FTP Client in BMax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/FTP Client in BMax?

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#1]
How much trouble would it be to program a ftp client so that I can upload and dowload files via ftp?

Is it even possible in BMax?

Why is all ftp-clients soo slow?

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#2]
How much trouble would it be to program a ftp client so that I can upload and dowload files via ftp?

It shouldn't be, as long as you are familiar with writing network apps and use TCP (not UDP) so you know you don't lose packets

Is it even possible in BMax?

It can be done in any programming language that can communicate over TCP/IP

Why is all ftp-clients soo slow?

They aren't, you can download many megabytes a second if the network connection between your computer and the server is fast enough.

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks. This sounds better than I thought. I know TCP and Networking in BlitzMax. Where/How do I start with ftp? Any links?

Actually when I think about it, all ftp-clients aren't slow. But many are. It seems like they add some extra time when they establish the connection, request files and such. Ever tried Contribute?

ozak(Posted 2005) [#4]
Most FTP programs are as fast as your connection.
Unless those that made it are completely incapable of programming :)

MattVonFat(Posted 2005) [#5]
There was a site i used to get all the information about different web protocols but i sadly can't find it but this one looks promising:

http://cr.yp.to/ftp.html

And i also found this which doesn't look as good though:

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/comms/ftp.html

regaa(Posted 2005) [#6]
Here is the login:

Just change host, user and pass to your login.

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#7]
Nice regaa, I have to build on that. And Matt, thanks for the links, they are great! When we have GUI support..

When I try to log on to my ftp (With regaa's example) it says this:

220-FTP server ready.
220 This is a private system - No anonymous login

What can be the problem?

MattVonFat(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think that just means you have to have a username and password to logon.

Tibit(Posted 2005) [#9]
Of course =)
Now it's just for me to send commands, shoudn't be to hard to figure out. I never thought ftp was this easy..
Why do all these big compaines have such problems with it? That I don't get!?

VP(Posted 2005) [#10]
If you're looking for internet standards, you should probably Google for "RFC".

The protocols for IRC, HTTP, FTP, POP3, IMAP, SMTP etc etc ad infinitum... are all RFC's (request for comments) which are detailed documents of exactly what needs to be transferred between server and client for things to work.