Please test my rain system

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Please test my rain system

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#1]
i've been playing around with my weather system a bit, and I would like to see what you guys think of it. Any ideas of how to make it better?

Also, what are some weather/camera effects that you would like to see?

http://www.altitude-studios.com/blitzmax/raindemo.zip

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#2]
I like it looks good, wouldn't mind look at the source:P

also do you have a good open source collision system using arrays I have seen your other one just wanting to know.

REDi(Posted 2005) [#3]
Nice one altitudems, looks good, how about randomizing the scale of the splash/ripple anim, might add a bit of variety.
Also I quite like the look of double flashes for lightning, seems more realistic to me, maybe you could try that, sometimes one flash and sometimes two.

Also, what are some weather/camera effects that you would like to see?

You could add some moving cloud shadows when its sunny. (and obviously brighten things up a bit as well)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#4]
Really nice.

Kev(Posted 2005) [#5]
very nice, i like the split screen also.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#6]
Altitudem, if this is another part of your 2d engine then it's looks as if it's going to be fantastic.
Have you got a worklog so people can keep an eye on any progress?

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#7]
Nice!

The r0nin(Posted 2005) [#8]
I like! Not so much that it obscures the gameplay elements, but enough that it adds atmosphere. Probably could use an occasional larger or smaller splash sprite (they all looked the same size to me), but it is top notch.

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#9]
Thanks for the support guys. The weather system is part of the game engine I am making. When I have the engine fairly far along I will post the source and maybe turn it into a community project. So far things have been going very smoothly. I will keep uploading demos for you guys so that you can see its progress.

@FBEpyon
What sort of collision code are you looking for again? Give me some more info and give you some source.

@Papa Lazarou
Those are some great ideas keep them coming.

@tonyg
If I get time I might start a worklog, but to be honest I would much rather post my progress in the forums. Not everyone reads the worklogs.

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#10]
Im lookin for Tilemap(Array) collision thats not sticky

basicly Im looking for collision that if your in a corner you stop, but you can slide against a wall if you are pressing down and left against the wall.. down being the direct you can still move.

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#11]
@FBEpyon
Give me a few minutes and I'll post some source for you.

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#12]
very nice.
1. agree with Papa about the ripple sizes
2. lightning/thunder should not make the cam shake. maybe reserve that for an explosion of some sort (bomb, etc)
3. possibly create a storm center that has a varying degree of rain. when storm center is further away, delay between lightning and thunder is greater.
ZAP--BANG! (louder)
ZAP----------------------bang (Softer)

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#13]
@bradford6
You're right the camera shouldn't shake when lightning strikes, but I just thought it added to the effect. Actualy, thunder can create vibrations, so there you go.
Storm center sounds like a good idea too.

@FBEpyon
Here is your code:

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#14]
I agree that thunder would shake it a little, i would just reserve the BIG shakes for explosions and such. It is a very cool effect nonetheless!

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#15]
@altitudems

wow thats some insain code, im still rather new to this.. My old collision system works okay, but lost it and was really basic this one is a bit advance can you put in a little more comments..

if you want email me...

here is what I have now.

Function TESTLINKCOLLISION:Int(COL_X:Int,COL_Y:Int,DIRECTION:Int)

If DIRECTION = LINK_NORTH

If TILEMAP[(((COL_X+16)+MAP_X)/16),((COL_Y+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID Or TILEMAP[((COL_X+MAP_X)/16),((COL_Y+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID
			LINK_Y = LINK_Y + LINK_SPEED
		EndIf 

ElseIf DIRECTION = LINK_EAST

If TILEMAP[(((COL_X+16)+MAP_X)/16),((COL_Y+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID Or TILEMAP[(((COL_X+16)+MAP_X)/16),(((COL_Y+16)+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID
			LINK_X = LINK_X - LINK_SPEED			
		EndIf

ElseIf DIRECTION = LINK_SOUTH

If TILEMAP[(((COL_X+16)+MAP_X)/16),(((COL_Y+16)+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID Or TILEMAP[((COL_X+MAP_X)/16),(((COL_Y+16)+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID	
			LINK_Y = LINK_Y - LINK_SPEED
		EndIf

ElseIf DIRECTION = LINK_WEST

If TILEMAP[((COL_X+MAP_X)/16),((COL_Y+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID Or TILEMAP[((COL_X+MAP_X)/16),(((COL_Y+16)+MAP_Y)/16),LAYER_S] = MASK_SOLID
			LINK_X = LINK_X + LINK_SPEED			
		EndIf
end function

for the time being im using zelda graphics for testing of my engine once i get everything done I will convert to my own graphics for a oringal title..

I can't get the collision to work right going in two directions :(