About 3D graphics and A.I.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/About 3D graphics and A.I.

Haramanai(Posted 2005) [#1]
Don't blame my writing.

I tried to use irrlicht 3d for graphics engine (ported by GMAN ) and when I begun able to set a scene I realized that in reality I have done nothing. Stupid enemies and no true interaction. what I am trying to say is that it's better in my pour opinion (and English) to have a basic A.I. (Path Finding) in an engine than wonderful graphics.

In the end my dreams for a 3D game broke down because I don't have the knowledge and the time to learn all this A. I. stuff.

I just wanted to say those thinks to someone. This is the reason that I am writing this down.

Goodbye. (Until something better comes).

Filax(Posted 2005) [#2]
Good bye cruel world, i'm leaving you today....

Good bye, good bye, good bye...

Good bye all you people, there's nothing you can say
to make me change my mind, good bye...

Pink Floyd (the wall)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yea life is tough when you are lazy. :)

The r0nin(Posted 2005) [#4]
Pick up Neverwinter Nights. That gives you a complete engine, scripting system, and development tools. Granted, you're only making modules rather than your own game, but that seems to be what you want. First, no one (let me repeat NO ONE) is going to create a robust and full-featured engine with graphics, A.I., etc. and not charge tons of money for it. What you want is to license a commercial engine, but you want it for free. Ain't happening.

Two, no engine will ever exactly fit your dream game (and if it does, get out of the business of making games, because someone else has ALREADY made your dream game). So you'd better get used to tweaking all of the various elements of an engine.

So try modding a game first (like NWN or HL2), especially one that has been set up for it. Then go get yourself some sourcecode from an old game and reprogram it. Then come back to making your own game from scratch...

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#5]
Class reply from filax. Still laughing :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#6]
:)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#7]
BlitzMax is a programming language not an engine.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
It does take quite a lot of effort with difficult programming tasks to come up with a whole engine or game, it's not just as easy as drag and drop or something like that. There is so much more under the surface, and it can take quite a long time to get a grasp of more complicated stuff. Lots to learn. Keep at it.

Muttley(Posted 2005) [#9]
AngelDaniel: Agree totally. That's half the fun, isn't it. :)

Muttley

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#10]
hahahahahHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

you guys are toooooo much...

give the poor guy a break, and maybe offer up a lil explanation of why the make_my_game_for_me() function hasn't been implemented just yet in BlitzMax...

good man AngelD...

bad Filax, bad Lenn :) :) *** i'm still laughing ***

--Mike

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yeah, I can certainly remember `back in the old days` trying to work with Amos Basic and such, I thought my programs were like really cool and sophisticated but they did the most basic of things and I had very little grasp of more complicated stuff. But over time, I gradually gradually moved up to higher levels and more ability. So you have have to hang in there and keep learning, have patience, grow and keep experimenting.

If you want to make a full game you're going to need more than just some 3D graphics routines, you're gunna have to write file routines, networking, intelligence, control systems, physics, etc. And that's just to get a full engine in place, that doesn't even begin to talk about all the design involved in making it into a `game` and having some themes/characters/stories/levels etc. These days it's all too easy to think that all you have to do is throw together a big hand-crafted 3D object and let the player move around it, that's nothing short of an object viewer, it's not a game, but people seem to be fascinated with that. There is a lot more to it. Try working with 2D games for a while to get a grasp of what is really involved.

kenshin(Posted 2005) [#12]
I'd say that the easiest part is writing the game. The most difficult part is writing the engine that runs the game. It's too easy to get overwhelmed by the big scheme of things or to set goals for yourself that are not realistic. Don't get disheartened though. If you keep plodding along you WILL get there.