3D Engine

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/3D Engine

Dazza(Posted 2005) [#1]
I think it was a biiig mistake releasing Max without the 3D engine.

I bought BlitzMax with the intention of migrating my Elite Blitz3D rewrite to it, without realising that it didn't come with a 3d engine.

I know there is an OpenGL module available but I hate OpenGL, and to be honest, I would rather write it in C++ if I had to use OpenGL.

The result: I've stopped work on the Blitz3D work (I was 75% there!), and i've not even touched the nice fresh install of BlitzMax.

I can't face going back to working in Blitz3D knowing that it is ultimately work I will throw away.

Anyways, back to my question, does anyone have any idea when the BlitzMax 3D entity engine will be released?

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
see Mark's worklog..

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#3]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=1&log=1

N(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well.. you were just being stupid then.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#5]
I THINK IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE TOOO!!!!

i also think it was a big mistake calling it BlitzMax...

and it was a really BIG mistake not writing it in Klingonese as opposed to English...

and what's the deal with that big white orb circling overhead at nights... i'd say that that was a big mistake...

and all that wet stuff at the lands end... didn't they know that someone could drown in it... big mistakeroooney...

AND THIS GRAVITY THING... WHATS THE DEAL WITH DAT!!!

:) (sorry Daz... don't hit me)

--Mike

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#6]
I bought BlitzMax with the intention of migrating my Elite Blitz3D rewrite to it, without realising that it didn't come with a 3d engine.

LOL!!! Thats a good one. You are joking, right?

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#7]
He must be. The product page clearly says:

Create 2D Games for MacOS, Windows and Linux

It clearly only mentions 2D so there will be no misunderstanding.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#8]
if you are 75% done with the B3d version. go ahead and finish it, you should still be able to use assets when Max3D comes out

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#9]
It certainly was a big mistake, but I think you've mis-identified the person who made that big mistake ;o)

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#10]
If you are that severely disappointed with this product, send BRL an email with your disappointment stated, you may be able to get a refund.

rest assured though that a 3D module will come out and you can use your time wisely by learning the intricacies of the language.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#11]
If the 3D engine comes out in 2 months Ill change my username to "DONT READ THIS POST"

N(Posted 2005) [#12]
you may be able to get a refund.

As far as I can see, BRL has always offered refunds regardless of date of purchase and other factors.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#13]
What bradford says is very wise.

I think it was a biiig mistake releasing Max without the 3D engine.

You'll get over it.

Then in the future you will probably pay more attention to what you are buying, ie reading the product info page. Lesson learnt, I hope.

Anyways, back to my question, does anyone have any idea when the BlitzMax 3D entity engine will be released?

Hmm, going by Mark's worklog and previous history regarding BRL estimates, I'm personally hoping for a November 2006 release. Any time before then is a bonus.

Sadly, he is not the only person to do such things. There was a similar thread started along these lines not 2 weeks ago. EDIT : I intentionally didn't name him ;]

N(Posted 2005) [#14]
Sadly, he is not the only person to do such things. There was a similar thread started along these lines not 2 weeks ago.

You must be speaking of Yavin's.

Dazza(Posted 2005) [#15]
Wow, nice positive responses!

You all really need to get out more!

Robert(Posted 2005) [#16]
Yes, cheer up you miserable people :)

Dazza, Mark hasn't given a release date for the 3D module (and probably a wise thing too!) There is a "Super Alpha" Max3D demo lurking in the Graphics Showcase, featuring some pretty nifty FX.

If I were you, I would complete your game in Blitz3D though. A quick look at the Gallery shows that B3D is still a pretty capable language, and you'll still get good results out of it. I may be wrong about this, but I don't think that Max3D will be source-compatible with B3D code, 'tis the price to pay for multi-pass rendering, shaders, shadows and (prays!) ODE-powered physics.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#17]
Robert

'but I don't think that Max3D will be source-compatible with B3D code'

There is a 'convertor' for Blitz -> Blitzmax code existing and Mark has stated his intention to keep Blitzmax accessible to the hobbyist basic programmers.

As to Blitz3d -> Blitzmax3d compatibility, it would be nice to have a word from Mark as to how similar the two are in terms of basic structure i.e. 3d entity management, character animation etc. I'm continuing to develop my game in B3d under the expectation that Blitzmax won't be a whole new ballgame when it comes to 3d entity management.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#18]
Yes, Mark should change the BMax product page to say:

"Create 2D Games for MacOS, Windows and Linux DOES NOT CREATE 3D GAMEZZZ! <----READ THIS IF YOU PLAN TO MIGRATE YOUR BLITZ 3D GAME INTO BLITZMAX FOR SOME REASON"

Or perhaps he should just stop selling it, and rerelease it in 5 months when the 3d module is done!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#19]
now i understand why Mark doesn't say much at all...

--Mike

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#20]
now i understand why Mark doesn't say much at all...

True, but I bet he sighs and/or sobs quite a bit.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#21]
I think he drowns himself in beer.

N(Posted 2005) [#22]
Vodka.

Tom(Posted 2005) [#23]
Dazza, you admittedly made a mistake yourself, you should try reading before buying in future.

A pointless & negative thread, needs deleting.

Dazza(Posted 2005) [#24]
I agree the replies are negative but I was just (eventually) asking a question!

Yes I made a mistake, not due to Mark misleading us, but my own big fat rush-to-buy mistake. I have no problem or issue with that at all.

I guess I was trying to get across my disappointment and surprise (after realising my mistake) that having created such a brilliant tool in Blitz3D, that BlitzMax doesn't have 3D out-of-the-box. It felt like a step backwards in that respect. That's all.

Anyways, enough already.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#25]
yeah... give the guy a break... after all, this is supposed to be a helping community... right...

i think that the point has been driven home to the Nth degree...

we all had our lil fun... and, for the most part, that's all it was D...

don't take it too seriously... most of these people are gonna be the ones that will gladly be offering answers and help to your questions in the future...

... and the rest of em, you can ignore.

--Mike

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#26]
When Blitz Basic was initially released for the PC it didn't have 3D out of the box. Blitz3D arrived much later. Why has it suddenly become a big deal that Mark has used exactly the same release stratagy for the Max line of products? Just a thoght.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#27]
Think of it as a chance to get to grips with the syntax of the language before the 3D goodies arrive ;)

RiK(Posted 2005) [#28]
If Mark had waited until he had the 3d module ready then all the people who *have* been happily coding 2d apps in Max for many months now would have missed out.

As it is, those people have now built up a good grasp of the core language and contributed a lot to strengthen the community in advance of the imprending GUI module and eventual 3d module.

I for one am not worried about the 3d stuff at all right now ( looking forward to the GUI though) and so it would have been a real shame to have still been waiting for Max just because the 3d mod isn't finished.