Variable to Irrlicht shader?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Variable to Irrlicht shader?

Jan_(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hiho, how can i send a variable to a Shader in Irrlicht,
at Time I use Hlsl shader, but i don't found out, how i can send a variable to them, without a variable, shaders are not so powerfull.

gman(Posted 2005) [#2]
greetings Jan_ :) im far from an expert but check out the Shaders demo if you havent already. i believe you need to extend the T_irrIShaderConstantSetCallback type and implement the OnSetConstants() method. i think the command to set the variables you are looking for is setVertexShaderConstant(). in gg.IrrBMAX this translates into setVertexShaderConstantFromName() and setVertexShaderConstant() and they reside in T_irrIMaterialRendererServices. here is the section from the Irrlicht manual under IMaterialRendererServices.setVertexShaderConstant() (this is C++ code):

Sets a constant for the vertex shader based on a name. This can be used if you used a high level shader language like CG or HLSL to create a shader. Example: If you created a shader which has variables named 'mWorldViewProj' (containing the WorldViewProjection matrix) and another one named 'fTime' containing one float, you can set them in your IShaderConstantSetCallBack derived class like this:
            virtual void OnSetConstants(video::IMaterialRendererServices* services)
            {
                video::IVideoDriver* driver = services->getVideoDriver();

float time = (float)os::Timer::getTime()/100000.0f;
                services->setVertexShaderConstant("fTime", &time, 1);

core::matrix4 worldViewProj;
                worldViewProj = driver->getTransform(video::ETS_PROJECTION);                    
                worldViewProj *= driver->getTransform(video::ETS_VIEW);
                worldViewProj *= driver->getTransform(video::ETS_WORLD);
                services->setVertexShaderConstant("mWorldViewProj", worldViewProj.M, 16);
            }

Parameters:
name,: Name of the variable
floats,: Pointer to array of floats
count,: Amount of floats in array.

Returns:
: Returns true if successful.

hope i gave a direction to persue. the Shaders sample (available for download from my worklog) shows a gg.IrrBMAX implementation including the extended type and use of the setVertexShaderConstantFromName() method.

Jan_(Posted 2005) [#3]
Wow, it function 100 thx,

my first Watershader is now done :-)

gman(Posted 2005) [#4]
glad i could give you a direction :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#5]
can we see it J...

--Mike

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yeah Jan! Show us! Its always good to see success stories!

Jan_(Posted 2005) [#7]
jep, sure,

It's nothing greate,
it looks like water in Unreal1 :-)

http://www.blitz-pasting.net/uploads/useruploads/LZKoJ17181605548567_water1.zip

it's 2.3 MB,
with Irrlciht Dll's & source

gman(Posted 2005) [#8]

It's nothing greate,
it looks like water in Unreal1 :-)

great job! thx for sharing :)