graphics and sound jerky

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/graphics and sound jerky

TomToad(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm a Blitz3D user that's recently bought BlitzMax. I tried to convert one of my old programs over to BlitzMax and found that the conversion has both the graphics and sound jerky while the BlitzBasic version is smooth.
I have both versions on my site with graphics and audio.

http://www.tomtoad.com/BlitzStuff/tiggerbb.zip
http://www.tomtoad.com/BlitzStuff/tiggerbmx.zip

[ETA] Strange, I just recompiled the program, unmodified, and now it runs just fine, although there's some tearing in the graphics. [/ETA]
[ETA2] Well, it seems to be working ok now. I fixed the tearing by using HARDSYNC in the graphics. As far as the jerkiness, I have no clue what was causing it, but I seem to have no problems now.[/ETA2]

Here is the code for the two diffeent versions.
BlitzBasic version

and BlitzMax version

I've tried using FlushMem before the Flip, but it didn't make any difference.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#2]
You need the flushmem anyway.
I don't get any sound issues but, if it's crackling, then there's an ongoing bug HERE
I changed the graphics to...
graphics 640,480,32,0
which made things look better although they didn't seem bad to begin with. I do get a few jerky movements, after about 30-40 seconds, lasting a couple of seconds but I put that down to being connected to the internet. I'll signoff and check whether it still occurs.

<edit> OK, the same jerky movement is there for about 2 seconds after 30 seconds but never seems to repeat (listened to Tigger bouncey, trouncey flounceying about 4 times).
In fact, I get the same jerky movement at the same time in B3D.
2700+, 9800Pro, WinXP XP2 with 1G RAM.

TomToad(Posted 2005) [#3]
This is weird. I recompiled and executed the program again and again and still had problems, then all of a sudden, without any additional changes, everything runs fine. There must've been some CPU hogging task running in the background I guess. I did notice that I'll need to put a HidMouse in there :)

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#4]
The jerky problem can be caused by having your video driver set to ignore vsync. I think it happens even if you specify HARDSYNC. That could explain why it come and goes. Maybe.