how powerful would a blitzmax network server be?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/how powerful would a blitzmax network server be?

cis4life(Posted 2005) [#1]
Im looking into possibly building a game with blitzmax (to build the server) and the game in blitz3d. My question is...

How powerful is blitzmax network programming wise. ive been reading books on network programming and many speak about the server software needing to be multi-threaded and so forth? How well equipped is blitzmax for building a multi user server? With a good server (hardware and bandwidth wise) how many connections do you think it could handle (non doom or quake type game. Moreless chatting, walking and so forth)?

Or just any more info you can give me about network programming with blitzmax and blitz3D

Thanks,
Cedric

Eikon(Posted 2005) [#2]
My suggestion is to use this:
Link

You shouldn't have any problems

cis4life(Posted 2005) [#3]
That link sends me to a page that says...

ERROR:Internal error

? Is there another link

Thanks,
Cedric

Eikon(Posted 2005) [#4]
http://vertex.art-fx.org/bnet.zip

cis4life(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks,

If you can, please give me so more information about this. Like, how well does blitz handle networking. Like how many connections has been tested without crashing and so forth?

Again, thanks for the info thus far,

Cedric

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#6]
Try that link again above.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#7]
How powerful is blitzmax network programming wise.
It has everything you should need for socket programming.

ive been reading books on network programming and many speak about the server software needing to be multi-threaded and so forth?
It only needs to be multithreaded if you're running it on a multiple processor machine.

As for the number of connections it can handle, that's really up to the hardware. Most significant factors here are bandwidth and CPU speed.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#8]
How powerfull: restricted due to its single process behavior ...

Warpy(Posted 2005) [#9]
it might not need to be multithreaded but it'd certainly help...
Anyway, bmax should easily handle a game. It's only stooper-popular web services you need to worry about.

Vertex(Posted 2005) [#10]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=50723 This is the better way as BNet :)

Actually, I program on a big udp game server with BNetEx and BMax. You don't need realy multithreading, when you have 50 users for example. But you need a good oop conecpt!

cu olli