EXE from an EXE

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/EXE from an EXE

daaan(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is it possible to make an executable from an executable. If I wanted to make a first person shooter maker(or some other genre) and I wanted the user to be able to make a exe of their game, how would I do that? Is it possible?

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#2]
Is it possible?
Yes.
how would I do that?
There are two ways:

a) Use a compiler.
b) Use an interpreter (scripting).

By far the least technical of the two would be to use some form of scripting. Many commercial FPS engines (Unreal and Source for example) use a scripting language like Lua or Python as the interface between the game itself, and the underlying engine.

Since BlitzMAX already has built-in Lua support, there's no prize for guessing which scripting language I think would be most sensible.

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well, FlameDuck already covered that, so I just need to spew this filth:

Python is evil and its C interface (that thing you'll have to work with to actually use it in a program) is horrible. So using Lua would be far more advantageous.

daaan(Posted 2005) [#4]
Do either of you recommend some reading on Lua in BMAX?

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
My tutorial.
http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php/Introduction_to_Lua

Another fellow's tutorial, which covers less of Lua and more of a different module that uses Lua. I'd advise reading mine first since it covers the actual usage of Lua and not a wrapper.
http://www.blitzwiki.org/index.php/Lua_Tutorial

nawi(Posted 2005) [#6]
Make the interpreter to read the source from the end of the exe. You can safely write anything to the end of executables, and then in realtime read and interpret it.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#7]
In addition to what is mentioned above, there are several books on LUA available via Amazon and perhaps your local bookstore if they have a decent computer section.

I also really recommend the book, Game Scripting Mastery. It details very well how to implement scripting into your game or engine, and it has a section on LUA, as well.

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
I second Brice's second suggestion. Game Scripting Mastery is a very good book.