IDE tips

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/IDE tips

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#1]
There are:

Protean - very incomplete
BLIde - currently buggy
Eclipse - currently not fully supported

Work is going on with all IDE's but if you are using an LCD and the default editor, it pays to change the FONT used by the editor to at least "courier new" instead of courier. This will activate cleartype settings and make it far nicer to work with.

The default setting is pixellated and not too nice on LCD panels, I thought people would like to know this before setting off in search for other IDE's.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#2]
The default setting is pixellated and not too nice on LCD panels, I thought people would like to know this before setting off in search for other IDE's.
Looks fine on my LCD screen.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#3]
Have you enabled cleartype in the OS?

Perhaps you have a poor quality LCD, as viewing the text without cleartype is virtually unusable, or maybe you've got used to that. Not flaming btw :)

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#4]
<bad tempered complaint about posting in wrong forum removed>

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#5]
Alright, next time then.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#6]
<unhelpful off topic posts removed>

DH(Posted 2005) [#7]
ahem, as my post said (which was on topic thank you):

In my opinion, the "courier new" looked worse than the "courier" on my 19" flat lcd" The Courier is the trick for me.

[in addition]: If you merely change the colors you will find that you might be better acustom to some colors than others.

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#8]
its not an unhelpful post, fish is trying to help

edit: go fish! . lol had too

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#9]
Apologies for that DH.

When running AppleOS 10.4 there is an option for disabling font smoothing below certain point sizes which when set to 18, gave some excellent results for small fonts that looked total crap when smoothed.

DH(Posted 2005) [#10]
Also, check to see that your resolution is set at the optimal for the lcd monitor.

I know with 15" lcds, you need to run a resolution of 1024x768 otherwise everything looks like crap (because it isn't the monitor's optimal resolution).

My 19" lcd needs to run at 1280x1024 to not look pixelated.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#11]
Interesting that people have varied results here - but good to know to get maximum benefit from it - after all, we stare at it for many hours.

When looking at the default IDE without cleartype my eyes had to strain a lot to comprehend - it was quite bad. I also had to set it to 12pt Courier New.

Why some people find the opposite, I've no idea. Also in the IDE, the tree view on the right is never affected by cleartype (I wish it was).

Hey skid, I know you were just trying to be helpful.

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#12]
i just changed to cleartype on here, its a bit strange at first but its better now,

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#13]
The microsoft Power toy for cleartype is free and installs itsself in cpanel. It's only really useful for people who's LCD display the ||| RGB pixel as RBG or so on.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#14]
I've always liked FixedSys because of it chunky retro look and the equally retro ZERO (using a slash) which helps to avoid the mixing up of O and 0: