error: format limitations exceeded.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/error: format limitations exceeded.

Rimmsy(Posted 2005) [#1]
It's not so much a bug I think, it's more likely a reaction to low amounts of memory available. I've been compiling my game for a few days and I think it's beacause my Commit Charge is so high.

Usually it's around 400M/3054M but now it's at an all time high of 866M/3054M and I get this error when I try to compile.

A reboot won't stop this it appears. Hm. The code's too big to give you any extracts, but I'll have a look at what I changed recently.

Does blitz release all memory when finished or does it leave it up to me? In which case, how do I free memory when we've got flushmem?

Anyone else get this?

Rimmsy(Posted 2005) [#2]
Well my code runs fine in non-debug mode but still comes up with this error in debug mode. Currently the game uses around 85 meg of memory but I haven't optimised it yet.
Building main
Compiling:main.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.51
error: format limitations exceeded.

Process complete

Rimmsy(Posted 2005) [#3]
Alright, well, I best put this in the bug forum because it's stopped me working on my game.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
Memory is freed with end at the end of your application.
But this error isn't an error with the app itself but with assembler. Perhaps your code in a single bmx is just too long and with debug extension (debug build adds check routines etc) it exceeds the maximum size for an ASM to be assembled.

Because if it was an app error, there would come up the linking as well.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#5]
A reboot won't stop this it appears. Hm. The code's too big to give you any extracts, but I'll have a look at what I changed recently.

How large is your main.bmx source file?

Yan(Posted 2005) [#6]
I've posted a solution to this in you bug report.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#7]
I've posted a solution to this in your bug report.