BlitzMax vs Blitz3d

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax vs Blitz3d

Blitzed090604(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ok Guys,

I've used Blitz3d to dabble in the art of 3d programming for a while now with Blitz3D. I'm about to embark on my first full fledged serious attempt at a 3d game. I haven't totally fleshed it out yet, as I'd like to save that for when I've decided on the development environment to use, whether Blitz3D or BlitzMax.

I am well aware that BlitzMax does its' 3D via OpenGL (which should allow for shader support and cross platform support, right?) but does it have any other features that I should consider over Blitz3D? I've not found a simple accessible document that contrasts the two tools.

What I'd like to hear, is pros and cons of Blitz3D vs BlitzMax. In other words, what's the difference?

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2005) [#2]
Currently, doing 3D in BlitzMax is only possible through raw OpenGL commands. A 3D module that will provide Blitz3D-like simplicity on top of this will not be available for quite some time, and we have very few details on exactly what it will be like yet.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#3]
Blitz3D provides an API abstraction for making 3D games, including (ammoungst other things) a collision engine. BlitzMAX does not currently, or likely in the near future, provide such functionality, although it does expose low-level OpenGL functionality.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#4]
blitzMax is the way of the future. Blitz3D has reached the tops of its possiblities. However, it still is a stable language that has proven itself so if I were you I'd use it "to the max" until the 3d module of Blitzmax is out.
I never tried Irrlicht, but I heared its a pretty good 3d wrapper for Bmax.

Haramanai(Posted 2005) [#5]
Irrlicht is the current way for 3d with BMax. The wrapper have no problems at all. You just have to look thru the code to see the difference bitween the original and the wrapper. Gman created and docs for it but I haven't seen them wet cause I am enought used to the wrapper. And yes , irrlicht it's really good.
I haven't used Blitz3d but just with the Object Oriented feture BMax it's far better than Blitz3d.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#6]
Gman created and docs for it but I haven't seen them wet

I don't wanna know what the Gman gets up to.