Vis3D - BlitzMax 3D Engine

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Vis3D - BlitzMax 3D Engine

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well sadly I'm not going to continue working on this as I have too many other priorities such as school work and stuff like that. Since I am not working on this anymore I have decided to release it Public Domain so other people can learn from it.

Included in a zip is a file called Example.bmx. This showcases some of the more basic features of Vis3D. Vis3D also sports access to lower level stuff such as Vectors, Matrices, and Surfaces.

Some portions of code - especially the primitive portion in mesh.bmx was taken from '3D OpenGL Include' by Markus Rauch. I would like to thank him and 'Vertex' for inspiration in creating 3D engines.

Enjoy!

Links Dead Unfortunately :(

Filax(Posted 2005) [#2]
Nice job ! without module :) it's a good idea :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah, thanks for releasing it, Ledo.

Vertex(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hi!
Year good work! It is a good idea for example, to using effects like fog as an object. This make it simpler. (If I make a new engine, I will make it so too)...

The surfacesystem is not good. Your are using TList to chain the vertices, but TLists are very slow. Just use Arrays oder allocated memory blocks(I'am using Banks, but I will change it to MemAlloc). And there is a big overhead when you're using glBegin(Anything) ... vertices ... glEnd(). Per vertex you must push any data at first on the stack, than the driver must pop it down. Just using VertexArrays, Display Lists or VertexBufferObjects.

Keep up the good work!

cu olli

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks for the constructive comments. This is my first project using Blitzmax and OpenGL so I admit there were a few nasty hacks and implementations :( After I complete my school work I will probably take this up again and work some more on it.

splinux(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm studying it and trying to modify it.
At this point is too simple. I've added camera as first thing. I'm planning to make some meshes loading functions and collisions.

However, the first code is your, and i wanted to tell you i'm programming my engine based on that code.

If you would, i can continue the Vis3D engine, else i'll start a new one, learning from your code and applying that one of mine.

Please answer this post,
SpLinux

deps(Posted 2005) [#7]
I get a 404 when I click the link.

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
(Posted 1 month ago)

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#9]
And?
Is it regular behavior to take public domain meant stuff offline? ...

N(Posted 2005) [#10]
If it's not receiving traffic, I take it down to free up space. No sense in keeping stuff up if it's not doing anything.

If interest in it is generated, then it gets uploaded again. A simplified version of supply and demand, sort of.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#11]
hmm ok.
I missed the thread because of the "regular kind of" topic.

Although the whole thing seems some kind of counterlogic ... normally stuff is taken offline because it creates to much interest (-> traffic) :-)

daaan(Posted 2005) [#12]
I want to check this out. Can anyone who already downloaded it send it to me? Thanks.

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#13]
SpLinux: Yup you can use it how you wish. You can develop it under the original Name 'Vis3D' or you can change the name and continue working on it. You dont have to give me credit or anything, How you use it is entirely up to you :)

hmm ok.
I missed the thread because of the "regular kind of" topic.

Although the whole thing seems some kind of counterlogic ... normally stuff is taken offline because it creates to much interest (-> traffic) :-)

I took it down accidently, rather, I was cleaning out my site as I was reaching the limit on how much space I was allowed. I didnt bother to check what was in the sub-dirs and deleted it unfortunately. I no longer have a copy on my pc as it was 'killed' a while ago. Teaches me not to make backups I guess :(

N(Posted 2005) [#14]
If someone sends it to me I'll host a copy of it for as long as I can.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#15]
I could make you a mirror too. Have more than a GB of webspace and lots of traffic over.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#16]
Here we go...

Vis3D [22k]

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#17]
Wow- thanks for hosting it :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#18]
^_^ Do you plan updates ? for your 3D engine ?

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#19]
^_^ Do you plan updates ? for your 3D engine ?

I doubt it, since this thread started out with:
Well sadly I'm not going to continue working on this as I have too many other priorities such as school work and stuff like that. Since I am not working on this anymore I have decided to release it Public Domain so other people can learn from it.

Progi1984(Posted 2005) [#20]
Some ideas, Filax ? ;)

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#21]
noticed fog and light can be set an left without doing
them each loop like in the example

obvious but it might help someone...

nice clean code what I've seen so far

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#22]
Yeah, I noticed that also while checking it out a few minutes ago. Looking at it now I've actually suprised myself in how far I managed to come with just basic knowledge in BlitzMax and OpenGL. I did learn a fair bit from it, which I guess was the main idea for doing it.

filax: Unfortunatly with exams and stuff I wont be continuing it. I think SP Linux might have some plans on developing it further - which would be cool!

Chris C: Thnx- I tried to keep a consistent code structure but I admit there are a few places that are messy :)

splinux(Posted 2005) [#23]
^_^ : i mailed you a message.

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#24]
Thanks SPLinux, I just got it and have sent a reply to you :D

N(Posted 2005) [#25]
http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/Vis3D.zip

There, in case James goes nuts (and he probably will) and destroys everything in his path.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#26]
Mirror

As already offered, I host it as well :-)

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#27]
Thanks Noel and Dreamora, The More the Merrier!