When will the 3d module be published?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/When will the 3d module be published?

nadia(Posted 2005) [#1]
Sorry to nag about this but then if you don't ask you don't get or something like that?

Now will it be a few weeks, one or two month or half a year or more?
Surely Mark you could give some kind of hint...please!!!

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#2]
would estimate more than a half year as actually the effort is put into GUI to finish it and a next gen 3D module is by far more work than a GUI system (which needed 4-5 months now)

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#3]
still.. I think that Skid's been banging away on the GUI module, while Mark has been banging away on the 3D module..
atleast, that's how I interpreted the situation from what they have been writing here...

it was estimated 6 months in May, but I'd expect perhaps 6 months from now or so...
(there's always something happening.. :P)

maximo(Posted 2005) [#4]
>would estimate more than a half year

it feels like a half a year since I last time said it would take it half a year or more. In halv a year it will still be halv a year, it seems.

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#5]
Like every other game engine upgrades...."It'll be released when it's ready."

GW(Posted 2005) [#6]
I think that Skid's been banging away on the GUI module, while Mark has been banging away on the 3D module..

I just wish someone was banging away on a 'Bug-fix' module!
so many things are broken..

ryan scott(Posted 2005) [#7]
i still can't believe there are not more people working on this. Blitz is fantastic but really should be not be an effort of more people by now? Lots of us rely on blitz but I don't feel like there's a real company behind it, i feel like it is 99% Mark and no backup at all. It should not take 6 months to come out with a 3d module, I mean come on. Who runs a company with basically one lead tech and no one else? Ok maybe a few other guys but lets get serious here. Mark's brilliant but he's only one guy.

This thing should have several guys working on it and you probably aren't going to like this, but it should cost at least $250. I'd pay over $1000 for it, especially if I knew there was a company behind it and all support wasn't provided by the community who actually have little real information from inside.

Technical people should not run companies. They should run technology. They can *own* companies, but not *run* companies. Otherwise the end result is great tech with little or none of the other things that are important to the users.

ryan scott(Posted 2005) [#8]
Blitz is always going to have a hobbiest feel and reputation unless it is run more seriously.

I am wondering, since Blitz Max modules are written in Blitz Max, can't someone else develop a 3d engine or is that not doable? Not that someone is volunteering, but I am just wondering. It seems that one of the points of the current architecure is that you can do things like that.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#9]
Sure he's only 1 guy, but I have every faith in Mark to bring us the goods.

Programming a 3D engine with a team?...I think this is unheard of, most games have one lead 3D engine programmer and so I don't think the BlitzMax 3D module requires more than one person.

I am happy to sit back and use Blitz3D which is an accomplished piece of software, safe in the trust that Mark can deliver similar but better using DX9 and OpenGL.

I say patience is a virtue, sure we are all eager to see our normal mapped/bump mapped doom3 slayer lol but this is going to take time...and I think it will be well worth the wait.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#10]
It should not take 6 months to come out with a 3d module, I mean come on.

you high?
I mean.. many 3D engines have been in development for years before release..

Tom Darby(Posted 2005) [#11]
What LarsG said. You want something half-baked and ornery, sure, 6 months'll do it. You want something well-thought-out, designed, planned, tested, stable, cross-platform and ready for use, 6 months is just about enough to hash out the overall design.

Add to this the fact that you need to address bugfixes and wrap up the GUI module, it's pretty impressive these guys can crank stuff out as quickly as they do.

We paid all of eighty bucks for a pretty damned good product. It's not like Mark is making money hand over fist; he can't just up and hire more grunts to tackle this stuff unless he were to increase the price. Sure, I'm antsy for the bugfixes, but I'm also quite aware of the fact that I got Blitz for a song, and that Mark can only do so much with the resources he has. Give 'im a break.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#12]
This thing should have several guys working on it and you probably aren't going to like this, but it should cost at least $250. I'd pay over $1000 for it, especially if I knew there was a company behind it and all support wasn't provided by the community who actually have little real information from inside.

You might be in the minority there. There are some really impressive alternatives around for ~$1000. Blitz is not in the same league as Quest3d and Unity, and my flabber will be gasted if that changes soon.

RiK(Posted 2005) [#13]
I certainly wouldn't want to be getting into $1000 territory but I agree, I personally would be happy to pay a bit more to see Blits get better support.

I'm not worried about the 3d module as that's not my cup of tea but I am certainly looking forward to the GUI mod and dearly hoping that the docs will get the attention they so desperately deserve.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#14]
When will the 3d module be published?

Est 6 months from 16th May - a stated in another thread, I personally expect to see it around November 2006.

a next gen 3D module is by far more work than a GUI system

How do you figure that? It's not a homegrown system and it's not a simple wrapper for one platform. It's a wrapper for 3 platforms (still not hard) AND an ecapsulation layer to get all three of them working the same with one command set (task for a madman).

i feel like it is 99% Mark and no backup at all.

As mentioned just a few posts above yours, it's 50% Mark, 50% Simon (with a possible rumoured 50% mysterious someotherguy, btw). But, you are right. They should get some better marketing, bump prices slightly and in the long term, get more coders.

Eventually Mark and Simon will die. Then what will happen to BlitzMaxPlus II Super Deluxe Infinity Mega Turkey Puncher edition?

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#15]
Eventually Mark and Simon will die. Then what will happen to BlitzMaxPlus II Super Deluxe Infinity Mega Turkey Puncher edition?

DarkBasic Pro Legend G.O.D. Extreme Development System Area 51 Edition will take over as the new next-gen game development language?

Tom Darby(Posted 2005) [#16]
Dammit, now I want to go out and punch turkeys. Thanks a lot, guys.

wildboar(Posted 2005) [#17]
Just another show of support for Blitzmax... a fast, CROSS-PLATFORM, game-oriented (2D and 3D) version of BASIC... for only $80!!! Sign me up! As a Mac user, maybe I can appreciate that term more. Mmmm... cross-platform. Yes, I'd LOVE complete documentation... but... $80! Even though it feels somewhat 'unfinished' it is a great product. I'm having enough fun with it while waiting for updates.

art <><(Posted 2005) [#18]
it makes around 2 years that it is spoken abuot blitzmax, waiting for few months it is not a problem. But that is not delayed much, because we have much stopped work. I animate to the programmers and patience for the others...

<>< ART ...from spain.

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#19]
I would not pay 250 for bmax, I'd start using xcode