Duplicate Identifier Error?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Duplicate Identifier Error?

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a method with three Eachin loops. Each looping from the same list, something like this:

If A > B

For Local Client:TNetClient = EachIn ClientList
..Do stuff
Next

Else

For Local Client:TNetClient = EachIn ClientList
..Do stuff
Next

Endif
But when I compile with 1.12 I receive an compile error: Duplicate identifier Client. I tought the scope of a local in For-Next ends at Next. Has this changed in anyway? Why? How?

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#2]
I was going to add some blurb about those variables being local to the If/Endif rather than the For/Next which is why they are duplicate but then I realise it works for me as it is.
Strict
Global testlist:tlist=CreateList()
Type test
  Field x:Int
  Field y:Int
End Type
Local my:test = New test
my.x = 999
my.y = 111
ListAddLast(testlist, my)
Local hello:Int=0
If hello
  For Local client:test= EachIn testlist
    Print client.x
  Next
Else
  For Local client:test= EachIn testlist
    Print client.y
  Next
EndIf

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#3]
Your above example (and a test of mine) works fine. Something have to have changed because this was not a problem before and I haven't changed the code since the update..

I just can't get where the error comes from.. or more like, why it comes from the above..

And this is not just the case with one method, it's with every method that has for loops which initiate locals.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#4]
Is it possible 'client' is used in another module somewhere which is imported into your code?
If you change them to WAVE_CLIENT does it work OK?
I spent hours last night recompiling, correcting, changing, adding, deleting etc. In fact TNET.mod was one of those I moved because I was getting errors but I
was too tired to check further.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#5]
It seems highlight likely that a variable name like client has already been used.

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#6]
I agree, yet that is not the case and this is extremly strange. Yet I tried to change both to Wave_Client and the duplicate identifier compile error appears at that local varaible "Wave_Client". It works if I change it to Client1, Client2. But that would mean a new way of coding if locals is considered duplicate in the same scope. Remember this worked without problem before. When I fix a couple the next appears, so it seems it aplies to all methods that has locals. In other words I would guess locals and now local to the method/function they are in and not their loop/endif scope.

This have to be a bug then, I'm submitting it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
Strict seems to allow it, remove strict and it throws the error.

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#8]
-Solved-

Ah.. Though why did it change in 1.12?

Anyhow it works now, I wasn't aware that I wans't using strict..!?

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#9]
Ge Ze! You can never guess.. The problem was me compiling the ******* wrong file. OMG! Lol!