Question to Mark on collisions

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Question to Mark on collisions

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi there,

I know I am impatient to you can slap me for that :-)
I have a question: with the 3D module that is in development,
will there be collision detection?
And, will this support meshes that are moving?

For Wobbles (BLitz3D) I used a collision system from
Nuclear Glory (DLL) only for movable/rotatable meshes.
With this system you can define if the character ignores
the mesh movement/rotations it is colliding with, or not.
...Unfortunately the collision system behaves badly sometimes. Will the Blitzmax collision module support this?

jhague(Posted 2005) [#2]
The screenshots in Mark's worklog show physics, so naturally there has to be collision detection.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
That is true. Unfortunately, physics adds some complexity to collisions particularly when it comes to user moved objects. I hope there will be some help with this.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#4]
yepp but it adds a very needed option: that if you move "too fast" you still can't get through other objects without colliding. A very bad problem B3D was suffering off

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#5]
well, I had much problems with character controls in Wobbles. In the beginning it was a physics object, but it didnt control very well. Sometimes you dont want friction and other stuff done by a physics engine, but you want to program it yourself.
Later on It became a regular object (e.g pressing joystick to the right, moves the character by 10 pixels). The character had a physics object attached to it that didn't respond to other objects. Conclusion: messy.

I hope that physics are optional, not standard.