SAS GUI - Another BMax GUI

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/SAS GUI - Another BMax GUI

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well it seems everyone is making a gui system these days so I thought I'd join in the fun. Here is a link to the work log with screen shots. Right now I have basic windowing, buttons, borders, scrollbars. The plan is to get it all working with the basic drawing commands and then add the ability to do the skin graphics. You will be able to use multiple fonts/font sizes at the same time. Change the font on a component by component basis if you want. You will be able to change the look and feel by simply changing a few values at startup or even during runtime.

http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=482

Current object diagram:
SASGUI_System (System globals, defaults and controller)

SASGUI_Color (Defines r,g,b components of a color value, Concrete)

SASGUI_Image (Handles images with/wihtout frames, Concrete)

SASGUI_Pointer (Handles drawing a mouse pointer, Concrete)

SASGUI_Component (Base type for all on screen interactive gadgets, Abstract)
|
+--SASGUI_Border (Handles drawing borders, Concrete)
|  |
|  +--SASGUI_Window (Base type for GUI windows, Concrete)
|  |
|  +--SASGUI_Button (Base type for GUI buttons, Concrete)
|  |
|  +--SASGUI_Scrollbar (Handles both vertical and horizontal scrollbars, Concrete)
|  |
|  +--SASGUI_Input (Handles text input, Concrete)
|

Hummelpups(Posted 2005) [#2]
The mousepointer picture is from iGlass. Shame on you ^^

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#3]
Read the post in the forum, I specifically noted (in bold) that it was from iGlass and that it isn't part of my GUI system.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#4]
:)

RiK(Posted 2005) [#5]
Have you got a specific reason for making your own GUI Scott, or is it just for fun? Just wondering as I know you've been a fan of iGlass so far so why re-invent the wheel?

skn3(Posted 2005) [#6]
dont listen to Rik, make your own :)

RiK(Posted 2005) [#7]
I wasn't saying he shouldn't do it, just wondering *why* he was choosing to make another GUI when he was already using an excellent one already.

Surely better to focus on actually getting the game done?

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#8]
Possibly He just wants experience, or wondered how iGlass worked and wanted to experiment with His theory's. Anyway, whats it got to do with your RiK?

N(Posted 2005) [#9]
Well, I can safely say your GUI is by far the ugliest I've ever seen, so I guess that makes it unique in a way.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#10]
constructive, Noel...

RiK(Posted 2005) [#11]
Anyway, whats it got to do with your RiK?

Easy tiger! I wasn't trying to criticise, just interested is all.

I Wondered if Scott has a very specific requirement not covered by other stuff of if he was just interested in GUI design.

It seemed a bit odd that Scott has been a big fan of Filax's excellent iGlass (hence all the iGlass threads) and was using it on his own projects then suddenly started making his own GUI instead. I figured therefore that there must be a specific reason why otherwise why would someone drop their other projects and build yet another GUI system instead?

Wasn't criticising, just interested is all!

N(Posted 2005) [#12]
constructive, Noel...

Tell me I'm wrong and keep a straight face while saying it. You know I'm right and you know it's ugly as all hell.

nawi(Posted 2005) [#13]
You say its ugly becose it has grey colors? Idiot..

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#14]

Well, I can safely say your GUI is by far the ugliest I've ever seen, so I guess that makes it unique in a way.

LOL! yeah it isn't exactly the most attractive thing in the world.

Have you got a specific reason for making your own GUI Scott

Mainly just wanted to see if I could do it the way I would like to see things implemented in iGlass. It also gives me an excuse to take a little break from QuestMaster. I don't plan on switching to mine for Quest Master but I might rewrite my map editor.

Everybody please try to stay civil. :) I don't want to be responsible for starting flame wars.

Okay, new screen shots are up and a zip you can download with windows and mac exes and full source. Still a lot to do but it is coming along.

http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=484#484

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#15]
I have to agree with Noel. That is uglier than a bag full of squished puppies. But thats my opinion (and apparently Noel's). As long as you are happy with it, thats all that matters. ;c)

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#16]
Well I guess that is the point of allowing it to be customized and skinned. I'm not an artist, I'm a coder. :)

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#17]
Hehe, same here. I suck at art.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#18]
Well I finished getting the bugs out of the input component last night, it works very well now with any font. I also got the minimize and maximize controls functioning on the windows. Decided I need to add an event system to notify the user when actions are taken on controls. No new download yet.

RexRhino(Posted 2005) [#19]
Everyone is working on a GUI, but no-one on the right type of GUI.

We don't need an imitation of Windows, MacOS, or some other GUI, we need a GUI library specificly designed for game interaces.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#20]
You will be able to skin this any way you want. At any rate I just wanted to see what I could come up with. What suggestions do you have, I'm open. :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#21]
RexRhino : Think Iglass :) The scott GUI seem to be for making utility ?

N(Posted 2005) [#22]
I wouldn't classify IGlass as a GUI library designed for games in specific.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#23]
We don't need an imitation of Windows, MacOS, or some other GUI, we need a GUI library specificly designed for game interaces.

True enough, especially as the Max GUI module handles native interfaces just fine.

At least it's done everything I've wanted so far and I've not managed to break it (much) in spite of my best efforts!

Filax(Posted 2005) [#24]
I have made Iglass for make little utility or game interface.