it's really scaleable - its running 98SE.

If I was getting 12FPS when running at 300Mhz I'd be seriously concerned, the fact that you are getting 12Fps on that laptop would worry the hell out of me.

I've posted some modules on this forum which would give you a massive 45% speed increase if you use a lot of animated (multi frame) images. There are lots of other tweaks like limiting the number of texture changes etc.

Sean Doherty(Posted 2005) [#4]
Tim,

Is it is the code archive? Where?

Thanks

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#5]
Here ya go. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=52893

Re-compiled today for 1.12 and works fine in opengl and directx

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#6]
Is there anything in the profile of this machine that one could argue should not be supported?
Yeah, the Trident 16meg video card. The problem is the video card, or in this case the video chip. Trident cards and mobo chips are notorious problem makers. With proper drivers, they will usually run fullscreen DirectDraw somewhat slow, but they choke on Windowed DirectDraw. They will also usually choke on anything using OpenGL or Direct3D in Windowed mode and CRAWL in fullscreen mode. It doesn't hurt to make sure your tester has updated drivers, but BMax will usually crawl with POS mobo chips like Trident, SiS, Savage, Intel, etc.

It really needs a real video card for best performance. But, this is no different than any 3D app or game you would buy. A 3D card is usually the first requirement. I have tested BMax stuff on cheapo $20 TNTs, $40 GeForces, and cheapo Radeons and not had any troubles at all.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#7]
A 3D card is usually the first requirement.

Exactly. There has come a time where indie developers have to take the same stance AAA titles did 10 years ago : -specify- '3D accelerated video card' on the virtual box. Trident is not 3D accelerated, it is software driven 3D.

Try playing any game of the last 5 years in a true software rendered 3D mode and you still won't get anything running above 640x480 very smoothly.

Also, add detail settings to your game. Minimal detail setting should only show the graphics that are 100% necessary to play the game. Any eye candy is higher detail settings only...

ozak(Posted 2005) [#8]
Damn. I thought the trident cards where all but gone? They could do textured triangles very slowly, and they had a z-buffer but that was all. Not recommended for 3D :)

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#9]
Not recommended for 3D :)
What do you mean "for 3D". Not recommended AT ALL! I don't think someone who owns (much less uses) an 8 year old laptop, expects to play many games. At all. Ever.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#10]
No no, I've first hand knowledge at this, they are quite acceptable for 2D performance. Savages are good for 2D as well. Slightly better for 3D, but still not up to it.