Questions regarding OGL DX etc...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Questions regarding OGL DX etc...

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is not a vs. thread.

I am into the indie scene, and know that your target audience arent often the most up-to-date in technology. Regarding gfx drivers and top-notch video cards and pc's.

Most of the people who buy games, buy games which require dx7 or dx8, and it seems even less people like OpenGL games on the indie scene. Unless ofcourse cross platform comes into question.

My question is, do we at all know if Max3D will have dx7 bindings too ? Or should I shelve out for Blitz3D ?

I am uber happy with blitzmax ( max2d ) and will definately be using it, but would just like to know your thoughts.

Thanks.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'd wait for the Max3D module...
I bet Mark's got some nifty stuff up his sleeve,
and I'll also bet you'd regret not getting Max3D instead of B3D..

..or... you could buy B3D now.. and *also* buy Max3D when it's released.. :)

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#3]
:)

yeah, I am really hoping that there will be dx7/8 support as well as 9.

Hey, if not it is still cool, would just like as much compatibility with users.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#4]
*bump*

anyone else have input ? I have cash lying on my desk, lol, been playing with b3d and i really like it, but i am still in 2 minds you know ?

How much life is still left in b3d, I would think a lot because of the dx7 requirements.

Ah screw it, i think i should wait for Max3D

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#5]
Does this help? http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=47713

Yan(Posted 2005) [#6]
From what little information BR has made public, it seems that the Max3D module is gonna be DX9/OGL and possibly require shader capable cards, to begin with at least.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#7]
yeah, that it what I was a leeetle worried about. I mean it is cool and all ( as in I cant frikkin wait for it, and am gonna buy it anyway - max3d ), dont get me wrong. But as an indie, you narrow down your customer base.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think either you have to choose between a module that someone else has written like Max3D and settle for its quirks and structures, or otherwise make your own. Making your own ultimately gives you more freedom.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#9]
I dont mind useing middleware ( max3d ), I just want to know what systems specs it will need to run. Writing your own is a lot more complicated ofcourse, I would rather get down to making a game, and not an engine.